Used Technobeam vs. new Chauvet Q-spot 260

lightingguy1

So here's an interesting one....

I am trying to decide between two new Chauvet Q-spot 260s and two Used HES Technobeams. I'm planning on using them in small theatres and/or for small little evening rock shows held at the local lake(Small rig - Two Trees of LEDs either side behind the performing bands and a FOH tree w/ S4 Jrs).

What do the you think?
Thnx!
-Lightingguy1

So here's an interesting one....

I am trying to decide between two new Chauvet Q-spot 260s and two Used HES Technobeams. I'm planning on using them in small theatres and/or for small little evening rock shows held at the local lake(Small rig - Two Trees of LEDs either side behind the performing bands and a FOH tree w/ S4 Jrs).

What do the you think?
Thnx!
-Lightingguy1

I own 8 of the Chauvet Q-spot 260 LED's and love them. Nice and bright, tons of gobos, focus, prizim, lots of bells for a good price tag. I don't think you'll be disapointed.

Ken Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

Hard to compare a 400W MSR scanner with a 50W LED moving head. I love the Technobeam and have never seen the other.

Hard to compare a 400W MSR scanner with a 50W LED moving head. I love the Technobeam and have never seen the other.
Same boat, have never seen the moving head. It probably does more but I would quesion it's ability to cut. Maybe Ken can address that.

Where are you getting that the Technobeam is a 400W MSR? I test them fairly often, many vintages of them, too - never seen an MSR 400 version, always MSD 250/2.

Memory fails after a show + load-out.

I cannot comment on the merits of either for your purpose, but did you say you were doing this at a lake? Are you outside? Or do you have to transport your equipment outside? If yes, I would go with the Technobeam just based on the fact that it will be much better quality and able to withstand more abuse.

-Tim

So the positives views I have on the Technobeam are,

1. I will be able to order parts from Strong If I have Issues.
2. It has a Discharge Lamp, so It will be somewhat brighter then a Q-spot
3. Its a moving Mirror, so The Overall projection will move faster

The Bad views,

1. Discharge lamps are relatively expensive
2. The ones I am looking at are used, and on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being new and 1 being non functional, the seller rated his at a 5.
3. I run a higher risk by purchasing older equipment - Less show dependable.

What do you all think??
-Lightingguy1

The Chauvet Intimidator™ Spot 250 might be more along the same output. It's hard to compare reliability. It's like a 6 year old BMW as compared to a new KIA. Chauvet is known for cheap movers for DJ use, however, I must admit I own several and have now for 3 years. So far, so good. Lately, they have been making a move in the pro direction, but too little water under the bridge to know how that is working out. Can be hard to get tech assistance on China products, but we have at least on Chauvet dealer here on the forum, so that may help.

Thanks for all the responses, but nobody has awnsered my Question yet:

Which one would you pick and why?

I think, as evident in this thread, "it depends on who you ask". ;)

Me personally, I would be torn too. I love the HES lights, but even though parts may be available through Strong, they will be expensive. These are older moving lights that are apparently only a 5 out of 10 and who knows how or where they were used before going up for sale. They will be expensive to maintain, and in general a pretty hefty risk. If these were used conventional fixtures, I'd say go for it, but due to the mechanical nature of moving lights, I'd be weary. If you think the Chauvets will do what you need them to do, go for them. I'd try to get a demo fixture first if you are unsure.

Keep in mind, the Technobeams are about 60 pounds each! To put them on trees may be a deal breaker right there. Of course, the 260's may be half the weight, but any movers on trees is a bit of a problem. If it wasn't for the big difference in light output, I would go with the Chauvets. Still, I would expect a big difference in output. Consider something else in the 250w discharge lamp range first.

Chauvet claims that the 60 watt LED is as bright as a MSD-250 discharge lamp. I've have my Q-spot 260's on shows where the gear house supplying the sound was impressed with the output and said it was close to what their MAC 250's looked like.

proxy.php

This is from an ABBA tribute concert I did last month. The audience walls are being washed from the opposite wall, so it is a throw of about 70 - 80 feet. You are looking at only 2 per wall in these photos with the prizim on the units active.

proxy.php

ugg, those photos ae not showing up. It must be because they are from a facebook account. Either sign into facebook and look up "Duluth Event Lighting" or go directly to my webpage http://www.dulutheventlighting.com and I put two photos of the Q-spot 260's on the orchestra page.

Ken Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back