Wireless Microphone Problems, with a show approaching.

To attach microphones to actors heads that are using the mikes during the entire show, use spirit gum. This is only a good idea to do if the microphone element is large, otherwise bobby pins work. If you are switching mikes during the show, it is best from my experience to just clip them or re bobby pin them. Depending on how well your sound system is set up, most feedback in any one space with similar microphones will be on the same frequencies. On a mackie with a sweepable EQ, you will want to cut out almost everything between the ten o'clock and one o'clock position (I can't remember the frequencies). I happen to use a SR32-4. Anyway, you will want at least a 24 band EQ (unless you already have one) between the main board and the amps. Give yourself some feedback that you normally get, and then try cutting out frequencies on the EQ untill the feedback goes away. Do this as many times as you need.
If you could take pictures of all your gear and post them, it would allow us better to tell you what you will need to do. If your wireless packs have a screen with a level indicator on them, make sure that that level is not peaking with normal use. If if is, it is a problem with your pack.

Thanks so much to everybody who helped out here. The show went off spectacularly. I found a two-channel, ten band EQ with broken VU meters that worked very well. The sound wasn't spectacular, but hey, I'm a perfectionist, and it was certainly a major improvement from last year's sound.

Spirit gum- bad idea. I tried that during tech week. I was very careful, but it fell off partway through the show and the actor didn't tell me, he just stuck some more spirit gum on there and stuck the mic down. Now we have one less lav. Goodbye $400 microphone. From top to bottom: cheek bone, spirit gum, molding putty (the stuff used for blocking out facial hair, for creating different facial shapes, etc,) mic, more putty. The mic fell off somehow, and he just put some spirit gum on the putty and put it back. Don't know what happened, but it was nasty, and I now have a fear of spirit gum. So, it probably works fine, but I'd be careful..

Thanks again, and I'm saving this forum for future reference. There's always really great stuff that people throw in here.

What kind of capsules are you using? $400 seems a bit pricey for capsules used with high school productions - I used $60 WL93's and they sounded fine!

OOH!!! Don't i just know the feeling!!!!

we have a production of Back to the 80's going up in 1 1\2 weeks and the Theatre Manager dropped the Multicouplers for our VEGA U2020 radio mics. not we have to way to power the recievers.

ah well, it'll resolve it's self at the last minute.

After all, if it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back