Two video signals, Two projectors, One computer?

"hippo"= Green Hippo Hippotizer (media server). TCP is TCP/IP or a network protocol and OSC is Open Sound Control....another type of network signalling protocol. cues in Isadora can be set up to receive either of these protocols with a "listener", and then the cue can be written to fire after receiving the trigger. So you set up a Mac mini as a slave to the master computer (networked) with all of it's cues written to "listen" for trigger from the master. In my experience, wireless video with a switching solution= pain. But it's do-able....just have to find the right combo of gear.

Hi,

I'm a video designer doing the same thing except with three projectors for a theatre production. I need to be able to project to three different projectors with different native resolutions, and would like the projection to be at the highest res possible for each projector. To complicate things - I'm looking for solutions to this - not sure if it's possible, but one of the projecors is a pico, and I'd like to transmit wireless video to it (I realize this may be difficult to gain the highest res in this case), and connect that projector to a live camera feed as well as projecting from Isadora or QLab, so I'll need some kind of switching solution. I have a year to set this up in an ideal way, but budget is a concern. We'll be doing workshops in the meantime to try and test things out so that the projection will be stable. In an ideal world, I would like to use one computer, because there'll be an as-yet unknown operator, and after install, I'd like things to be as simple as possible for the stage manager ad the operator, who'll likely run all cues for sound and image from one source, if possible. So while we rehearse, we'll use Isadora for exploring video live, and once we've settled on choices, we'll render effects in FCP and likely run Qlab for both sound and image. I've googled it, but what's a hippo? And in the mac mini scenario, what's OSC and TCP? How might you set this up?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a video designer doing the same thing except with three projectors for a theatre production. I need to be able to project to three different projectors with different native resolutions, and would like the projection to be at the highest res possible for each projector.
Are you looking at the same image to three different projectors or the possibility of a different image to each projector?

While it might be ideal to send each projector its own native resolution, what might be more important is finding a single resolution that all of them accept and let them scale that internally.

To complicate things - I'm looking for solutions to this - not sure if it's possible, but one of the projecors is a pico, and I'd like to transmit wireless video to it (I realize this may be difficult to gain the highest res in this case), and connect that projector to a live camera feed as well as projecting from Isadora or QLab, so I'll need some kind of switching solution.
Why do you want wireless video, is the projector portable? If you have to get power to the projector then having a physical cable for the video is usually a better approach. The same when budget is a concern. The application and impact of reliability, latency and so on may also be factors. Getting wireless video to work is one thing, doing so within your budget and in a manner that provides the desired quality and reliability may be another.

The live video feed adds an additional set of considerations as does the routing/switching aspect. With multiple sources and destinations you typically need to look at what signal types (HD/SD-SDI, FireWire, VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc.) are involved as well as the related formats and resolutions and as a result may have to look at either gear that works with the signal types involved or incorporating separate signal conversion. Also, if you are thinking of using the image for image magnification then issues regarding latency, time alignment of the video with any associated audio and so on may also be factors.

I have a year to set this up in an ideal way, but budget is a concern.
If it is a concern then having some idea of what it is and what it has to cover (e.g. graphics production, cabling, hardware, etc. in addition to the main video gear) would be useful. No use wasting time on suggestions that do not fit the available budget.

In an ideal world, I would like to use one computer, because there'll be an as-yet unknown operator, and after install, I'd like things to be as simple as possible for the stage manager ad the operator, who'll likely run all cues for sound and image from one source, if possible. So while we rehearse, we'll use Isadora for exploring video live, and once we've settled on choices, we'll render effects in FCP and likely run Qlab for both sound and image.
Are you thinking one projector to handle the graphic content playback, the live video input, the routing and switching and all the associated processing? I doubt that is practical.

Hi all,
I was really getting a lot out of this thread, but then it ended and I need to know what happened!:)

Can you tell me what your final set up was? I have a very similar situation coming up soon and am looking for advice on how to set it up.
The production design includes 4 screens (one upstage center and 2 downstage center, 1 down left, and 1 down right), showing different scenes (some still and some animation, no audio), and at one point a live feed of a close up.
The throws will be short, 25' at the most and its all front projection.
We are using Qlab Pro.
How many MacBook Pros do we need?
What accessories?
I do not like video black and am planning to use some dmx dowsers.

It's a low budget charity theatre project, so we are hoping to borrow and it all, but I need to make the wish list.
If you have a strategy for this that you don't mind sharing with me and the rest of the world, please share it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have not used Qlab at all, so I can't advise you on this matter. Where is your fourth screen?

Anyhow, instead of dealing with video black in situations like that, I generally default to a logo or some other static image. I don't like looking at blank screens more than video black.

The production design includes 4 screens (one upstage center and 2 downstage center, 1 down left, and 1 down right), showing different scenes (some still and some animation, no audio), and at one point a live feed of a close up.
I agree with Ruinexplorer, that seems like either three (one upstage and two downstage) or five (one upstage and four downstage) screens. And when you mention 'showing different scenes' do you mean a) changing images but the same images on all screens, b) always a different image on each screen or c) varying combinations of the same or different images on each screen?

It's a low budget charity theatre project, so we are hoping to borrow and it all, but I need to make the wish list.
I completely understand wanting to try to support the vision defined, but might it make more sense to assess what budget is available and what realistically can be borrowed before developing any particular concept? I'm immediately seeing things like how realistic is it to borrow five screens and five projectors with appropriate lenses as well as all the related mounting hardware and DMX dowsers? You might want to verify the general concept is practical before going too much further.

I find that this is often one of the most difficult aspects of theatre tech, trying to not limit the creative vision while having to deal with the laws of physics and practical considerations. When the two conflict creative solutions can often get around the conflicts but the laws of physics and practical considerations are rarely as easy to alter no matter how much some may like to think it is possible.

Thank you for your advice. I did make a mistake listing the projectors. There is only 1 DC, not 2. I have given the producers a list of equipment and will see what happens next.
Hope you will continue to monitor the situation!

I agree with Ruinexplorer, that seems like either three (one upstage and two downstage) or five (one upstage and four downstage) screens. And when you mention 'showing different scenes' do you mean a) changing images but the same images on all screens, b) always a different image on each screen or c) varying combinations of the same or different images on each screen?

I completely understand wanting to try to support the vision defined, but might it make more sense to assess what budget is available and what realistically can be borrowed before developing any particular concept? I'm immediately seeing things like how realistic is it to borrow five screens and five projectors with appropriate lenses as well as all the related mounting hardware and DMX dowsers? You might want to verify the general concept is practical before going too much further.

I find that this is often one of the most difficult aspects of theatre tech, trying to not limit the creative vision while having to deal with the laws of physics and practical considerations. When the two conflict creative solutions can often get around the conflicts but the laws of physics and practical considerations are rarely as easy to alter no matter how much some may like to think it is possible.

To answer your question regarding the screens:
c) Its different images most of the time. Occasionally they are the same.
1 UC
1 DC
1 DSL
1 DSR

And as far as budget and equipment we are doing well so far.
We have:
4 screens
4 4K projectors,
4 dmx dowsers,
2 Dualhead2go,
2 macbook pros with full QLab licenses
and 2 G-drives.

Still working on the camcorder and switcher for the live feed.
We will be building the cradles to hang the projectors and dowsers in the theatre.
And we don't have a UPS. Which will probably prove to be our Achille's heal.

Please stay tuned for technical difficulties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back