what to take...

Things I have learned in the last 15 years traveling with church bands and youth bands, oh yeah and the whole colledge thing....those little short specialty power cords for your amps/keyboard etc., have a tendancy to get seperated form the things they power,and you cant replace them with anything else, so make sure they are there before you leave, and always pack an extra. Take a drum key, guitar strap, and xtra picks, sustain pedal, etc.. you may not be a musician but for some reason they expect you to have these things, and if you save their butt once or twice it gains you respect real fast. I started when I was about you age, so I know all about being looked at as just a "kid" when you know way more than the adults but they just won't listen. Leave yourself lots of extra time to set up and test everything, and let it run at volume for a bit to make sure you don't have power or overload problems. If you think you might need it grab it, you may have to carry back in some extra stuff, but it's better than kicking yourself for not picking up that whaterv it was you left in the storage room. Trust me. Good luck, and may God bless your efforts.

ok so i was informed yesterday that they want a small lighting rig as well, which is more of my forte. here is my revised list. SOUND

Microphones:
-5 SM57s (1 snare, 2 amps, 1 extra)
-4 SM58s (2 vocals, 1 extra)
-1 wireless handheld (announcements/lesson)
-kick drum (kick drum, duh)
-BK-1 overhead (drum kit)

Speakers and amps
3-5 mackie actives (mains, monitors)
4-5 JBL Eons (monitors)
1-2 mackie Subs (15 inch)
3 guitar amps
1 bass amp

Cables
6 20 foot ¼ cables
25-30 20 foot XLR cables
4 50 foot XLR cables
1 75 foot 16 chan. Snake
Several short ¼ cables
iPod cables
4 channel insert snake
XLR splitters
¼ cable

Stands
5 mini stands
6 tripod stands
9 regular mic clips
1 wireless mic clip
3 speaker stands

Other
3 direct boxes
Drum shield
Gaff tape
Tie line
Batteries
Zip ties
AC extension cords
Ground lifts
Power strip
Small table
Mini mixer (outdoor PA system)
RCA (f) to ¼ (m)

Rackmount (don’t forget the Rack!)
Mixer
2 chan EQ (15)
2 chan EQ (30)
External FX
CD player
Wireless receiver
Power conditioner

LIGHING
Controller
3 portable dimmers (maybe 4)
2 50 ft DMX cables (5 pin)
2 25 ft DMX cables (5 pin)
1 50 ft DMX cable (3 pin)
DMX adapters
10 par 38 cans (could be less once we dicuss the “vision” of camp
Blue Christmas lights/rope lights
3 20 ft AC extensions
2 50 ft AC extensions
3 10-15 ft AC extensions
Universal power cables
Wrenches
Dark blue and light blue Gels
Extra bulbs
Speaker stands with “t” bars or lighting trees

thanks for all of your help!

...and a patridge in a pear tree!!

sorry, couldnt resist. end of year inventory is driving all us teachers crazy. sounds like quite a load. i'm surprised the camp wants that much for a "small" venue! make sure you have a reliable trailer....

Hopefully we will Borrowing the big van we take on retreats. And they wouldn't know what to take to begin with... That's why I was asked to help

People can comment on items obviously missing or that don't seem needed, but whether it will "work" and many other potential comments depends on a lot more than just the equipment. For example, why 3-5 Mackies and 4-5 EONs? How do you plan to address the subs as far as connectivity, crossover, etc., especially as you apparently aren't sure how many speakers or what mixer you have? Why 25-30 20' XLR cables, is the mixer going to be within 20' of all instruments and mics and you are connecting everything direct? What is the four channel insert snake for? How do you plan to assign the EQs? How many monitor mixes? Why 3 speaker stands, is one for redundancy (not a bad idea, just not clear)?

You mentioned having FOH and the stage on different circuits. This may be required but if you are using all powered speakers and now adding lighting then almost all of your power requirements are at the stage, the power requirements at FOH are minimal. Have you verified having sufficient power for what you plan to do? Also, since you plan to use direct outs from amps and powered speakers, having FOH and the stage on separate circuits, that were likely not designed for this purpose, increases the chances of ground loops so you might want to be prepared with some adapters to break the audio (not power) ground or some isolation transformers.

only blue lights and blue gels?
i don't know exactly what you're trying to do, but maybe a couple of warm gels would be a good idea, having contrasting lights available if you want them is generally helpful

I presume the venue is supplying the kitchen sink.:mrgreen:

Always pack extra power extension cables. Last camp / conference I was at I lent out power leads for a coffee machine, random floodlights and that's the bits I remember. No doubt I lent one for a laptop at some point...

Our opinions on mains ground lifts are well known - search if you need to - I strongly suggest they are NOT taken, someone else will borrow them and that could end badly...

Else good luck and assume last minute changes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back