What happened to tie line?

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
Last week I bought a new spool of tie line from Barbizon, and it is CORELESS. That's right, no inner strands or line, just the exterior cotton braid. What gives?

Yeah, I need to. Current show is open so I finally have the time.

I've heard of splices within a normal roll of gaff tape, but not two different adhesives in the same roll. Wow.

Prior to our formal agreement offering Polyken 510 Premium Gaffer Tape to the industry, I toured the Polyken plant in Franklin KY. The raw rubber to finished product was a pretty interesting series of procedures, and equally impressive machines and operators. As a machine was switched over to another adhesive for a different product, running out the old and introducing the new, the 'in between' stuff was discarded as scrap. Perhaps the product you had, Footer, was someone's 'in between' product intended for the trash can. (?)

This thread kind of gives me an idea for a new product. The GaffDecoy. It would be a spandex slipcover to store your roll of gaff tape in -- the beauty is that the outside is finished to look just like a standard roll of duct tape. Also available would be Glow Tape covers that look like regular masking tape.

After all, the best place to hide something is right in plain sight.

I don't remember where we get our tie line, but the same thing, it's super soft no core. I just thought it was a mix-up of product, but maybe it was a manufacturing error?
I still have most of a case of it. Maybe i'll look into it if I ever get the time.

Talked to my Barbizon. They claim that they've been selling that tie line for at least two years now. I couldn't get the info out of them on where to get the "good" tie line.

Oh, and apparently it DOES have a core. Its a single black thread. :wall:

This new tie line sucks, it has no strength at all.

I couldn't get the info out of them on where to get the "good" tie line.

The Clearwing Productions office in Milwaukee sells the "good" stuff last I bought tie line. Give 'em a call if you can't find it more local to you. Pretty sure they call it "trick line" though. Last time I bought, there was a minor fiasco because I asked for tie line but they couldn't find in their sales software that they actually sold tie line. Took 10 minutes to figure out it was in the system under "trick line" instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back