Unusual Rigging Situation

I've searched the board here for a bit, and I haven't been able to find a question similar to mine- I hope it hasn't been repeated.

I'm master carpenter for a community theatre production of Farndale...Macbeth. The script calls for flying in some props- things like a "moon" that must fall to the ground, a bloody doll, etc. We'll be putting on the show in a black box theatre without a fly system (or much of a budget, either).

What I have read here pretty much sends the message If you do this without the help of a professional, horrible things will happen and people will be killed!

But...we're talking about things like lowering a bloody doll down from a height of about 10-12 feet. Not set pieces or curtains.

The director is also designing the set, so we'll be meeting on Saturday to discuss how to make this happen. I think he has some experience with rigging (my background is not in theatre- but, luckily, his is). He's already touched upon using some sort of "fishing pole" set up for some of the pieces.

I'd like to go in prepared with some ideas- or alternatives- of my own. I want to emphasize safety. Does anyone have any advice?

Actually, this isn't too unusual, provided you have the right professionals to help you do it right. But to avoid violating the TOS, let's not get specific here in our solutions.

Any CB'ers in her area that can help her out?
Maybe this company could be a start?
GLP & Maryland Stage Lighting

Actually, this isn't too unusual, provided you have the right professionals to help you do it right. But to avoid violating the TOS, let's not get specific here in our solutions.

Any CB'ers in her area that can help her out?
Maybe this company could be a start?
GLP & Maryland Stage Lighting

Unfortunately, the two solutions I'm seeing (due to budget constraints) are finding someone to volunteer their time, or finding an alternative way to do this.

Unfortunately, the two solutions I'm seeing (due to budget constraints) are finding someone to volunteer their time, or finding an alternative way to do this.

Or use objects that won't hurt anyone if they fall. Without knowing the script, I'd say get a piece of white fabric or even paper, and pain the moon on it-- that's not going to hurt anyone in the unlikely event it falls. Some type of rope or tie-line can then be run over the pipes in the grid (with pulleys or guides if needed-- just make sure these are secure) to an area backstage. For the doll find something soft and light that you're comfortable having dropped on your head and go at it with fake blood.

Or use objects that won't hurt anyone if they fall. Without knowing the script, I'd say get a piece of white fabric or even paper, and pain the moon on it-- that's not going to hurt anyone in the unlikely event it falls. Some type of rope or tie-line can then be run over the pipes in the grid (with pulleys or guides if needed-- just make sure these are secure) to an area backstage. For the doll find something soft and light that you're comfortable having dropped on your head and go at it with fake blood.

Well, I was thinking along the same lines- another thing we'd have to fly are two "daggers"- but those could be made small and very thin (it's a small theatre, but the way it's built means that three-dimensional props are usually best) and out of something very light. The beauty of this play is that it's a spoof on community theatre- the props are supposed to look like amateur props.

But, like I said, most of what I've read seems to indicate that if I do this wrong, something terrible could happen. It's hard for me to imagine a moon I made out of styrofoam harming someone if it falls on their head from only a couple of feet above them, but theatre isn't my background, and I'd like to learn how to either work around this or do this best.

If you use styrofoam or cardboard or anything that you would be willing to drop on your grandmother's head from 12 feet, then you're fine. Use pulleys and tie line.

Except. . . Both those things are highly flammable. So make sure they're staying well away from any lights, etc., and/or treat them with a flame retardant available at your local theatrical supply.

If you use styrofoam or cardboard or anything that you would be willing to drop on your grandmother's head from 12 feet, then you're fine. Use pulleys and tie line.

Except. . . Both those things are highly flammable. So make sure they're staying well away from any lights, etc., and/or treat them with a flame retardant available at your local theatrical supply.

I'd recommend polystyrene over cardboard. Cardboard looks pretty crappy when it's been painted, and depending on the angles of the lights on it, the ripples created in the cardboard from the moisture of the paint can either disappear or stick out like a sore thumb. Toss a couple coats of latex paint with flame retardant additive on a polystyrene cut-out and you'll be fine. I've done this before on medium-size scenery pieces and our AHJ has performed flame tests and found this method of applying flame retardant to be sufficient.

Thanks for the input, everyone- building them light and making them relatively safe to have near lights should be no problem, sounds like- so thank you for the advice!

If you need somebody to put eyes on your theatre or act as a sounding board, I am about two hrs away in Salisbury. PM me if I can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back