What Lavs to get?

CSCTech

Hello,

We have recently been trying to figure out the problem we have been having with our Sennheiser wireless mics. They all use the standerd ones that come with the ew100 systems. We have eight G1s and two G3s, the G3s seem to be of better quality, being a lot newer most likely. I am not sure what model the lavs we are using with the G1s are as it isnt marked anywhere, but all I know is, they are not good. They distort at fairly low levels and we have ruled out everything for causing the distortion.

So basicly, what are the best 1/8'' screw base lavs out there? Not necesarily the best I guess, we are a high school with a somewhat limited budget, but we would like to start replacing the ones we have.

Thanks!

Hello,

We have recently been trying to figure out the problem we have been having with our Sennheiser wireless mics. They all use the standerd ones that come with the ew100 systems. We have eight G1s and two G3s, the G3s seem to be of better quality, being a lot newer most likely. I am not sure what model the lavs we are using with the G1s are as it isnt marked anywhere, but all I know is, they are not good. They distort at fairly low levels and we have ruled out everything for causing the distortion.

So basicly, what are the best 1/8'' screw base lavs out there? Not necesarily the best I guess, we are a high school with a somewhat limited budget, but we would like to start replacing the ones we have.

Thanks!

Just as an FYI, you can get practically any mic with any connector. It's just the standard 'sennheiser connector,' locking 1/8" TRS.

Countryman B3 or B6 is my recommendation.

We have no set budget, as we feed off multipul budgets. But I would say no more then 3-4 hundred per mic. Or say maybe $1000 for 4 would be nice.

The ones we have been getting were I think $100 per, which probably justifys there lack of quality. It is not too crucial that we replace all of them now, as they are really needed for the generally louder actors, as we don't have too much of a problem with feedback anymore, but theres just nothing we can do if the mic is distorting itself.

I'm pretty sure we have solved the problems weve been having, for years we have had horrible feedback, which is now clear as to why.

The elements distort so we lowered the transmitors output gains to -40, the lowest they can go, so that made us have to turn up channel gains causing feedback, on top of the distortion. Not a pretty picture :)

We never thought to actually take the elements into account, which is quite dumb of us. We only knew that the distortion was coming in from the transmitors distorted, we all we could think to do was drop the transmitors output gain. Which made for a pretty bad gain structure..
Our new DBX processor has helped a bit but until we get the elements swapped out nothing is going to solve it.

Hoping that when we do get new, better elements we will have solved our feeback issues :D

The elements distort so we lowered the transmitors output gains to -40, the lowest they can go, so that made us have to turn up channel gains causing feedback, on top of the distortion. Not a pretty picture

Having the gain in the mixer instead of the wireles did not cause the feedback - so long as nothing is clipping and the hiss/hum level is not too high, gain is gain.

Is the distortion gone? If so, it's not the mics that distorted.

We tried the Sennheiser MKE (not cheap) Lavs and they did not work well at all (omni fed back, directional sounded lousy). The $100 Microphone Madness omni headsets on the other hand work very well.

The $100 Microphone Madness omni headsets on the other hand work very well.

I second Mic Madness.. I have 5 of them currently that I use with a community theater group that is primarily middle - High school kids and they have held up very well, and sound good. And for the price when one does (as it will happen eventually) get damaged beyond repair doesn't make you cringe.

I will be ordering more for some new (to me) wireless units I picked up.

Mic madness. I do believe the E6 are clearer, but at $100/mic. If they get broke, thats slightly more then a replacement cable for countryman.
HOWEVER... countryman will replace a broken mic for like $135; even out of warantee.

I actually use the Pyle PMEMS10 for rehearsal and switch to the MM/countryman mics for the shows. Just takes a small, predictable gain adjustment on the packs and saves wear and tear on the good mics. You can get 5/$100. They distort a little quicker, and aren't as stealth, but work good for rehearsals. They come with a SHURE end, but I rewire them for my Electrovoice packs.

Lavs are great if you have to swap mics or have wardrobe issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back