What's your favorite wifi router for shows?

I use Apple Airport Express, because it is tidy and plugpack/wallwart free.

I control my mixer through it and it also carries my ArtNet. Artnet is bridged into wireless DMX for ultimate delivery to fixtures.

Apple Airplay is a nice feature for sound system testing; I wouldn't trust a show to it, but it is nice to be able to walk around with an iPad and play music remotely from audience areas.

I use a cheap Netgear router. They seem to work well for my needs. Both my church and school have one. Use them for M-PC and Behringer x32 app thing.

The airport only has one LAN port though...

My home is fed with 4x Cisco wireless routers. We use Cisco and Aruba at work. I also have cheap netgear units that I use when testing lighting software. I have zero problems with Netgear, the airports just worked out to be better in my roadcases. I also have no love for plugpacks.

Last edited:
We recently upgraded our router. We were using a TP-Link Archer N750 but we now have the Archer C7. It's nice because it has AC1750 and it has a pretty decent range. It also has pretty decent access control - for some reason my boss gives out my password so (without telling him, of course) I hid the SSID and filter MAC addresses. :twisted:

It works great - runs DANTE to our Yamaha QL5, OSC to our ETC Ion and projector control without any hiccups.

Cheap Netgear.

I do nothing related to actually running the show over WiFi, only for focus, lamp and system checks, etc. I use the ETC aRFR and iRFR apps as well as the OSC app and have never had issues.

I second the Archer C7. Have used mine on many shows without any issues.

We are just venturing into artnet for lighting comm and I went with Linksys. I am very familiar with them both at home and work (cctv security recorders) and have found them to be straightforward and reliable. It will carry only lighting traffic. We'll see...

We too also have a few Airport Express we send out, mostly because of their nice form factor. Anything more involved than a quick show gets a Engeious access point, which has a internal DHCP server. I am not sure I've ever needed a router functionality in a show situation.

We recently upgraded our router. We were using a TP-Link Archer N750 but we now have the Archer C7. It's nice because it has AC1750 and it has a pretty decent range. It also has pretty decent access control - for some reason my boss gives out my password so (without telling him, of course) I hid the SSID and filter MAC addresses. :twisted:

It works great - runs DANTE to our Yamaha QL5, OSC to our ETC Ion and projector control without any hiccups.

Do you mean you run Dante Controller over wifi? Audinate says Dante audio cannot run over wifi. Some of their applications are designed to not even recognize a wifi connection. If, by some miracle, Dante audio works that way, I wouldn't use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back