Mixers/Consoles Which is easier, Analog or Digital console

Which Console is Better or Easier ?

• Total voters

WooferHound

I have mixed on a lot of analog consoles and a couple of digital consoles
It's nice on analog that you can grab any control at any time
On digital it's nice to have huge control over everything
Which is better and easier ?

Personally, I learned on digital, and although most of the "special" feature that come with a digital board do require a bit of getting used to, I've talked to people that learned on analog consoles and there really isn't too much of a difference, so long as you are already comfortable with the idea of digital equipment. For those of us that prefer the physical idea of lines and channels, it is easier. Those of us already comfortable using a computer and software, there isn't a large learning curve.

Just my personal opinion. Any others?

As a lighting guy who runs a sound console 4 or 5 times a year I love analog consoles. I don't spend enough time running an audio console to be familiar with all of the cool stuff a digital desk can do. I like being able to walk up to an analog console and just go. They're also great for dance recitals and the like when they end up having someone dad run it. As a local who has to push a console up a hill and help stand them up onto a table or a rocker I love digital desks. I don't think anyone liked moving a big Midas console around.

I think it all depends on what you're trying to do, and what type of physical control surface your digital board has.

At a high level comparison the digital board should be the more flexible choice because the hard controls can be used to do different things at different times. For example your main fader bank can be used for aux send control, which can be extremely convenient in some situations. But the digital board must support that feature.

One hands down advantage with the digital board that I like, is having compression built in to each channel.

Digital is by far the superior choice. Analogue just has a lower learning curve.

Someone used to tell me that they thought analog boards were frightening, then I stuck them on an SD5. They ran.

Here's my take on it:
A: A frequently asked question at FOH by the punters is> "Do you really know what all those knobs do?"
B: Digital consoles have fewer knobs (Granted the knobs they have do many, many things and never mind the touchscreen, that doesn't count since it is really just a big blinky light.)
C: Digital consoles are easier to use.
How is that for convoluted logic.

At least at my level, for analog, operator stress peaks during the production. Digital tends to make the pre-planning process more intense, and more stressful as a result.

I learned on Digital, and love to use it. In some ways I like analog, but in the end digital proves to b the best choice every time. I use a presonus 16.4.2 regularly, and features like built in EQ profiles, Easy stereo control, and channel copying make it incredibly fast to mix on. Even though its an older console, it still does the job really well, and I don't think I could go back to less. Also with boards like the X32, Digital is also cheaper then any analog console with even a fraction of the features.
Just looked up the SD5, Wow.

Digital is by far the superior choice. Analogue just has a lower learning curve.

Someone used to tell me that they thought analog boards were frightening, then I stuck them on an SD5. They ran.
Analog boards are frightening if you don't know how to use one. Just looking at the hundreds of different knobs will make your head spin.

I learned on analog and still use it, but also am learning digital desks as well. So i honestly can say i prefer analog as i feel like I get a leaner sound. Just my preference. But i am getting used to digital and am liking it. Just not the stress of it.

Digital consoles are SO much more powerful than analog consoles. That said, the initial learning curve for this old has was fairly steep. Once I found out that I could set individual compression on EACH channel and do all of the eq subtleties I was sold. My primary digital experience has been on an LS9 and I can't tell you how many times I have poked my finger at the "non-touch" screen!

Analog boards are frightening if you don't know how to use one. Just looking at the hundreds of different knobs will make your head spin.
Digital boards are frightening if you don't know how to use one. Just looking at all the different options will make your head spin.

The thing about analog consoles is that a mid-size console may only have 20-30 knobs that are truly different functions. While there may be hundreds of knobs, nearly 600 on a 32 channel A&H GL3300, most of them all perform the same functions. Is a console with only 16 faders less intimidating than one with 48? No, all the faders do the same thing. All the knobs on one fader strip do the same thing as the knob next to it on the next fader strip. Easy-peasy.
A: A frequently asked question at FOH by the punters is> "Do you really know what all those knobs do?"
Punters typically aren't smart enough to realize that each knob isn't a unique function.

Depends on the console!!! Entirely!

Define "better mix" and "easier to mix"...

Personally "Easier to mix" goes to Analog.
"Better Mix" to me is completely subjective there are so many analog and digital consoles and they are NOT CREATED EQUAL. An O1V or M7CL is not the same as a SD9. A Mackie 1604 or Berhinger -whatever- are quite different from say a Midas XL4.

Preamps differ, Digital to Analog Conversion differs, as does sample rate and so many different things.

Which is easier to mix on? Subjective, mainly by skill level, and what you are trying to do with it... With Digital you have to go through pages and menus, etc to access controls. Lots of Bells and Whistles right out of the box. With Analog you just grab and twist.

To the layman Analog consoles may look daunting, but really once you look at it subjectively its the same thing repeated over and over and is not really that daunting at all.
Some Digital consoles are a PAIN to get at and adjust certain things especially...

However Digital's real advantage is "everything in one box", I'd say. They are now HUGELY POWERFUL, and can do OH SO MUCH. Much more than an analog console of course, and in a smaller lighter package.

I learnt on Analog, Digital certainly "wasn't there yet" when I was learning. And I love Digital, but a lot of the older consoles are crap in my opinion, sound like crap and not as user friendly as some. These days it isn't really the case of course.

Going from one Analog console to another is EASY, however doing the same thing with digital consoles... After knowing how to use several digital consoles, the first time I was behind the likes of an M7CL or SD9 could I use it to it's potential or whatnaught? no. Simply no. I had to either figure it out or get taught how to use the console.
Took me a little even to figure out patching on the Allen & Heath GLD80, "okay now where is this or that".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back