Working on getting an old Expression 1 board running. Got a question.

Ravenbar

I haven't got the board in the house and set up yet, which will ultimately give me the answer I seek.

I've got an OLD ETC Expression 1 board that has been sitting in my garage the last 10 year. Inherited it from the college when I graduated/it was retired due to a bad Grandmaster. The Grandmaster is stuck a 0% as I recall(or the blackout button is stuck on internally). Just found a CGA monitor to hook to it today(Amiga monitor manufactured November of 1985, fo a few months younger than I am).

All I need from the board for my current show is for it to provide submaster for a few DMX toy's we're using(a couple LED Par's(7ch ea) and a couple Chauvet Abyss USB projectors(4ch ea).

My reasoning behind using this board is that I may not be the only one operating it and everyone else only has experience with an Expression 3 board so trying to keep it in the family, so to speak. If I can't get it working, options are setting up an old 2 scene preset Colortran board the school has, getting some sort of usb/DMX interface for a laptop, or I'm thinking about maybe getting a cheat(sub $100) DJ grade board off Amazon.

My question is, does anyone remember if an Expression 1 has a way to disable the Grandmaster in the setup menu? The manual doesn't say a word on the topic and google doesn't have much given the age of the board predating Google by quite a lot. As I said above, the Gm is stuck at a 0% condition. I not, is there any way to bypass the GM internally(i.e. Jumper wire of something)?

If you're a brave soul, you could pop it open, and see if you can detach/bypass/replace whatever isn't working right. Haven't had any experience with the Expression 1, so I don't know how easy it really is to open up.

The very stock answer to this is always the same:
For quickest and most accurate advice is give ETC tech support a call at 1- 800-688-4116 or email at [email protected]

Crack it open before you call them. So you can have it available.

Hopefully it’s just the fader and not something else.

When you do open it up take pictures. We don’t have pictures on here of the inside of the Expression.

open it up. spray electrical cotact on outside and inside of the GM button. push on off secerial times. same with slider. if not fixed go behind the GM switch is two wires remove them and tie together. have unplugged when you do this. shoild temporary fix problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back