two questions first soundesign

thebikingtechie

So I'm doing this sound design for a play "Mail Order Bride", I need to present at least a rough copy to the director tomorrow.

There are a few places where the sound needs to fade out and in, or to fade out well before the track is over. I'm not running sound, a complete newbie is (I have another show). Should I try and time it and edit in the correct fades, or should I just leave notes on when to fade the sound in and out?

Also, I need to find five songs, three from 1908 two from 1924, there's an assortment of genres, and some need to be just one fiddle and others can be a small band. They are all in the old time country dance genre, ie. Waltzes, Polkas, etc. Any ideas on where to find something? All I can find from that period is the more popular singing artists.

By the way just for the record, in addition to being one of my most helpful sources, this forum is one of the biggest addictive waste of times for me (not as much as a waste of time, but a re-appropriator), second only to youtube. I swear I came on an hour ago with the intent to ask this question, and I'm just now getting to asking it. Oh well, I needed the break.

Always leave the cues long and assign the op to take care of the fades, that way if the scene runs short or long you're covered.

As for the music, start with the internet. Then there's always the local library. Even small ones usually have some dusty LPs in the stacks. The library where I went to college didn't let us take out some of the older stuff, but had facilities to make copies for "study" purposes.

The best option though, would be to record them yourself. That way the cues match in terms of production values. Don't worry about the budget. You can likely find a couple local musicians who would be willing to blast a couple tracks to help out the local HS production for free.

What type of computer are you running this show on, and what software are you using?

I'm actually running off CD, in the past there have always been major problems with running it off the computer (freezing, going at the wrong time etc.) so the producer wants it on CD this time. I was talking about editing the actual sound file to put on CD.

What kind of computer(s) do you have available to you? How old are they? What do they have on them?

I own an Ibook, it's three years old, but it works fine, it's got Qlab on it. That's moot though because I've been asked by the producer to run it on Cd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back