What's wrong in this picture?

Personally I objected to the use of the Camloc Splitter/Spider Box at all, and questioned why we couldn't just pass-thru the PDs, but it wasn't my call.

Yea, rack looping is how my old systems were set up. As long as every component in the power chain exceeds the ratings of the main disconnect, it makes for a much cleaner setup. Now, this was back in the 80s but as far as I know this would still be true today. I used three EDI hernia racks (I think they were about 400 pounds each, but my back might be exaggerating ;) ) Each had 5 male and 5 female cams.

and I measured only 1.5A max. on the neutral. If you think I'm pulling TWO pieces of 100' 4/0 to carry 1.5A...well....

1.5 amps? Well, I guess I'll let you off the hook on that one ;)

Only reason I can think of to not use a pass through is that if you need to replace a rack or take it offline you would have to power down everything else while you unplugged it then reconnected everything with out the rack in place. A bit far fetched but you never know what the last gig was like for the PME it sucks getting burned and its not his back humping the feeder so by all means.

spider boxes are not a bad thing, they have their places. I personally just use pass through's. But if you have a bunch of racks that dont, then thats when the spider box comes in. It looks better than having a bunch of cam T's shoved on the back of racks. As far as circuit protection, most pass throughs are not protected by the breaker in the rack. You dont want to have an internal short in a rack take out the rest of your rig, you just want it to protect that rack. All pass throughs are rated for at least 400 amps. (since 400 amps is the max amperage for the cam connectors, when you excede this, then you get into the fun task of having double hots, neutral and ground). You commonly see spider boxes in the video industry because many of the bigger lights have cam on the end of them so you have to use a spider box as a big 4-fer or whatever. Also knowlege of amperage is definately neccessary when useing feeder. Since most disconnects are rated between 200-600 amps, if you go plugging your 2 awg feeder into a 600 amp disconnect and then try running 400 amps down it. Nothing is going to protect your feeder, until you have a big goo ball. Even after i clamp around all the legs checking for amperage draw, i go back later and do the hand test, to make sure its not getting too warm for some reason.

Am I the only one who used front end disconnects? Back in the 80s I always had my own disconnect with breaker at the company switch end to protect my feeders and equipment, so the switch size was not an issue. That way, at the end of the night I could get moving without waiting for some house guy to come around and disconnect me. I can remember nights where the whole truck was packed up and I was waiting around for them to disconnect my disconnect!

Making one has been on my thing to do list.......
I really like using them just becuase you can go ahead and pull everything else out. I just use tails and break them hot (no load of course) if i have to and just tape the ends up.

Here's what I said:
...In theory if one didn't want/need to use the convenience outlets, one wouldn't even have to run a neutral to an ML PD. Think of the labor savings!

Methinks someone should pay closer attention.
...And as to not connecting the neutral and ground, well, no neutral one can get away with, but no ground... tsk tsk tsk...
I did not EVER say anything about NOT connecting the ground. I even force TV trucks to run a ground into my building, even though I know they often don't connect it at their end. But I only have to cover my end/rear.

Only reason I can think of to not use a pass through is that if you need to replace a rack or take it offline you would have to power down everything else while you unplugged it then reconnected everything with out the rack in place. A bit far fetched but you never know what the last gig was like for the PME it sucks getting burned and its not his back humping the feeder so by all means.
Good thinking, except in this case ML PD#3 was an active spare, with nothing plugged into it!

Am I the only one who used front end disconnects? Back in the 80s I always had my own disconnect with breaker at the company switch end to protect my feeders and equipment, so the switch size was not an issue. That way, at the end of the night I could get moving without waiting for some house guy to come around and disconnect me. I can remember nights where the whole truck was packed up and I was waiting around for them to disconnect my disconnect!
In Las Vegas, almost every ballroom arena has Camlocs permanently installed, so no waiting for tails to be disconnected. Local disconnects are used in ballrooms, but not so much in arenas. I was told that the largest shop in town doesn't own any switches larger than 200A, which cannot even feed a 48x2.4 rack!

I was told that the largest shop in town doesn't own any switches larger than 200A, which cannot even feed a 48x2.4 rack!

Wow! I still think I have a 400A one rusting in my back shed with all that old EDI stuff!

I have a moving light PD that is strictly 208 and it does not have a neutral. But it definately has a ground. For digital circuitry to properly work, it requires a proper ground. It uses the ground as its 0V reference. Also there may be some things in a 208V moving light that actually works off of 110 so they use the ground to complete the circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back