Where do we keep that?

Patzmcc

My theater center has 4 theaters and one room that also gets used as a theater and is a labyrinth of a building. I am trying to put together a guide for all of my electricians that clearly states where everything is stores. I have the obvious items on there so far: fixtures, lamps, gel, twofers, cable, lens tubes, top hats. What else should be on there? What are some things that would slow you down if you didn't know where it was while working as an electrician in a new venue? I want this list to be complete and I know there are so many small things that I am overlooking.

It's okay to start a list, and revise it as time goes on.

Off hand, things you may have missed: gel frames, templates, template holders, barndoors, irises, followspot accessories, boom base, pipe, truss, instrument parts (such as shutters and knobs), plugs, receptacles, switches, raw cable, practicals, fuses, safety gear (such as harnesses) and anything else they might need are; where the tool room or the shop is; how to get into the pit, the grid, the control booth, the followspot position, the loading dock, the break room; weight load limits of the lighting grid or linesets are; limitations on screwing into the deck, and so on.

Also where the restrooms and vending machines, and first aid kit are.

USITT has a very nice standardized document for "what you need to know about the space" intended largely for outside touring groups, but helpful also as an introductory documents for your own staff.

I want this list to be complete.

The most common, frequented things should be in obvious locations, and when they can't be located in obvious places, a simple diagram may suffice. The more complete the list is, the more obfuscated it becomes as people try to weed through it to find what they're looking for instead of just asking for it.

As a stagehand in a new venue, I expect I'll be told where the things are that I need, if I need them. I expect (and prefer) I won't be let loose into the venue's full inventory of everything they own without oversight.

As a manager, I expect people will come to be when they have questions instead of rooting around trying to find things I may not want them to find. The new guy asking "Where do we keep the lamps?" may also be the guy who thinks the answer to every light not coming on is to begin troubleshooting by putting a new lamp in. Or if the group is a rental, that new person may not know that if the client asks for a bunch of rolls of spike tape or a case of batteries, that those come at additional fees that 1) the new guy will forget to track and that 2) the client may not know when asking for those things that they should be incurring additional fees they'll have to pay when they close out their rental agreement.

When people cannot find things and they have to ask, it's an excellent opportunity I have to filter what they're doing so I know they're not getting into a regrettable situation. Conversely, when people get to know the place well enough to know where everything is, there's a good chance they've become autonomous by showing they know what they're doing without getting into trouble.

My temptation is to say do a simple list or diagram that covers the 80% of what people will usually need, and for the other 20% it's probably better that they have to stop and ask where to find things like the glass gobos, the 20-roll box of glow tape, or the box of 250 9V batteries (kinds of things that tend to walk if you leave them unattended).

If I were someone new coming in to a multi-venue location, things I'd want to know, based on a 5 venue facility on the campus I work at that has nothing defined, including boundaries between spaces.
1.) Are the venues cross connected? If so, how? How do I make sure I don't stomp on someone else/figure out if someone else is stomping on me? If not, and I'm doing something in both, how do I make it so?
2.) Where does each data line and show power outlet (dim and non-dim) terminate? Are dim and non-dim switchable? If so, how?
3.) What is the native format for each data port? MADI, AES, DMX, Ethernet, Speaker level (Said venue where I work has big warnings to not use ports in auditoriums unless you've patched them yourself since that RJ-45 might have a power amp at the other end), HD-SDI, etc?
4.) What converters are stocked vs what do I need to obtain? (And where to find them)
5.) Other quirks related to doing things in multple rooms at once, like the builder putting all the non-dim on same leg in all the rooms, which is more than venue can handle, etc.
6.) Wireless frequencies in use in each room - both fixed and negotiable. Can more wireless gear be added, or is the spectrum full?

I am guessing that you are at LATC.
Maze is a generous description. I spent many years in the building. It was always difficult to find stuff if it hadn't been returned to its home. The layout of equipment and supplies was to maximize the limited storage space available. That things were in the far flung corners of the building wasn't a problem because it was a repertory theatre with time to plan and not a road house where you need things 5 minutes ago.
I would suggest a color coded laminate. Two sides.
Side one Th. 1 & 2 with the hall ways and booths on the 3rd floor shown. Color code for gel & frames. Color code for cable. Color code for Misc. Parts and accessories. Color code(s) for fixtures. Color code for dimmer room.
Side two Th. 3, tech office & shop. Strips & boom bases color coded. Shop color coded. Lift to Th. 1 marked. Storage room (if it still is storage) off the Th. 3 lobby.
There is no way people won't get lost for awhile. If you want to do more, make a more complete .pdf that they can have on their phones with floor plans.
I have many fond memories of working at the TC, and some not so fond ones, too.
Good luck!
John

I am guessing that you are at LATC.
Maze is a generous description. I spent many years in the building. It was always difficult to find stuff if it hadn't been returned to its home. The layout of equipment and supplies was to maximize the limited storage space available. That things were in the far flung corners of the building wasn't a problem because it was a repertory theatre with time to plan and not a road house where you need things 5 minutes ago.
you are correct, I am at LATC, and the point of the list is to make sure things get home as much as it is to make sure people know where to pull from. I like the idea of color coding everything.
Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) we have become about 50/50 rep theater vs road house so it is becoming more important that the crew knows where they need to go to get things and not stop on all 8 floors looking for what they need.

Oh, you'll still be stopping on all 8 floors by design, by need,...or by accident.
What is your position there?
I forgot to say that sound and carpentry need there own laminates. I think there is too much info to try and get into one drawing.
John

I'm the Head of Electrics here, and if I could just cut it down to only stopping on 6 floors it would be a marked improvement. At this point I'm leaving sound and carp departments to fend for them selves (though I know they will re-purpose what I come up with).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back