Welding helmet advice.

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
Looking to get my own welding helmet. I'm leaning towards a Miller Classic auto dark, or the next one up. Any other brands to consider besides Miller?

If you do a lot of welding be prepared to replace that auto tint glass yearly it stops responding quickly and could end up damaging your eyes as if it weren't even there

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I never really liked the auto dark lenses unless you are going to spend 400 bucks or more. The under a hundred bucks ones tend to react too slow and have too small of a viewing window.

Just get a standard hood and be done with it.

I've got a Lincoln Electric Auto-Dark hood, it works great, has a large viewing window and is comfortable. Plus its only about $120. But, as stated above, it's not really for everyday use. There's a reason why most professional fabricators and pipeline welders all have standard hoods.

tweco weldskill. Its an auto darkener for $100. Haven't needed to replace anything in the 3 years I've had it except for the plastic lens protector, they get dirty pretty quick. I learned on the standard helmets and have no idea why people don't like the automatics. Never had an issue with reaction speeds, maybe I'm not as sensitive to the light, and it speeds up my welding because I can go from one bead to the next without pausing to raise the mask to inspect the weld or set up for the next one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back