Automated Fixtures Using 2 Movers effectivly

agbobeck

Hi All.

Last year my (former) Technical Director Purchased 2 VL2500 CMY Spots for use in our theater. Unfortunately only two were bought since that was all we could afford. I would like to utilize them in our upcoming production, but I have yet to figure out the best way to do that. Should I have them as fronts off of the catwalk? Tops off of a baton? Any ideas would be great. I need to finalize my plot very soon.

Thank You,

Aaron G. Bobeck
Lighting Designer- B-CC High School

You won't get a full stage wash out of two instruments, but you can do a lot of work in highlighting moments throughout a show by using them for specials -- wherever, whenever, however (color, pattern, iris, zoom, strobe).

Depends on the show, venue, and how you'd see yourself using them, but given only two, I'd tend to put them downstage on opposing sides of 1st electric, just inside of the stage area where the legs are trimmed to. This means you can cover just about any place on stage with one or both instruments.

You won't get a full stage wash out of two instruments, but you can do a lot of work in highlighting moments throughout a show by using them for specials -- wherever, whenever, however (color, pattern, iris, zoom, strobe).

Depends on the show, venue, and how you'd see yourself using them, but given only two, I'd tend to put them downstage on opposing sides of 1st electric, just inside of the stage area where the legs are trimmed to. This means you can cover just about any place on stage with one or both instruments.

I would go more towards the 1/4 lines, or a little center of those. Basically give 1/2 the stage for each fixture to help cover, with both being able to meet at center.

Thanks everyone for a quick reply! these are great ideas! i will share them with my new TD and Design advisor and try to figure it out! First electric sounds like a great place for them. Especially since we are using only the front half of the stage.

Thanks everyone for a quick reply! these are great ideas! i will share them with my new TD and Design advisor and try to figure it out! First electric sounds like a great place for them. Especially since we are using only the front half of the stage.
I also may try to rent some more for this show if the price is right and we can use them to our advantage.

Now that I think of it, our 1st electric doesn't fly, so getting the unit up with the genie lift will be a pain in the butt.

Awkward, but doable. If you're really concerned, throw a rope over the pipe and have someone on the ground do the heavy lifting and hoist it up, and then from the lift you can maneuver it into position and lock it to the pipe. Most important thing is that as soon as you can reasonably attach a safety cable -- get that sucker attached. Then if you find yourself needing to reposition or pause briefly to stretch a cramped arm out, you can let the safety cable take the weight of the light and try again when you're ready.

Another option is backlight specials, particularly with a bit of haze in the air. Hang them on an upstage electric and use them as you would front specials but with more saturated colours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back