Upgrading Lights to DMX & a Laptop

cloves

Hi everyone,

I run a small DJ entertainment company and recently we have upgraded our lights offering. We currently have 3 American DJ DMX Mystic LEDS and 1 American DJ Hyper Gem. We normally setup up our lights to sound active mode. We just got a laptop and would now like to control the lights via software using the DMX function. Based on what I am finding on the web and this website, the Enttec USB-DMX Pro (~150) and Chamsys MagicQ software or some other free software is the most affordable routes to go.

I was wondering how exactly the lights would now run. My partner was telling me that all the lights would color sync for the most part and that we would run certain programs with the lights and they would all follow that program. Is the above assumption correct? I am left wondering what do we do once the music changes speeds. Do I have to tell the program to run a new set of patterns etc to slow or speed them up? I guess since I have not seen DMX controlling before I am not 100% what to expect. Sound active mode it was plug and play.

Does anyone have any advice and or additional posts they can share on the subject?

thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I run a small DJ entertainment company and recently we have upgraded our lights offering. We currently have 3 American DJ DMX Mystic LEDS and 1 American DJ Hyper Gem. We normally setup up our lights to sound active mode. We just got a laptop and would now like to control the lights via software using the DMX function. Based on what I am finding on the web and this website, the Enttec USB-DMX Pro (~150) and Chamsys MagicQ software or some other free software is the most affordable routes to go.

I was wondering how exactly the lights would now run. My partner was telling me that all the lights would color sync for the most part and that we would run certain programs with the lights and they would all follow that program. Is the above assumption correct? I am left wondering what do we do once the music changes speeds. Do I have to tell the program to run a new set of patterns etc to slow or speed them up? I guess since I have not seen DMX controlling before I am not 100% what to expect. Sound active mode it was plug and play.

Does anyone have any advice and or additional posts they can share on the subject?

thanks in advance!

Welcome to CB.

To get the most out of your software and fixtures, you'll need to address each fixture individually. If you want like fixtures to do the same thing, you can program all of them at the same time.

If you can access the internal programming of the Mystics via DMX you can have them operate together.

By addressing the fixtures individually, you can have each Mystic doing something different at the same time.

Switching to DMX will certainly complicate the build process for you each day, but it gives you more control as well. Rather than have the lights do what they want, you get to tell them what to do. I don't know much about MagicQ, but most lighting programs have a package of effects built in. You can use these to tell your lights what to do, and edit parameters like rate and intensity to get new looks. You will need to trigger all of these things manually, rather than have the lights react to sound.

With MagicQ, and most DMX control systems, you set various cues with effects in them. I'm not sure whether MagicQ has pregenerated effects, (looking at it right now I can't find them, but that doesn't really mean anything). Basically, if you write all the cues for each song you simply need to click a button and it will change to your next effect. You can have multiple of those open at a time, so if you wanted to, you could run several lists at a time (IE one controls house lights, one controls individual songs, one has general feels) MagicQ is a fairly tough program to learn, so with such a simple setup, you may want to start by using something more simple.

Thanks for all the input so far!

I am hoping I don't have to also purchase software. I know there are a bunch of software packages out there for free, I just hope they are easy to learn to. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from MaqicQ?

Interesting, from the sounds of it DMX lighting allows more control but at the same time, Its going to demand constant attention as well. Reason I am starting to think that is, parties always have variations in songs and speed. Sometimes you are playing party jumpers fast and then slow jams.

Thanks for all the input so far!

I am hoping I don't have to also purchase software. I know there are a bunch of software packages out there for free, I just hope they are easy to learn to. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from MaqicQ?

Interesting, from the sounds of it DMX lighting allows more control but at the same time, Its going to demand constant attention as well. Reason I am starting to think that is, parties always have variations in songs and speed. Sometimes you are playing party jumpers fast and then slow jams.

This is the reason most DJ's just stick with sound activated control. We are not really the people to ask for this type of question. MagicQ will work, but its going to require a dedicated operator to do right. Its not a set it and forget it type of thing. There are controllers out there that will do what you want and still have sound activation, however, they are way out of the scope of what we know around here. I would suggest giving a look at a more DJ focused forum and ask there.

I can't believe that I am suggesting this, but for your application I would tend to recommend more of a dj console. I have a Chauvet dmx-40a, and I think that something similar to this might be more of what you are looking for. It is nowhere near as full-featured as magicq, but I think it might be easier in your case where all of the intricacies of theatrical/concert lighting are not required.

I can't believe that I am suggesting this, but for your application I would tend to recommend more of a dj console. ...
No reason for incredulity. It comes down to the right tool for the job. Most/all DJs don't have the time/money/resources to dedicate a lighting operator and program every song in the repertoire. Nor is exact repeatability required, as it would be for a theatrical presentation.

cloves, as mentioned above, you might be better asking your question at DJchat.com or similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back