Vectorworks question

knoodler

Not really lighting/electrics related but I didnt know where to put this thread.

I am drafting a boat shaped set and the porthole molding is baffleing me - I cant make a donut in vectowroks. The diameter of the porthole is 2'6 and the trim is 3" wide and 1-1/2" thick.

Anyone know how to make an extruded circle with a hole in the middle

Thanks

I'd use "Subtract Solids" for that.

Here's a video tutorial for it:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

make two circles, and then either select both and extrude together (it seems to clip automatically) or use model->subtract solids after selecting both extrusions.

I like to "extrude along path". Draw what a "section" of your donut would look like, if you cut a thin slice of your doughnut. Is it flat like a washer, or round like a doughnut - or whatever you want that cross section to look like. Then, draw a circle the size you would like your doughnut to be. Select both shapes and click Model -> Extrude Along Path. Make sure the large circle (diameter of your final doughnut) is selected as the "Path" along which you will extrude - it will be red when selected. Leave the options as is (or experiment with them) and click "okay." Voila. Draw a circle as the extrude shape, and you'll get an inner tube shape.

Thanks for your help everyone -

I'm drafting a set that takes place on a boat so there are lots of curved walls with portholes in them -

New question

I drew a wall with one curved side. Extruded it and it is hollow - I cant find a way to make a wall with a curved side a solid object
- any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back