URGENT Carvin C3248 Trouble - help! The show is TONIGHT! <:'0(

yunebug

Hi everyone.

Yesterday, our mixing board, Carvin C3248, stopped functioning and started to pulse. All the lights on the board were flashing with the thump thump sounds coming from the speakers. Of course I rushed to the booth as quickly as I could to shut it off. I did not want to touch it any further and it was outside of Carvin's customer service hours.

This morning, I turned on the mixing board after unplugging all cables. Instead of pulsing, now the lights (SIG lights) are simply on - no more flashing.

I got off the phone with Carvin's repair tech and he seems to think it's a power supply problem. He wasn't able to help me locate a service shop near me (Anaheim, CA) so I'm reaching out here to find a repair shop.

WE HAVE A SHOW TONIGHT AT 7PM. I need to find a repair shop as close to where I am as possible (91/Brookhurst) in hopes of having the board ready for tonight's show. I'm also a teacher and am unable to leave the campus until afternoon -- are there any vendors that travel?

Sigh.

It is all in the timing, as David Ives said. Gahhh

Please help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone from you area will reply soon. Wish I could help. My suggestion for now would be to start calling around to rental companies and seeing if you can get a replacement for the weekend. Or possibly other schools near by. The last school I worked for had 3 or 4 boards sitting around at any given time. Best of Luck to you.

Thank you for the reply. I was able to procure a mobile unit from our ASB that has 5 channels available, so the show will go on (whew). Unfortunately, however, this throws a rather large wrench in our plans for the evening. I'm looking at Orange County Speaker. Does anyone have experience with this company? Yelp reviews look good so far...

I know it's not like it's right down the road but Carvin proudly claims that your console is manufactured in San Diego and there are also Carvin stores in Santa Ana and Hollywood. All three of those locations supposedly have walk-in service Mon-Fri, 10-4.

I see the Santa Ana store. :0o The repair tech told me there are no dealers. Perhaps I used the wrong word? He just told me to look for a shop...

I'll contact Carvin Santa Ana when they open at 10am. Thank you for that bit of information, museav!

The power supply should be a fairly easy repair. Any competent electronics repair technician can solder in a few new capacitors. The parts needed will be very common.

PRG LA has a few EE's on staff, pay their bench fee for a few hours and I'm sure they will set you right, or rent a replacement.

Just got off the phone with Carvin Santa Ana. Apparently they send their units out to San Diego to be repaired. x(

Thank you, FMEng. That puts my mind more at ease. I'm just having a difficult time finding a local shop that can fix it today, right now. Gahhh <:0)

Calling PRG now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back