Vectorworks 2009

I was wondering if anyone has a copy of Vectorworks 2009. If so, what do you think of it? How does your experience using it differ from the previous versions? What new features about it are beneficial to your specific uses? and what are not as beneficial as you hoped?

Yes, I know I can go to the Vectorworks website and watch all the pretty videos, but I prefer to hear personal experiences and anecdotes. I am looking for all uses of Vectorworks here. Whether you are using it for lightplots, 3D drafting, 2D drafting, groundplans, theatre, architecture, entertainment, or any other possible use for Vectorworks, please share your thoughts on this, Vectorworks 2009.

Much Thanks,

I really like what I'm seeing in the new version. I'll have to admit, though, that I've been using it long enough that it has gotten easy to forget what is new. I can say that things like pre-selection highlighting and greatly-improved snapping have made day-to-day drawing quicker.

Is rendering any easier with 2009? They really killed rendering when they revamped to 2008. It's annoying turning the light on in the Visualization tab and then having to right click and edit every light of a system individually to set the brightness. It was much easier in 12.5 when everything was in Object Info.

A simple Find and Modify could select an entire system (provided you stay consistant with labels) and give you the ability to turn on the entire system and adjust it's intensity in a few short and sweet keystrokes.

I've also grown to hate the autosnapping of the position labels in 2008 and wish you had the ability to turn that on or off. It's nice that it automatically updates the position if you place it on a new pipe (which also makes mirrored drafting a heck of a lot easier). No more going in and editing position labels on the instruments! However, if I build a groundrow that isn't on a pipe, it automatically assumes it should be on the nearest actual position on the plot. If I update, and refresh my instruments later on, it automatically re-assigns it to that nearest position. This required me to make small little "lighting positions" that I can place these random instruments onto so they stop associating themselves to something else.

And thus ends my only 2008 gripes. I can't wait to try out '09 to see if they fixed any of these issues.

In terms of process, I don't know that rendering is any easier or harder in 09 than in 08. I'm not sure what you're seeing in terms of a departure from the OIP. I haven't really adopted the Vis. palette, yet and still do all of my adjustments of light sources through the OIP. So...no change there.

To your second point, I use a series of scripts developed by a user in Holland to keep track of systems of light sources. They do nothing more than to track sets of selected items, but have been extremely helpful. See http://www.jonker-wu.nl/ or Orange Dust | Home .

As to your third point, though I own a SpotLight license, I don't use the Instrument or Position tools, so no opinion or gripes there...

VW2009 is unbelievable. There are some really nice improvements from 2008 with regards to spotlight and paperwork. With the release of LW5 coming in January, paper transition from VW to LW will be even easier with cross communication between the two.

While the price of VW is pricey, it is worth the upgrade to those who use it on a regular basis. For students, ask your professors about getting a "demo/student" edition of VW2009 from Nemetschek. It is free for educators and students with a valid student ID. It is a full working copy and good for one year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back