Vari-Lite VL 1100 ERS question

mbepting

I am in the process of quoting some VL 1100 ERs and a question was asked that I cannot answer.

Is the VL ERS the arc or on board dimming?

What is the difference? Which is better/worse?

There are three versions of the VL 1100. Arc, Tungsten, Tungsten/dimmer. In my venue, I preferred the tungsten version as it matched the color temp of my rig. I have plenty of dimmers so there was no need for the on board dimming version $$.
There is the possibility that the arc version may dim faster than the tungsten models since it has a mechanical dimmer. There is a gel frame holder on the snoot of the fixture that can hold color correction to bring the arc source down to match what you want. Arc unit has s separate outboard ballast. The on board dimmer is built in.
http://www.vari-lite.com/vl-products/series1100/vl1100-arc-ers/

Is the VL ERS the arc or on board dimming?
Yes. And also could be "with external dimmer."

Three models from which to choose:
VL1100 Arc ERS
VL1100 Tungsten ERS
VL1100 Tungsten ERS w/Dimmer

Actually; six (in a given voltage), as each of the three above can have Iris or Shutters but not both. I'm guessing (with no real basis other than that's what I've always used) is that the most popular variant is VL1100 AS (Arc and Shutters).

On board dimming vs. external is simply a question of DO you already have available dimmers existing?
Arc vs. Tungsten is a question of intensity, color temperature, lamp-life, etc.?

-----
Another note since you'e quoting (assuming new for purchase as opposed to rental) fixtures: VL1100s come with NO GOBOs, so be sure to budget for that, glass patterns only! There is no "factory stock load," although many have used the PRG standard load as the default.
... which in order is Pinwheel, Spiral Stones, Block Breakup, Dust Breakup, and Alpha Rays. Can't speak for other rental houses, but I believe the PRG shops send out the VL1000's ... unless otherwise spec'ed.

Last edited:
Are you getting these for theatre use? I am assuming you want a quitter fixture with minimal noise?

They are pretty good for that, I know there are a ton of them installed at the Adrienne Arsht Center, New World Symphony and Disney Concert Hall. All spaces built for symphony so ambient noise from movers needs to be minimal.

Are you getting these for theatre use? I am assuming you want a quitter fixture with minimal noise?

They are pretty good for that, I know there are a ton of them installed at the Adrienne Arsht Center, New World Symphony and Disney Concert Hall. All spaces built for symphony so ambient noise from movers needs to be minimal.

This is a 1556 seat venue, brand new not yet open. There will be a lot of symphony performances as well as rock, dance, blah blah blah. So would the arc be quieter?

The on board dimmer lights are fairly quiet fixtures with one exception. movement. As for arc or tungsten that really depends on what you are looking for in color temp. Since this is a new build and it is for symphony what are your overhead washes going to be? You will be best off getting a demo of both types and seeing how they look with your wash fixtures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back