Would like to have monitor speakers in/near the dressing rooms.

JLNorthGA

Two potential ways to go.
One way is to get something that will pick up the signal from our hearing impaired system which is transmitting at 72.9 MHZ. We do have signal down in the basement, so that is not a problem. Question is - is there an inexpensive way to do it this way?

Another way is to take the feed for our hearing impaired system and put a "wye" in it. Run signal cable downstairs and put in a powered speaker. Also quite doable and relatively inexpensive. If we do it this way, would a 30 W speaker be adequate? I was thinking about putting it out in the hallway near the dressing rooms.

Did this for the musical to get monitors in the choir room. I used one of the assisted listening receivers and went out of the headphone jack into a line input on the board. Worked great.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

I'd use an extra assisted listening receiver, or if you don't have extra, pick a cheap one up from eBay for $40. I'd buy an extra one anyways so I could wire an AC supply into it and never worry about forgetting to check/change its batteries before the show.

I'm an advocate of avoiding wireless when wired is a viable option. And not knowing your layout, if you have multiple Dressing Rooms you may want to consider if a single speaker would really work or if you might want to expand the system in the future.

One possibility would be to look for an inexpensive used 70V amp (Bogen, University, Atlas, TOA, etc.) and some used 70V speakers and volume controls. You could locate the amp upstairs and run its output downstairs. This would require running cable and installing the speakers but it could also allow the option of putting speakers with volume controls in multiple individual rooms and would not require any power at the speakers.

If you have an existing production communications or intercom system in the Dressing Rooms then another option to see if that system supports a program audio input. This is probably the most limiting option but perhaps also the easiest and cheapest if it is viable.

The there is wireless. There are many schools and other groups that do exactly what you noted and use the ALS system with receivers feeding powered speakers (some companies even sell powered speakers with an integrated receiver for portable classroom use). You would need a receiver and powered speaker at each location. And since you need power for a powered speaker then a 'battery eliminator' may address the receiver power. If you use wireless and 'mix and match' transmitter and receiver manufacturers then be aware that while there are standard ALS operating frequencies, not all manufacturers follow them and not all devices operate on all frequencies. So if you use a Brand X transmitter and Brand Y receiver you may have to find a common frequency and then set all of your existing devices for that frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back