Control/Dimming Worklights Issue

chausman

Chase
Fight Leukemia
I am currently in rehearsal for a show in a space that has Paradigm for houselights and I'm assuming work lights. They are mercury vapor lights on the electrics and flourensent above the stage and catwalks. Today, at the end of dress rehearsal, the stage manager tried to turn on the work lights and when she did (by pushing the little green lighted square buttons on the sm's panel) nothing happened, but I guess she walked away. When I tried from the booth (the booth and the sm panel have work lights control) nothing happened again. When I asked the guy wh worked there, he could figure it out either. We had no worklights or non-dims responding. We know the board didn't have control of them, because it can't control them and non of the normal tricks we had wo worked. Everything was just dead. Does anyne here have any ideals?

Lots of ideas, but nothing that will be productive without some more information. Depending on the size and complexity of the install, the system might be doing exactly what it's supposed to do according to the programming; it could also be a bug in the software. Though the problem may be resolved by reloading the config, the cause may be more fundamental to the programming in which case the installer and/or someone at ETC may have to open up the config in Light Designer to see where there might be any issues.

It's probably best if the guy who works there makes a phone call to ETC's tech support line at 1.800.444.8825.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the system is doing exactly what it's programmed to do; at my theatre I have our Legacy Unison system setup such that there are three buttons in the theatre that, when pressed, lockout house light controls on a dozen other button stations around the theatre. When the lockout is enabled, anyone can press all of the buttons for house lighting control that they want and the green LED's in the buttons will just blink at them without making any changes to the house lighting levels.

There are some people at my theatre who know how it works, but most do not. It's a much better that way. A handful of people can turn on anything in the rep plot or concert shell lighting, but first there's a hidden button you have to press to allow the fader stations to do that. Now when Mr. Hot-Shot-Band-Director walks in and wants to turn on every light in the theatre for his rehearsal, all he has access to turn on are house lights, work lights, and concert shell lights for 60 minutes (at 55min, they blink once as a 5-min warning, and at 58-min they blink twice as a 2-min warning -- @ 60 min if he hasn't hit the "Shell Rehearsal" button again to buy himself another hour, all the lights turn off).

That was a little trick I had to implement after our music directors kept turning everything on and leaving it on all day -- now they can only turn on exactly what they need and it automatically shuts off when they're done. But again -- the success of that depends on keeping them unaware of the hidden button that gives the fader stations full control of the theatre.

So...uhhhh...like I was saying before I derailed myself, Unison can be really simple and straightforward, or it can be really complex -- the only way to know for certain what's going on with that system is for someone to hop on the phone with ETC. It could be a bug, but could also be deliberately programmed the way that it is.

So, what we found out, was the DMX had a little hiccup and the relays processor froze up. Nothing to major.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back