Worries about a new system proposal for our high school.

Hub Electric Company also made "modern" (for the 1970s anyway) SCR analog dimmers. It's possible that with a DMX-to-analog converter the dimmers could listen to DMX512.
Is the Element currently controlling the HUB dimmers? How?

As others have said, I'd hate to see the existing infrastructure (150 circuits) go to waste, provided it is electrically sound. Perhaps the most prudent approach would be to remove the dimmer rack and patch panel, and replace with a DPC modern dimmer rack with swappable modules to allow for LED "hot power" circuits. If it's time for a complete renovation including pulling new wire, it's probably best to install all hot circuits with single Bak-Pak or SourceFour dimmer s for the existing conventionals. And also, as said above, a data distribution system, be that DMX and opto-isolator s, or a lighting network and node s.

Sounds like the "consultant" is proposing an ill-fated "band-aid" solution.
You besmirch the term "consultant" or confuse it with "salesman". ;)

Question to posters, what is your guess to what the price on the op's bom is? Maybe as little as $15,000 and maybe as much as $75,000?

FWIW, I probably can't consider consulting in that scope of work for less than $3000-5000, most of that in a trip to site to assess and learn. How does this place get good advice! The lower the funds available, the greater the need for help IMHO. Tough problem.

You besmirch the term "consultant" or confuse it with "salesman".
Both, actually. And I do apologise if you were offended. ((In politician's terms... if YOU (clearly your fault) were offended by something I (intending absolutely no harm) said, I'll apologize anyway even though I did nothing wrong.))

Hey, at least I'm coming around to seeing the value of your approach of putting in all non-dim/switched circuits and using a smattering of single, at-the-fixture dimmers for the conventionals. That's a huge step for me.:angryoldman:

FWIW, I probably can't consider consulting in that scope of work for less than $3000-5000, most of that in a trip to site to assess and learn. How does this place get good advice! The lower the funds available, the greater the need for help IMHO. Tough problem.
1. They don't get good advice, they get sales proposals, as you've noted. But sometimes/often/rarely a friendly, local dealer or even (gasp) a manufacturer's rep., will have intentions other than solely the profit margin/making the sale.
2. There's this little forum, ControlBooth.com, you may have heard of it, where anyone can ask any question and get some useful and some not-so-useful answers.

Ok, so what system do you actually have in place now? Pictures would be helpful. When this thread started we all went straight to resistive dimmers... we are now sitting in a world with dimmers on a converter hooked up to an Element. Those are two very different things. How many fixtures are in your inventory? How many dimmers do you have? What are those dimmer rated at? Once again... pictures help.

Sounds to me like it might be an energy consultant, not a theatrical vendor. A vendor would want to sell a lot of stuff. Energy guys come in and only make money when they save district a lot of money energy costs, sometimes connected to the actual savings. In this case it seems like he may have put fixtures in at a cost level that the district will be able to pay off in one year of energy savings, and hopes to take in commission based on the sale, and energy savings in future years. It is essentially free for a district to hire these guys, and they end up saving a bunch of $ after doing it.

Our energy consultant refuses to do stage lighting, but has considered our house lights. He makes a bundle every 5-8 years replacing classroom fixtures, and the district save a lot of money. He recognizes that to do stage lighting correctly, there is a lot more required than basic lights to cover an area, so he doesn't think the savings is worth it in a short enough time frame to make it worth doing for his pocket. In addition, on stage, you don't use all the lights all the time, so energy savings is mitigated by the actual use of each fixture if purchased based on energy savings price.

Based purely on this hunch (- I may be completely wrong here) it sounds like your guy has found a huge space, that can be lit with very few expensive lights, where he feels he can make a lot of $ from the energy savings from the old system. If this is the case, they will disable/remove the old system entirely, rendering it impossible to use traditional fixtures because their use of energy will dramatically cut his bottom line, and the energy savings incurred by the district.

Since it looks like the OP is a student, he will have very little influence on this process, but maybe getting information in the hands of the right people can change the process before it gets too far - Energy contracts are for many years, and once in, you are not getting out without a buyout cost (again, making assumptions).

Sorry for the extreme delay on my response. This is current switch board. I all get photos of everything when I'm back in Monday we have been off of school for the past week. Thank you for your time and help. If you would like I can try to get a copy of the proposal that's currently in place.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

As fair as my influence over this I'm not 100% sure. I have connections with administration all they way to the super intendant as I have run a few events for them. So I would imagine I have some, Or at lest I could share what I have learned here, and what I know from working around and doing research.

Time to open a fresh can of worms and a rose by any other name......yada...yada.
A very good argument could be made that that IS a switch board, it switches a load to a dimmer. I am looking forward to the pictures for the rest of the system.

Time to open a fresh can of worms and a rose by any other name......yada...yada.
A very good argument could be made that that IS a switch board, it switches a load to a dimmer. I am looking forward to the pictures for the rest of the system.

Not to mention the name plate that says "THEATER SWITCHBOARD".

Here is the rest of the system.
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
The black box with the thicker wire on the left side of the picture above from my understanding allowes the new equipment to "talk" to the old equipment.

This is not a new thread, but nobody commented on the pictures.

I see only 37 dimmers. The patch panel gives them access to all the circuits as needed.

It also looks like a boatload of non-dim circuits already exist.

ETC Element is already in place, so it would seem DMX is already in use with the old system.

This is not a new thread, but nobody commented on the pictures.

I see only 37 dimmers. The patch panel gives them access to all the circuits as needed.

It also looks like a boatload of non-dim circuits already exist.

ETC Element is already in place, so it would seem DMX is already in use with the old system.

Except the patch panel is probably the weakest link in my experience with slider patches and it would be less expensive to replace with dinner per circuit than find someone to build a new patch panel, while preserving outdated technology adding labor and kerping points of failure.

Replacing the dimmers or the patch panel would likely mean bringing the wiring up to code. If they have shared neutrals or even just undersized wire the whole thing gets expensive. If they go with dim/cir then they could use smaller dimmers. The goal would be dimmer per fixture!

@Andrew738 has anything happened?

Depending on the condition of the wiring, of which I know nothing, it maybe be should be brought up to code anyways, doing anything else or not. Usually, having replaced several patch panel systems with a dimmer per circuit, it's not been an issue to intercept the branch circuits just before or above the patch panel and connect to dimmer rack. Usual is to replace patch panel face with a blank metal panel and use the insides as a big junction box.

Depending on the condition of the wiring, of which I know nothing, it maybe be should be brought up to code anyways, doing anything else or not. Usually, having replaced several patch panel systems with a dimmer per circuit, it's not been an issue to intercept the branch circuits just before or above the patch panel and connect to dimmer rack. Usual is to replace patch panel face with a blank metal panel and use the insides as a big junction box.
Bill, this is what we did here when we upgraded from DPC 1982 CD80's dimmers. We have a 48x48x12, maybe bigger, junction box where the old rack was*, feeding into the new Sensor racks upstairs. I know the neutrals were shared in the CD80, I don't know how they resolved this.
In your case, the junctions would be at the patch bay to allow conversion to DPC.
*the junction box has a few rows of DIN rail terminals that keep everything neat, no wire nuts to be seen.

Tl;DR - it is possible, and ideal, to keep the wiring you have and make it better. It just takes some work.

Hub actually continued building dimmers up into the late 80's or 90's. As I mentioned in another thread, we have 18 of the 3.6kw modules in use in our house light system. The modules look very well built and they have been in 24/7 use since the install in 1989. The only odd things is the control voltage, which appears to be 0-24 as compared to the old analog standard of 0-10. Assuming they are what you have, getting a DMX to analog interface and keeping the dimmers would be my suggestion.
View attachment 11817
0-24vdc was common in Ward Lenard and early Skirpan dimmers Some of the Major dimmers (LiteCon in Canada) SHD dimmers were 0-48 vdc also it was not uncommon to find a negative control voltage with a positive ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Back