Why pipe for battens?

I introduced myself to these forums with a foot in my mouth after reading older posts again I realized I glazed over the answer.:oops:

Just to add, for nuts like me, to the gas lighting history here is a link to edison monthly discussing the shift away from gas lighting. By changing the google(book) parameter I.E. Edison Monthly Theater to Edison Monthly Theater Lighting you can get more articles.

If the link fails it is Edison Monthly 1917 Volume 9 page 338 by New York Edision Company.

The Edison monthly - Google Books

Gas Light was developed in the late 18th century and by 1815 there were commercial gas generating plants that piped gas to homes and businesses. One of the first uses of gas in the entertainment industry was in Paris, circa 1816. The first gas light units were simply long pipes with a lot of holes drilled in them, hung over the stage and fed by rubber hoses. It became obvious very quickly that the holes rusted up and with the holes on top, most of the light was blocked by the pipe. It also became obvious that the open flame was a fire hazard, especially as scenery then was all wood and fabric and flameproofing was still 100 years or more away. Improvements included ceramic tips to form and shape the flame and short stems to place the flame to the side of the pipe. Other improvements included corrugated tin heat shield/reflectors and wire cages.

The introduction of electricity did not replace gas overnight. In fact many stage, businesses and homes were still lit with gas after WWI. At the beginning there were many electric/gas combination units. Check out this old J.R. Clancy catalog from 1893 and look on page 3
http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1102258086690-159/Theatre+DesTech+Fall10.pdf
You can see the gas jet stems and the bare bulb lights in the combination unit. After the turn of the century, the exact date is highly debated among historians and many inventors and entrepreneurs have tried to take credit for inventing the first single units. What is known is that as theatres changed to electricity, the gas pipes were still there and simply left in place especially if they were the combination units. As spotlights and purpose built trough type strip lights were developed, the gas pipe that was there was the obvious place to hang them. As single units were developed and lenses and reflectors were added, it became clear that chain and standard plumbing fittings were impractical as a clamping/hanging device and someone developed the "C" clamp we all know and love/hate today. I have never studied the history of the "C" clamp, if anyone has real documented information on this I would be interested.

As lighting equipment developed in the first quarter of the 20th century, more lighting positions were added and by now many of the units had clamps that attached to pipe. Most old hemp systems did not have battens of any kind, wood or other. The battens were a permanent part of drops sandwiched to the tops and lift lines were attached directly to the drops or hard scenery as needed. Wood battens were not suitable to hang lights and they were weak when it came to supporting the point loads imparted by lighting equipment and cable, so pipe was used. At the time the number of lights and the structure of scenery did not impose the loads we experience today. Pipe was much stronger than wood and no one thought to get engineers involved or anticipate the loads we impose on rigging systems today. If they had, it is possible we might have a batten shape similar to an I beam or back to back strut as battens today. Touring shows also began to request house battens for flying drops so they could tour with folded goods instead of a drop rolled on a 40' long top batten of double 1x3.

Basically, when electricity came along, there was pipe where the lights needed to go. As electric units were developed and expanded, the desired locations for lights already had pipe there, so hang or attach the lights to the pipe, and so on. The choice of pipe was one of availability and convenience, not one of structural consideration, strength or anything else.
HTH.

Last edited:
If edges are so week explain a triangle stronger than a circle but has three edges. This for discussion and not ment as an attack to anyone. I understand its fairly infeasable to use triangular piping in a lighting environment but what about its strength?

sent from my Droid incredible using tapatalk.

If edges are so week explain a triangle stronger than a circle but has three edges. This for discussion and not ment as an attack to anyone. I understand its fairly infeasable to use triangular piping in a lighting environment but what about its strength?

sent from my Droid incredible using tapatalk.

What Angurn appeared to be getting at was that loading a flat surface is very different from loading a curved surface. Think of a dome or of a tunnel.

If you constructed a tunnel with a square or rectangular cross-sectional shape, either the top of the tunnel has to be extremely sturdy or posts need to be constructed to prevent the roof from caving in. All of the load is applied directly to the flat area of the ceiling via gravity.

With a circular cross-section, the curvature of the walls (since there isn't really a "ceiling", per say) actually redirects the forces placed upon them such that they transfer those forces due to gravity along the walls and into the ground on either side of the cross-section.

Also consider the dome of the Florence Cathedral:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The horizontal diameter at the base of the dome is 43m (141 ft). A flat ceiling where the dome is, without any supports from below, would certainly collapse under its own weight. However, the shape of a dome causes the forces of gravity to exert forces that push outward from the center of the dome instead of inward (perpendicular to the structure, as would be the case with a flat roof), therefore distributing the forces safely into the structure at the base of the dome.

Last edited:
...I have never studied the history of the "C" clamp, if anyone has real documented information on this I would be interested. ...
The Untold History of the Ubiquitous C-Clamp. Sounds like a perfect Masters Thesis for someone.:rolleyes: Can't be certain, as the Kliegl archives is missing catalogs between 1936 and 1950, but I would think the cast-iron lighting C-clamp was in use before WWII. I'm sure STEVETERRY and/or dramatech were using them long before that.:lol:

See also the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/question-day/13556-whats.html .

Saw this on another forum and thought it semi-relevant,
"Many people believe a 1900 box got it’s name from the fact that it originally was 19 cubic inches. In trying to track that back, I couldn’t find any proof of that but the first reference I saw to 1900 was in the 1917 Central Electric Supply Catalog where they referred to these boxes as 1900 Combination Gas and Electric Boxes. The name seems to have come from the part number given by the Bossert Company. One means of early wiring was to use abandoned gas pipe as the wireway and the manufacturers offered products to accommodate this need. Since this was so common early on, they got the name Combination Gas and Electric Boxes. The gas connection was accomplished by using the 1/2" knock-out and closing the cap with a 3/8" flange on the box cover. The image above shows a section from the 1917 catalog describing these boxes. It shows part numbers for the generic LIST#, Sprauge Manufacturing, The Bossert Co and Chicago Fuse respectively."

Author unknown.

One means of early wiring was to use abandoned gas pipe as the wireway and the manufacturers offered products to accommodate this need.
Back in 1969, I actually came across this practice. Living in Brookline, Boston, My wife and I rented an apartment in a 1920's house converted into apartments. The conversion was a bit hap-hazard and very much landlord DIY. My wife started having headaches and one day she swore she heard hissing from the wall sconce, a real gaslight sconce converted to electricity. A bit of investigation showed she was right and that the hissing was gas that would sustain a flame like a weak pilot light. I broke into the basement which was padlocked and discovered an incredible rat's nest and maze of old pipe and tube plumbing and knob and tube wiring. in several places the wire was stuffed into a pipe and the end caulked shut. It looked like the old gas light pipes were used as conduit when it changed over and some where after WWII when natural gas was installed for cooking, some of the old gas lines were used for that. The result was gas was all over the house. Luckily the basement had several broken out windows and was open to the outside air. We warned the other residents, called the police, rented a U-haul and moved out within a couple of hours. Never looked back. It was a miracle the house didn't explode or burn down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back