Unconventional uses of lights

I worked in the tv station in Saigon during the Vietnam war. We used the scoops to cook our pizza.

We do something similar with our Panasonic projector. The 4 lamps get rather hot, so we stick our burgers and hot dogs behind the cooling fans to keep them warm.

Do you have pictures of how the scoops looked? We were considering something similar for a recent production, but canned it due to where the scoops would have had to hang, and used piles of pars instead. Im interested in seeing how that looked, sounds kind of cool!
It actually was pretty cool! I have a "4.48 Psychosis" album in my profile here. There are some really obvious hotspots, but that's honestly a design choice. ;) You'll see in the photos that the light from the different scoops blended really well, especially between the red and blue. The washes they created were really cool--definitely purple, but still distinctly red and blue.

This would probably not have worked nearly as well in a larger space, though.

Looks really good, I like how the washes work. I am impressed by the scoop output, finicky things when dealing with more saturated tints...

For a stylized production of "Wizard of OZ" I had to create a tornado. I put a SourceFour on a little mini-wagon, pointed straight up. It had a Twin-Spin in it and two ropes extending to each wing. When it came time for the tornado two stagehands pulled it back and forth in front of the cyc. It had a pretty cool moving conical effect that at the time I thought was great but looking back I think it looked more like a lava lamp on speed.

Good to see I'm not the only one here who uses hugely expensive equipment to warm 2 day old pizza.
Nick

Good to see I'm not the only one here who uses hugely expensive equipment to warm 2 day old pizza.
Nick

Whats the point of having 100 grand worth of electronics if not to keep the techs comfortable in the winter and heat up their food?

Not to meantion my Custom Gobo with a picture of me with my arms crossed looking disaproving. Should anyone be doing somthing wrong, I push up my submaster and BAM there's angry Nick 10ft high!
Nick

BAM there's angry Nick 10ft high!

That's a lot of angry Nick.

Oh, and I forgot about an outdoor show setup where we used 2K fresnels to charge up our glow in the dark frisbees. I'm pretty sure they could be seen from space. (Hint: pitch black + glowing disks = no depth perception = "MAN are these things hard to catch !!")

My watch is getting old and all of the glow-in-the-darkyness is starting to fade, so I hold it in front of one of the domes, and it stays luminescent for the remainder of the show, I could just look at the clock in front of me on the console, but where's the fun in that.
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back