Control/Dimming Where do you start numbering universes?

JChenault

We're working on a major rewrite of our control software and an issue has come up that I would like opinions on.

What should be the number of the initial universe in a console? Do you start with 1 or 0?

Ie if you are using three universes is ist more natural to think of them as '0 1 2'. Or '1 2 3'

1 - 2 - 3. I feel like 0 might be good for something but im not sure what. Sounds like a movie, universe zero...

I've never heard of anyone using anything but 1, 2, 3,... The only reason I could see starting with 0 would be if you want to use it in some sort of formula. Like, [universe #] * 512 + [address] to give you the DMX channel in patch. But, nowadays, you just type [universe #]/[address] format and the comp figures it out for you. I think starting with 1 is just easier and will confuse less amateurs if you don't have to explain constantly, "No, universe 1 is actually the second universe...."

-Tim

Well, you know us code writers, 0 is always the first valid entry!

$first_number = @array[0];

Of course for the rest of the human race, 1 2 3 would make a lot more sense!

Agreed, while a value of 0 makes sense when writing the software, 1,2,3 etc will put it in line with how most people think and with how most outputs are numbered.

Agreed, while a value of 0 makes sense when writing the software, 1,2,3 etc will put it in line with how most people think and with how most outputs are numbered.

You could always throw in a universe soft patch, and be able to select whatever numbers you want, so theoretically I could program it using universes 5, 10 and 25 but those output to 0,1,2 or however it works... Not sure its a useful feature, but it might have some application...

I understand the digital number fact versus people (look at how many thought the end of the 20th Century was 31st December 1999 not 2000!!), however human speech is such that it makes sense to say the 1st Universe is Universe 1.

Cheers,
Ric

Strand Consoles use 1, 2, 3 for numbering universes. We acquired a VL64 Last Spring.

Well, as a programmer, 0 makes sense and may be less confusing to code. However, starting at 1 makes the most sense for normal people.

Starting at 1 is also less confusing if you want to talk about it – "On the first and second universes we have… wait, actually universes zero and one…"

Using letters is another option that may be less confusing – so rather than two numbers that mean different things, it's obvious one is referring to universes and the other, addresses.

For paperwork I use letters... less ambiguity. Practically all consoles number starting at 1, at artnet starts at 0, In fact just had an issue with this yesterday. We had an add-on package for a stadium show. The add-on system was on the consoles universes 18-21, but everything was being distributed via artnet so the artnet nodes needed to be set to 17-20. Took just a moment to clear up, but I see this problem quite frequently... Thats why I use letters.
RB

For paperwork I use letters... less ambiguity. Practically all consoles number starting at 1, at artnet starts at 0, In fact just had an issue with this yesterday. We had an add-on package for a stadium show. The add-on system was on the consoles universes 18-21, but everything was being distributed via artnet so the artnet nodes needed to be set to 17-20. Took just a moment to clear up, but I see this problem quite frequently... Thats why I use letters.
RB

I'm also a fan of using letters over numbers for exactly this reason. Very often, your first universe will not be the first DMX output on the board. Especially when you're dealing with multiple console situations, it's common to have the conventional console putting out universes A-C, the ML console putting out universes D-J, and the video console putting out universes K-P, for example. Depending on the consoles used, it may be easier to have the first universe from each console actually set up as Universe 1, but you don't want to have three different Universe 1's in your rig that you have to keep separated. If you were feeling adventurous, you could add a feature that allowed the user to use letters instead of numbers for universes with a simple (A=1, B=2, etc.) relationship. Not really that necessary, but it might see some use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back