What to do with extra color wash(?) fixutre?

LeadHead

Hey guys, we were checking out some storage areas around school the other day, and we found what I believe is a color wash fixture? Probably wrong on the name. Basically its a long strip that takes 16 bulbs, and it has 4 circuits in it - for four colors. The stage already has four of these fixtures.

The fixture has no bulbs in it, but it seems kind of silly to just let it sit there being unused. Any ideas on what we can do with it? We though about mounting in the center of the first electric for some "frontal" color lighting. Another suggested we weld up a frame and just put it on the stage. Another suggested we just fill it with normal bulbs and use it for additional non-color lighting. There isn't enough room on the 2nd electric to hang it with the other color fixtures, and the 3rd is filled with fresnels and scoops.

We have a ton of extra dimmer channels to use it with, but we just can't come to agreement on where to put it

You guys have any clue what we could use it for?

...Basically its a long strip that takes 16 bulbs, and it has 4 circuits in it - for four colors. The stage already has four of these fixtures. ...
The term you're looking for is striplight. Likely intended to go in the same place as the others, so it would be five across instead of four. Use either Hanging Irons or trunnions for mounting. A single unit is sometimes useful, say for lighting the little patch of sky visible through a window.

Thanks for the clarification on what its supposed to be called. We figured it was supposed to go with the other striplights, but there seems to be no place to put it on the 2nd electric, and as is the 4 strips are able to light up the entire width of the stage. Weird.

I do know the Auditorium was originally supposed to be able to hold 800-900 people, but do to budgeting issues when they built the auditorium back in 2000 they had to scale it down to about ~600 seats. So I suppose its possible that the stage was smaller then originally intended.

Also thanks for the info about the trunnions and hanging irons, certainly a lot better then our original plan of fabricating something!

The lighting was probably specified after the plans were finalized and for some odd reason they just gave you guys an extra. Maybe it was part of a 'package deal'. I worked at a school once who had an extra Strand Iris cyc light. I guess they ordered an extra because they were unsure of how many they would need and figured it was better to be safe than sorry. And extra cyc light they had, and only 14 circuits in the FOH lighting position.

Odd. I suppose we could phone up Colortran and ask them why it was ordered and what was supposed to be done with it. But don't really see myself doing that, since we can pretty much do anything we want with it now.

Colortran wouldn't know, but maybe the lighting contractor would. In any event, it's a moot point since you've been seemingly getting by just fine without it. Most theatres end up with something odd like this. Just have fun and be glad you have too many rather than not enough! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back