What is it? #033 : Ground Clamp

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
What is this and how might it be used? Is it legal/to code? Does it come in any other colors or sizes?

WII_0033.jpg

Here's a hint: Look at the color of the cable end.

It is definitely some type of grounding clamp. Not sure exactly what it would be used for though, perhaps for grounding a temporary 3-phase circuit, say from a generator?

This certainly looks like one of the ol' "ground to the water pipe" type situations.

As for other colors? I could imagine that they would exist, probably for attaching directly to a bus bar. Not sure if that is the right kind of clamp for that job, however.

It is a water pipe ground, many times used to seperate the grounds between lighting and sound. You clamp to the pipe and then cam onto it. The power in my arena is already fed from seperate sources so it wasn't needed but I had a guy that used to come in all the time that insisted on using it.

Please tell us the details of the writing on the brass clamp. I cannot zoom in far enough to read it.

ST

OK, never mind. The brass clamp is a Tweco 358-9210-1150 Roto Work 0.5 in Cap Screw Grounding Clamp. It is connected to a male camlok--presumably an E1016 family, but we can't see the contact to know for sure. It is a non- "Lektra-Link" boot that has been vulcanized to the cable in a vulcanizing press.

This could be used as a bonding connection to bond the portable system ground to building steel. However, the Tweco clamp is a welding clamp only, and not Listed as a grounding connector, so the device could never be code compliant.

ST

This could be used as a bonding connection to bond the portable system ground to building steel. However, the Tweco clamp is a welding clamp only, and not Listed as a grounding connector, so the device could never be code compliant.

ST

What would be the proper clamp to use in such a situation?

But the shiny brass one by Tweco is much prettier.:)

How does the NEC feel about using a water pipe as a ground (presumably as the squeaks think it introduces less noise into their system)?

Considering it is the standard in many homes I would imagine they have no problem.

But the shiny brass one by Tweco is much prettier.:)

How does the NEC feel about using a water pipe as a ground (presumably as the squeaks think it introduces less noise into their system)?

Hey, I take offense to that :evil:, Its more about knowing the whole system is on the same ground. Local code here doesn't allow them to use the water pipes as a ground. So every new home is now required to have its own grounding spike.

The water pipe is usually not the primary point in a grounding scheme.

Especially with the proliferation of PEX (crosslinked polyethylene) water systems it has become harder to find the required 10ft of underground pipe that a water pipe ground requires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back