Vertical-to-base ratio?

MarshallPope

I am used to being able to drill into the stage, so I am a bit apprehensive building freestanding scenery. On top of that, our box of old stage brace irons has mysteriously disappeared, so I am on my own. My design for this upcoming show includes several non-operable doors. These are all antique doors from either 1916 or 1941, so I am trying to minimize damage to them. My plan is to nail 1x4s to the bottom on each side. What is a good safe length for these boards? I'm thinking maybe 3', with 1'6 sticking out on each side of the door. Would you be concerned with that little support? They are average-sized doors, and fairly lightweight.

Thanks! I'm starting the build tomorrow and just wanted to double-check this.

1'6 on each side should be fine, if fact it might even be a bit long. However, you are going to want to run another board at a 45 going up to add a bit of stability otherwise your braces will probably rip off. Always build in triangles if you can, everyone loves a good triangle.

True. Thanks for reminding me. When I originally planned the pieces I included triangles, but that had since slipped my mind.

True. Thanks for reminding me. When I originally planned the pieces I included triangles, but that had since slipped my mind.

I piece of 3/4 ply will also work. With that you can cut a nice looking curve and dress it up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back