war of the wireless

Just to clarify, again, they are NOT the same product. They are products which, if set to a certain mode of operation, are compatible (with the exception of call signals). They are not in any way, shape, or form the same product, however, and in balanced mode, a Telex AudioCom system will NOT be ClearCom compatible at all.
As for HME, various HME products have been pretty standard on Broadway and tours for quite some time. The analog systems are great, and the new DX200 series has been getting pretty good reviews. We've got a full set at the shop, and so far everybody who's rented it has been happy. There's a slight bit of latency, and some other quirks, that take getting used to, but for com they're serviceable.
The other new kid on the digital block is ClearCom's CellCom system, but because of coverage issues, ClearCom won't sell it to you unless they do a site survey to ensure adequate coverage, and as such won't sell it for anything other than a permanent install. (This may change, but this was the case as it stood when I spoke with them at LDI back in October.)
--A

Hey Andy--the HME digital PRO 850 wireless intercom is very slick..I have a 4pack here wireless set up here and don't know what I ever did without it... VERY nice and very configurable and two channel as well..... Not sure if you checked it out yet but its a great system..

-w

We've been looking into going wireless for some time now, and I can offer the following observations:
Telex makes ClearCom's analog wireless system, so one of the Telex systems is virtually identical. Other Telex options are different, and the wired stuff is not the same, and varies in compatibility as discussed elsewhere. Oddly, Telex is the manufacturer for a number of Clearcom's products, even though they compete on many of these and other lines.
I would not recommend Eartec. Our local supplier is one of the top audio people in the region, and is a dealer and repair technician for most of the companies throughout the nation/world... and he won't allow his very large sales department to sell Eartec because he considers them crap. He strongly advised me not to bother with even looking into Eartec gear.
HME is top notch stuff. The Pro850 system is pretty much the same as ClearCom or Telex's 4-person wireless package, and priced comparably as well. The DX 200 and 100 systems are MUCH cheaper than anything similar, have lighter-weight beltpacks, and work with any headsets including their own very nicely designed line. Also, unlike any of the analog systems, they can have up to 15 wireless beltpacks on a single base station; they just can't all be latched on to speaking at once. We did a test on the DX200 as well as the Clearcom WBS system at our theatre, and while we're still undecided because the specifications don't meet all our needs, (we want two wireless channels; these have one) we did like the DX200 an awful lot.
More info on HME is at their website:
http://www.hme.com/proAudio.cfm
One good option for community-theatre level stuff, even cheaper than going the HME route, is the half-duplex stuff put out by Production Intercom (some info available at www.beltpack.com) which uses a different system to provide for a large number of users with only one base station and is much cheaper - the main limitation being that when a wireless user is pressing talk, they can't hear anyone else. As I understand it from conversation with their rep at LDI, everyone can all hear multiple people talking, but anyone talking can't hear others at the same time. Halfway between walkie-talkie status and full duplex communication. Plus the system it uses is seriously robust and it is licensed (ten years for only $300) through the FCC to prevent any worries about competing devices. I can't comment on any flaws or concerns as I haven't seen it in action myself, nor have the experts I know had a chance to look at it yet.
Finally, the Cellcom stuff is pricey, but it looks like we might be going that route. It has some pretty amazing features, including 10 users on multiple channels per base station,which very much meets our needs here. I'm trying now to find out what the price breakdown would be on all that, as depending on available funds, we'll either be going with Cellcom or we'll just get the HME DX200 system, hoping to add a second channel of wireless at a future time.

Blackfarer, welcome to ControlBooth!

I had never heard of the PI's wireless intercom equipment before - but after reading their (lengthy) information on it, I personally think this would be about as good as you can get for anyone who does not need full duplex communication. For those who don't understand how it works, essentially the base station continuously transmits the traffic on the wired comm system out to the wireless users, and when a wireless user transmits, their audio is folded in as well so that the other wired and wireless users can hear them. The system operates in the industrial/commerical radio pool (450-470 MHz) and does need a license, but once you have one you have a license for the two frequencies you are using you are protected from interference by the FCC.

The range can also be very good on this system. From personal experience, I would say that depending on the handheld's being used and antenna placement you could potentially have miles of coverage - good for the person who does the McDonalds run! There would definitely be very few dropouts in the building itself.

As far as wireless mic interference goes, since this in the IG radio band, unless your mic receivers have extremely poor filtering and operate at 470 MHz, you should not see any problems.

Currently I'm looking at a company called HME. They provide wireless systems that are more affordable to smaller theatres. As I understand it, they started by making wireless headsets for fastfood restaurants, but are looking to break into the performance market. They do not require licensing...so are no hassle that way. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything...good/bad about them. The benifit by purchasing this would be a startup kit being around $5000rather than $6-8,000.

We have been using the HME 800 series for many years with great performance and reliability. Many of the Broadway tours we book have the same system and all have all reported good performance. I just sent one of the packs to HME for repair of case damage and circuit board damage (it was dropped ...way to many times). They offer a flat rate repair, and although it was not inexpensive the box that came back looks and performs exactly as new. They turned it around 24 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back