Vision.Net

Call911

Is anyone here a Strand Vision.Net expert? I have a few questions I can't seem to find in the manual.

I'll start with the first question and see if I get any responses:

1. Is there anyway to "Save" our current setup?
We are no longer working with the contractor that installed it, and we have no files at all. Can I plug a laptop into the system with the Vision.Net software and "Recall" the current setup somehow? I'd hate to plug a laptop in and it instantly erases the setup.

Thanks!! I have a million more questions, but that's the most important one! :)

To get the configuration from a vision net system, you need a computer running vision.net designer and a vision net rs232 port. The communication is through the serial port of the computer, but a usb to serial adapter will work fine.

1. Download the appropriate vision net designer and install it.
2. Go to tools>setup and choose your comm port.
3. Go to file and make sure "work offline" is not checked.
4. On the bottom of the screen, you will see a status bar. That will display network data.
5. With the computer attached to the vision net network, go to a station and press a button.
The status bar will now display a command string.
This displays the id number of the station you pressed the button on. (along with other data you can ignore).
6. Note that id number and the type of station it is (number of buttons, faders).
7. Do this for all your stations.
8. Then in designer create a new station that is the same type with the same id number.

DON’T EVER HIT “UPLOAD & OK” THAT WILL ERASE YOUR STATION.

At the bottom of that screen, there is a “get configuration from station” button. Hit that and it will get the information from the station and put it in designer.
9. Do this for all your stations.
10. Next, if you need your dimmer racks were also configured with designer, you have to find the id number on the rack by going through the rack processor menu system. Let me know what rack you have and I will tell you how.
11. Then create an output device in designer with the same id number and number of dimmers, then choose “synchronize> get dimmer configuration from output device”
12. Do this for all your racks.

13. Save your designer file and you are done.

p.m., call or email if there are any questions.

Hi Patrick,

I know this thread is 6 years old, but I'm in the same boat. My installer is gone, and there are no config files saved. BUT I do have the original install laptop, with the original 4.5 software used to created the system. I also have the original usb-to-serial dongle (FTDI UC232R-10) used to connect to the system, which I saw working when the installer was creating the system a few years back.

However, I'm having trouble connecting to the RS232 vision.net port. I may not be using the correct settings. its currently configured for 19200 8-N-1, which seems to be what the manual indicates, but I'm not getting anything to light up or connect (that I can tell)

I could dink around with the other port settings until the end of time, but I'm hoping you can steer me in the right direction.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ryan

Welcome Ryan,
@phenry doesn't visit here very often, so if he doesn't respond, I'd email him or call 1-800-4STRAND.

Sorry, I am still with Strand, but have not been in tech support for a few years so I don’t come here to post unless summoned. (So I’ll have to check my settings as to why I didn’t see the notification.) Anyway, I will reply to your email and help you out. For your particular issue, I think I’ll get you in contact with Maggie. She is a Vision.Net expert and surpassed my expert level of knowledge of it years ago. For everyone else in general, 1-800-4strand, or check our website for contacts (or just contact me and I'll get you to the best person, I really don't mind helping).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back