Automated Fixtures Using Technobeam "Smart Lights" with a Strand 520i Lighting Control Board

norbe

Okay, here's a challenge for the awesome users of CB! I have a Strand 520i Lighting Console running Strand OS 2.8.6 and 2 Technobeam "Smart Lights". Now, this is my high school, so seniors leave and I get to figure some things out for myself. The console already has iris, color, ect programmed into the patch on the board. How do I use my Technobeams? If you don't have enough info, just let me know.

There's 2 ways to answer your question:

1. Technically, all desks and all lightss have limitations as to what you can do with them. Back up all show data on your desk, then experiment with the lights as much as you can.

2. Aesthetically, depends on the show, the stage, etc. As with any lighting tool, it's important not to over-use it so plan carefully.

I don't know if the built in fixture library has a profile for the technobeam, but you can look. With the console on, hit [MORE] {NOTES DISP} {LOAD FILE} {FIXT LIB}. This will open the fixture library. You can scroll through with the trackball and it will list the fixtures that have profiles already in the console. If the technobeam is there, take note of it's number (located in brackets []) If it is not there, you can either write your own profile or just patch each attribute by hand. Somewhere on CB I have posted something about writing fixture profiles, a search would turn it up.

In either case, you would need to know the DMX profile of the fixture, so if you don't have the manuals kicking around, grab them online. You will need to set a starting address for the fixtures. Depending on how your system is set up you may have to pick an address that is higher than your highest dimmer, or, if you have or can run a second universe of DMX that might be useful. With more information about how your system is set up we could probably tell you which of these options would be easier.

If the profile for the fixture is already in the fixture library or if you wrote your own profile then all you have to do is go to the patch screen and type the address you set on the fixture at the channel you want followed by the {@FIXT} softkey and the fixture number that you saw in the library. So, for example it might be: 200[@]21{@FIXT}32[*]. This would patch the entire fixture in one shot. If you choose to patch it by hand you would have to patch each attribute to the appropriate attribute channel. So you would patch the pan to XYZ.3 and tilt to XYZ.4. This isn't terribly difficult, just time consuming. The attribute channel numbers can be found in the fixture library.

I am sure that my explanation probably left you with more questions than answers, so don't hesitate to ask them.

Read/Walk through everything on this page: Bobby Harrell Lighting Design

It will get you on your way with moving lights on that console.
Wow I wish I saw this 3 weeks ago. An LD and I were bashing our collective heads against the table trying to learn that board in 2 days with no help but the poorly written instruction manual. Both of us know ETC boards very well, so this was totally foreign to us. I texted everyone I knew and most people told me they despised the board and didn't know how to use it. My favorite response was using it as sledge hammer target practice.

Good luck with that thing.

Wow I wish I saw this 3 weeks ago. An LD and I were bashing our collective heads against the table trying to learn that board in 2 days with no help but the poorly written instruction manual. Both of us know ETC boards very well, so this was totally foreign to us. I texted everyone I knew and most people told me they despised the board and didn't know how to use it. My favorite response was using it as sledge hammer target practice.

Good luck with that thing.

Like anything, people that don't know how to use a particular console are not going to like it. The 500 series has many automated luminaire capabilities and is a fine board if you know how to use it. I hope the tutorials help and remember, that you can always call Strand tech support at 8004STRAND rather than talk to lots of people that don't know how to use it.

I run a 521 everyday and tbh its not as bad as most people say... that said it is a dated board... and many movers are not in its catalog. Although you would be surprised how much etc express language it takes as its own ie... recording subs,groups etc. At the end of the day its not that horrible of a board

I run a 521 everyday and tbh its not as bad as most people say... that said it is a dated board... and many movers are not in its catalog. Although you would be surprised how much etc express language it takes as its own ie... recording subs,groups etc. At the end of the day its not that horrible of a board

It is not the Strand console using the ETC language, but the ETC using the Strand syntax. Many consoles were based on the syntax of the original LightPalette desks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back