What to do with old ETA lighting board

nagates

I was hoping to get some advice on what to do with an old lighting board. One of the community theatres that I help out with has an old ETA Dual Scene Model 1226 lighting board, and some dimmer packs Model 1758 (I think that's right) to go with.

My initial thought was to pitch the board, as its probably really old and not up to DMX 512 standard, and the venue is currently using a Chauvet ShowXpress PC based lighting system. I find it highly unlikely we would be hooking the old system up for any reason, I think it would have to be a desperate situation before we used this system again, and I would hope it would be temp at that.

So I guess here are my questions.

Is the ETA equipment:
  1. DMX 512 standards complaint so someone else could get use out if?
  2. Is it worth anything?
  • If yes how approx how much?
  1. Any reason not to just throw it away?

Well, if it works, that is a good reason not to throw it away. Just 'cause something is old doesn't mean it should go to the dumpster (unless it literally has parts falling off it).

You mentioned having the dimmer packs with it. In general, that makes the entire system worth a little more and I would not break it up. What protocol are the dimmer packs? The board will match that.

I have had some ETA equipment that had both DMX protocol as well as a proprietary protocol, so it is possible that your system is DMX-based, but unlikely. That said, it doesn't really matter if someone buys it as a stand-alone system.

What's it worth? Well, depends on the condition. Can you post pictures here?

Last edited:
I normally agree that something old shouldn't go straight to the dumpster, I typically live by the motto "Just because something is newer, doesn't mean it's better". I do like the physical sliders over that of a software based sliders. That being said, I'm not looking break it up and sell it per-say, though if I where to sell it online might be easier that way.

I will look closer to see if the dimmer packs say a protocol, they are rack mount dimmers. If there where DMX 512, that would be great! that means I could interchange with other standard compliant equipment, I could maybe do more with it than. If I thought the board worked, I use it to upgrade the lighting board at one of the school's that has a very ANCIENT system (like seriously 40s, no joke).

It might take me a day or two before I can get pictures, but I will try to upload some.

Well, if it works, that is a good reason not to throw it away. Just 'cause something is old doesn't mean it should go to the dumpster.

You mentioned having the dimmer packs with it. In general, that makes the entire system worth a little more and I would not break it up. What protocol are the dimmer packs? The board will match that.

I have had some ETA equipment that had both DMX protocol as well as a proprietary protocol, so it is possible that your system is DMX-based, but unlikely. That said, it doesn't really matter if someone buys it as a stand-alone system.

What's it worth? Well, depends on the condition. Can you post pictures here?

I can tell you that I would LOVE to have something like this to use in my classroom. If anything, see if you can get a tax deductible donation for the theater by donating it to a local school. If the price is right I can be there in 8 hours ;)

I was hoping to get some advice on what to do with an old lighting board. One of the community theatres that I help out with has an old ETA Dual Scene Model 1226 lighting board, and some dimmer packs Model 1758 (I think that's right) to go with.

So I guess here are my questions.

Is the ETA equipment:
  1. DMX 512 standards complaint so someone else could get use out if?
  2. Is it worth anything?
  • If yes how approx how much?
  1. Any reason not to just throw it away?

The ETA 1226 is a 12-channel two-scene preset controller with analog (0 - 10 VDC) output. It uses standard off-the-shelf internal components and thus is easily repairable by someone with electronic repair skills. The most likely failure is in the resistor sliders. Per-channel LEDs at the bottom of the panel let you see what it is sending out (voltage) on each of the 12 channels. You can test operation with no dimmer packs connected by just plugging it in, turning it on, and playing with the controls while observing the LEDs for expected output.

An analog controller requires a dedicated voltage line from each controller channel to a dimmer. The 1226 has two sets of output connectors. One set is for use with 4-channel dimmer packs and there are three connectors in the set, thus controlling 12 channels. The other set is for use with 6-channel dimmer pacts and there are two connectors in the set, again controlling 12 channels.

I'm going to guess that your dimmer packs may be ETA Model 1258. This is a 6-channel rack-mounted dimmer pack and the 1226 can control two of them. You would therefore need to have two multi-conductor control cables between the controller and the packs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back