Working with individual LEDs

rochem

So while I've worked with LED products and I understand the principles and theories behind LEDs, I'm now realizing that I really don't know much about working with individual LEDs. I've worked on large-scale LED projects before, but even those usually used LED rope/tape or other products that already had LEDs integrated into them. I'm working on something now where I essentially need to wire up individual LEDs, and I'm really not sure even where to begin.

So here's the scenario. I need to put tiny, dim LED indicators into the deck along the downstage edge of a show deck. There will be a total of 19 LEDs in the deck, each spaced 2' apart, with each LED being one of 5 different colors. These will be sunk into the deck slightly to hide them from the audience while being visible to the actor, so small size is important. They will be used both as a marker for where the pit is, but the colors will also indicate location on the stage - they line up with the dance numbers along the DS edge - so they need to be very dim, but at least bright enough to be seen by the actors under stage lighting. They also need to be switchable from the lighting console, so they'll eventually go into a 2P&G connector and cannot run off DC.

My initial thought was to wire groups of low-voltage LEDs in series to make a full 120V - which is what I would do if I was doing this with low-voltage birdies or similar. However, I'm having a hell of a time even locating individual LEDs for purchase. I haven't found anything at my local stores, and even McMaster-Carr seems to be failing me. What I really want is tiny individual LEDs with leads that I can wire together, but I can only find pre-built items containing LEDs. Is this normal, and it's not actually possible to buy just the LED itself? Am I thinking about this too much like a conventional wiring project? Also, for those of you who have done this before, what kind of voltage/wattage combination would get me light that's the right intensity for my purposes?

While this does have an end result, I'm also looking to try to learn more about this with this project, so feel free to provide auxiliary information if relevant. Thanks!!

Might try looking at Acclaim's X-Chip product. It has a power supply, is DMX addressable and you can purchase individual chips. You won't have to worry about making any of those things yourself....

So while I've worked with LED products and I understand the principles and theories behind LEDs, I'm now realizing that I really don't know much about working with individual LEDs. I've worked on large-scale LED projects before, but even those usually used LED rope/tape or other products that already had LEDs integrated into them. I'm working on something now where I essentially need to wire up individual LEDs, and I'm really not sure even where to begin.

So here's the scenario. I need to put tiny, dim LED indicators into the deck along the downstage edge of a show deck. There will be a total of 19 LEDs in the deck, each spaced 2' apart, with each LED being one of 5 different colors. These will be sunk into the deck slightly to hide them from the audience while being visible to the actor, so small size is important. They will be used both as a marker for where the pit is, but the colors will also indicate location on the stage - they line up with the dance numbers along the DS edge - so they need to be very dim, but at least bright enough to be seen by the actors under stage lighting. They also need to be switchable from the lighting console, so they'll eventually go into a 2P&G connector and cannot run off DC.

My initial thought was to wire groups of low-voltage LEDs in series to make a full 120V - which is what I would do if I was doing this with low-voltage birdies or similar. However, I'm having a hell of a time even locating individual LEDs for purchase. I haven't found anything at my local stores, and even McMaster-Carr seems to be failing me. What I really want is tiny individual LEDs with leads that I can wire together, but I can only find pre-built items containing LEDs. Is this normal, and it's not actually possible to buy just the LED itself? Am I thinking about this too much like a conventional wiring project? Also, for those of you who have done this before, what kind of voltage/wattage combination would get me light that's the right intensity for my purposes?

While this does have an end result, I'm also looking to try to learn more about this with this project, so feel free to provide auxiliary information if relevant. Thanks!!

Ok, let's get started: I will try and go through this as best I can, but I am sure there will be many others adding to or correcting me.

LEDs must be driven from DC, and be current limited. Now how you take the AC from a dimmer or wall circuit to use in an LED can be accomplished in several ways. If it from a constant power source and does not need to dim in a smooth manner, then you can use a stepdown tranformer and a halfwave bridge, of one diode or a full wave bridge from four diodes. This same thing can be accomplished with a "Wallwart supply" or a regulated loptop supply. The current limiting is accomplished with a resistor of the appropriate value.
Single color LEDs have two leads. The anode and the Cathode. These are terms meaning positive and negative and leftover from the old tube era. (you know those glass thingies that proceed solid state electronics.) Most all LEDs are manufactured with a small collar at the bottom. One side of this collar will have a flat spot. this is on the same side with the negative or cathode lead. The positive or anode lead will be longer than the cathode. Of course once you cut the leads, you will have to depend on the cathode marker on the collar.
LEDs have a forward voltage and current. This can differ from manufacture to manufacture and also from color to color. Having said that, most all LEDs except white and blue will have a forward current of 20 miliamps and a forward voltage of 1.6 to 2 volts. So for our first experiment, let us take a 9 volt battery and power one green LED. We know that the battery will have 9 volts, and we want to use two volts of that to power the LED. We need to get rid of the other 7 volts. We do this across the current limiting resistor. So we want to drop 7 volts at 20 mils accross the resistor. So using Ohms law, we divide the 7 volts by the .020 amps and get 350. Resistors come in all kinds of values if you buy 1% resistors. When you purchase 5% or 10% resistors, your choices are limited to fewer values. In the 5% values which are available at Radio Shack, there is no 350 Ohm resistor. There are 330s and 470s. If we use the 470, the LED will be less bright but will last much longer. If we use the 330 the LED will be brighter, but will exceed it's published spec and will become less bright over time. When it comes to the brightness of LEDs, the difference that will occur by a slight change in resistor values is hardly noticeable. So use the 470 resistor. You could easily put the resistor and LED in a 9 volt battery connector and seal with hot glue. This can now make a pretty good marker for escape stairs. Just gafftape it to the side of one of the steps.

LEDs can be ganged into muliple units either in series of parallel. They both have their advantages. I built an LED star curtain with a little over 200 White LEDS. They were the first of the inexpensive White LEDs and really didn't have a consistent color temperature, but when it comes to stars, this is a good advantage. The PWM dimmer (discussed later) could handle a maximum of 32 volts. As 24 volt power supplies are easy to come by, I chose to make each string a series of LEDs of 24 volts. These White LEDs had a forward voltage of 3 volts and a forward current of 30 mils. If I put my LEDs in series, the current through the string stays the same at 30 mils. This means that I can use a much smaller power supply. At 3 volts each, I could theoretically put 8 LEDs in series and use up the entire 24 volts. This would be a disaster as there would be no current limiting and there would be either a bright flash or a series of small firecrackers. Therefore, we will limit each string to 7 LEDs and a current limiting resistor. In my case, I used a four channel PWM dimmer and wanted the stars to be scattered around to make full advantage of the 4 channels. Because of this, not all strings were 7 LEDs. There were also six, five and four LED strings. With each string, there had to be and appropriate current limiting resistor. Using 5% resistors it worked out to 100 ohm for 7 LEDs, 220 ohm for 6 LEDs, 330 ohm for 5 LEDs and 470 ohm for 4 LEDs. These values were nearest to required and made some of the LEDs slightlly brighter than others, but this is desirable in a star field.

Now LEDs dim properly by changing the amount of current they draw and keep the voltage constant. Therefore if you want smooth dimming, you need to use Pulse Width Modulation circuitry. There are several companies that sell such devices, and they can range from fully packaged to circuit boards and from very expensive to quite affordable. They also come in 0-10 contol or DMX. After many devices built and a lot of searching, the best bargain is Northlight DMX. He has four and eight channel boards, but you will need to package it your self and supply an external DC supply. His manual explains it very well and gives a few examples of hookup. The manual can be downloaded without a purchase.
For LEDs and power supplies to make all of this work, the least expensive are mpja.com and electronic goldmine. There is one other that I have used a few times. I believe it is called all electronics. If you want the high quality stuff, there is mouser and digikey.

LEDs brightness is measured in MCDs, which I think stands for millicandles, or milicandelar. Not important which. The higher the number the brighter. For stage markers, you really don"t want bright LEDs. Most LEDs are now made for maximum brightness, but at mpja.com they have some real cheapies that are quite dim. When I purchased them, they were $2 for 100.
LEDs come in several shapes and sizes, but the most popular are round and come in 3mm, 5mm and 10mm. The 5mm is by far the most popular. I have some that are 1mm, but you better be really good at soldering and have some strong magnification to work with those.

Well I am tired of rambling and need to go apply 19,000 watts to a "Full Monty" sign. I hope this has been helplful. Further questions can be addressed to [email protected] But it will be close to a week before I can give any kind of lengthy answer.

Tom Johnson
Florida's Most Honored Community Theatre

You might want to consider prepackaged LEDs with the resistor built in.. for example:
Bolt Beam Bulb Specifications
Something like this is easy to mount, easy to wire (12volts, all units in parallel), and easy to dim (by using an adjustable power supply). You'll need to do some testing to see what voltage gives you the result you're looking for (I'm guessing these are pretty bright at 12V.. so you may end up closer to 6V). It could turn out that different colors will dim differently, in other words, a blue one might not be visible at 6V, whereas a red one is just right. You'll have to see.. my guess is that you'd be able to make this work ok.

You might also consider some of the LED stage markers from toolsforstagecraft.com: LED STAGEMARKERS

This of course is not to discourage you from trying to build a rig yourself, merely a time and sweat saving solution.

EXCELLENT post Dramatech !

Could that post be made into a collab article? It seems like it would be helpful to refer to down the road.

I wholeheartedly agree! I was surprised we didn't have anything like this already in the wiki/collabs, and I think this would be a fantastic addition. Thanks so much for the detailed and well-articulated post, dramatech!!! That really helps a lot.

I just have one question, and someone else might be able to answer it as well.

At 3 volts each, I could theoretically put 8 LEDs in series and use up the entire 24 volts. This would be a disaster as there would be no current limiting and there would be either a bright flash or a series of small firecrackers. Therefore, we will limit each string to 7 LEDs and a current limiting resistor.

I don't totally understand this part. Current is drawn by the load/resistor (in this case, the LEDs), not supplied, right? I understand needing to keep the voltage close to the rated voltage, but isn't current only drawn as needed by the individual loads? I can power a 75W light bulb off of a 20A circuit, then plug a 750W lamp into the same circuit without needing to limit the current - why do I here? What am I missing?

Thanks so much!!

Welcome to the fun world of non linear electronics...

Whereas a filament lamp has a vaguely linear resistance characteristic, a semiconductor does not.
Basically the LED will drop Vfwd at whatever current you force through it. The more current the brighter (and hotter) it gets. It does not have an inbuilt way of limiting that current apart from overheating and burning out. So you need to provide that current limiting external to the LED a la the resistor...

Welcome to the fun world of non linear electronics...

Whereas a filament lamp has a vaguely linear resistance characteristic, a semiconductor does not.
Basically the LED will drop Vfwd at whatever current you force through it. The more current the brighter (and hotter) it gets. It does not have an inbuilt way of limiting that current apart from overheating and burning out. So you need to provide that current limiting external to the LED a la the resistor...

well said, and thank you for clearing that up.
Back a number of years ago, when LEDs were just in their infancy, I was asked to make marker lights out of LEDs and 9volt batteries. The batteries were used from wireless microphones, and had about 7 volts left in them. We had a theatre that did an automated 3D show 20 times a day. They called it 4D, because it rained on the audience plus a few other effects. One of the effects was confetti cannons at the finale. To reload the cannons, required a tech to crawl around some very scary catwalks. The markers were for identification of some of the corners and obstacles.
While I was soldering the leads and resistors, to make up these marker lights, one of the other techs in the shop asked me what would happen if I didn't put a current limiting resistor in series with the LED. So we tried it with the LED direct to the battery leads. The LED exploded like a small firecracker. It scared the C--p out of me.
I have since tried it with other LEDs and only got a burn out flash. I would suppose that it has to do with the size or manufacture of the LED. Now that I have described the effect, you don't need to try it yourself.

Now that I have your attention, let me tell you about another LED project that I made. For about 4 years, I travelled with ice skating shows during the winter season. My job was to build the ice skating rink on theatre stages. Most of my shows were for "The Saint Petersburg Ballet on Ice", a reperatory group that performed only classical ballet.
As the builder of the rink, I was expected to install marker lights for the skaters to indentify their place on the ice, and to indicate safe exits from the rink. The ice rink company already had a system, but it required splicing in small incandescent lamps, at each neaded location, during the installation at each venue.
Thus, it came time for me to make it better. ( I always have to make something better, as I am an INTJ on the meyers Briggs scale). MY approach was to make it modular.
If you are familiar with the female clip on ac plugs, that is what I used for a housing for each marker. I drilled a 5 mm hole right between where the edison blades would plug in. I then cut the leads of an LED very short and soldered a small glass switching diode to one lead and the appropriate value resistor to the other lead. I cut the leads of the resistor and diode very short. I then inserted the LED in from the rear side of the connector and pushed the diode to one of the copper pins, and the resistor to the other copper pin in the ac connecto,r and soldered both.
The connectors are intended to have a piece of 18 guage zipcord enter from one side and terminate. Using a razor knife, I cut out the other side so that the zipcord could exit and continue for more markers to be mounted on it. I would also drill a small hole through the side of the connector so that I could screw it to the edge of the rink with a sheetrock screw.
I then used a 12 volt transformer with a 2 pin connector on the secondary, to connect to a 50 foot piece of zip cord, and another 50 piece with an end that used the same connector, modified so the cord came out of it.
Once the rink was assembled and we were spraying it, I would place the tranformer at one corner and run the zipcord across the front and down the far side. The second piece of zip cord, I would clip to the first at the corner and run it down the near side and across the back. Now I would clip my markers on to the zipcord where needed, and screw them to the edge of the rink.
With the Russians, I would use Red on the two down stage corners, a red and yellow side by side at the center and yellow at both quarter marks. On the sides, I would put green at the downstage edge of each safe exit point. The rear of the rink was identified by blue in each corner and center. When not in use, I stored the entire thing in a small plastic toolbox.
American and Canadian shows would be a bit different, with more position markers and less exit markers.

The system worked on the principle of using the diode in the marker so that polarity of how you connected to low ac voltage zip cord didn't make any differance. The diode served as a half wave rectifier and then powered the LED with the correct polarity. The resistor of course served as a current limiter, and was selected so that the LEDs were bright enough to be seen by the performers but not distracting to the audience.
When using the single diode as a half wave rectifier, the 12 volts AC is multiplied by 0.707 to determine the voltage that is used to calculate the value of the current limiting resistor, and then greater resistance for dimmer illumination.
I haven't done this for some time, so I don't think that I have any markers sitting around to photograph.
While this is a good system for when a show is in for several days, for the one nighters, It is probably more efficient to just use LEDs mounted in 9 volt battery connectors.

Well, another case of my rambling on. I have got to go finish up the final touches on "The Full Monty", as we prieview tonight.

Tom Johnson

An easy way to think about current "loading" with LEDs as a load, is that they're like open circuits at voltages below their Vf (forward voltage threshold), and like short circuits at voltages above their Vf. So if you have a LED with a 3V Vf hooked directly to a variable lab supply (no current limiting resistor) if you slowly turn the voltage up starting at zero, the LED will draw minimal current (milliamps) until you approach the Vf point. As you get to the Vf point, and continue to turn the lab supply up, the LED will do its best to hold it's Vf constant (a lot like how a short circuit will hold its voltage to zero when you put a voltage on it). That's why when you continue to turn the voltage up (past the Vf), the current will keep climbing until you exceed the current & wattage ratings, and destroy the LED.

Of course you could always adjust the lab supply to find the exact voltage where the LED is drawing it's rated current, and all is fine, but obviously that's not practical in a real application. That's where the resistor comes in.. it drops the difference between the fixed available DC power supply (Vdc), and the Vf that the LED wants to hold... and you use the equation LEDcurrent=(Vdc-Vf)/ResistorValue to set the LED current.

It's the LED trying to hold it's Vf that causes the weirdness. Another complication is that if you have 5 of the same LEDs, they will likely all have slightly different Vf thresholds (like 3.00V, 3.05V, 3.20V, 2.95V, 3.03V). This means that you can't put them all in parallel because the one with the lowest Vf (2.95V) will try and maintain the 2.95V, and the one that wants 3.20V won't get it. This is why series LED strings are nice, the Vf's don't compete with each other, they simply add together making a new single Vf which is the numeric sum of the individual Vf's... and then you again use the above equation to figure the resistor value for the string.

The system worked on the principle of using the diode in the marker so that polarity of how you connected to low ac voltage zip cord didn't make any differance. The diode served as a half wave rectifier and then powered the LED with the correct polarity. The resistor of course served as a current limiter, and was selected so that the LEDs were bright enough to be seen by the performers but not distracting to the audience.

I hate to disappoint, but the diode in this is redundant. If we expand the acronym LED we get Light Emitting Diode.
ie. the LED only conducts (and illuminates) in one current direction, in the other it does nothing.
You can quite easily connect an LED with current limiting R to an AC supply.
Indeed you could build a bridge rectifier using LEDs (using a current limiting R as the "load")...

Where this might actually be useful is if we go back to that string of 7 LEDs and a current limiting resistor.
If you have a series chain of 7 in one direction and a second series chain in the other direction and connect that via a common R to an AC supply, you effectively get double the bang for buck.
When using a half wave rectifier you are only using half the waveform. Putting 2 back to back means you use the complete waveform...

Clear as mud?

I hate to disappoint, but the diode in this is redundant. If we expand the acronym LED we get Light Emitting Diode.
ie. the LED only conducts (and illuminates) in one current direction, in the other it does nothing.
You can quite easily connect an LED with current limiting R to an AC supply.
Indeed you could build a bridge rectifier using LEDs (using a current limiting R as the "load")...

Where this might actually be useful is if we go back to that string of 7 LEDs and a current limiting resistor.
If you have a series chain of 7 in one direction and a second series chain in the other direction and connect that via a common R to an AC supply, you effectively get double the bang for buck.
When using a half wave rectifier you are only using half the waveform. Putting 2 back to back means you use the complete waveform...

Clear as mud?

Oh so true, and should have been obvious when I first built the marker lights for the ice skating rinks. I am a "Tinkerer" and I am self taught in electronics. My level of understanding at that time was that I needed to change the AC to DC in order for the LED to work.
I since have repaired some LED aisle lights made of four LEDs. They were connected just as you mentioned with two in one direction and the other two in the opposite direction. At first I kept looking for some sort of rectifier, when the light went on in my brain, that the LED was it's own rectifier. By putting the LEDs in opposite polarities, they only needed one current limiting resistor.
Keep all of the good info coming, we may yet educate many on a subject that can provide some really neat effects for the theatre, and fun to build.

Tom Johnson

A better choice would be to use a constant-current source rather than a series resistor. The voltage drop on LEDs can vary a bit, both from one to the other and due to temperature. I would use either one from the CL2N family from Supertex or make one from an LM317 regulator and a resistor.
/mike

Some interesting projects that I have built for use in the theatre:

1) A tombstone flown in at the finale of "Chicago". I had 120 white LEDs that came on sequentially controlled by a 0-10 analog output from the lighting console, and spelled out the names of "Thelma and Roxie", as they machine gunned the target. With back lighting, it appeared as bullet holes. Because I did some miscalculations on the current required, I had to add about 100 transistors to the already 100 opamps. All in all it took a little over 1600 solder joints.

2) "Rumpus cats eyes" in Cats. I use clear safety glasses and mounted 108 bright red LEDs in 16 vertical rows. There were 8 rows on each side of the nose. The rows varied from 7 to 4 LEDs, depending on where they were on the glasses. They ran in a very high speed chase of 7 on 1 off. All of the circuitry was placed in between the LEDs, with a small cable running on the end of one of the bows to a battery pack, placed at the back of the neck. The whole arrangement was sealed with black silicone and a thin black foam liner was covering it all. This was to prevent the brightness of the LEDs from distracting the eyes of the dancer. Between the 37 performances we did and the times that we rented it out with costumes, it was used about 250 performances.

3) Mr Mistopheles (spelling?) jacket in the finale of Cats. I used 160 bright yellow LEDs, in 5 circuits that chased 1 on 4 off. It was great until one of the theatres renting it from us, washed it in a washing machine. We made a second one and improved upon the first.

4) Electra's costume in "Gypsy". It had 120 bright yellow LEDs that covered the boobs and butt. They were on 8 circuits that flashed on and off at random cycles. A number of bright Green LEDs that were in horizontal rows making up an arrow that ran down over the abs and pinted at the groin. Over the groin there was a Bright red spiral of 30 LEDs that sequentially built, and then off and repeated. The whole thing was conrtrolled through the light console, with DMX to analog triggering a 4 channel garage door transmitter. The receiver was in the costume along with batteries and the circuit boards. This was quite a task as the costume was a Bikini with a front panel joining the top and the bottom. The performer was not allowed to sit down once she was dressed. All of the wiring and LEDs were sealed with hot glue and silicone sealant.

5) A staff with an Orb on the top. The orb had 32 white LEDs running on 8 random flashing circuits. It was built originally for the Lion, Witch and the wardrobe, but was also used in Camelot, Into the woods and several other shows. It gets loaned out most all of the time.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I love working with LEDs. Not so much the "wow look at what I did", but the joy of being in the back of the house and hearing a gasp or round of applause from the audience.

Tom Johnson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back