Wrench Leash

JWilsonLX

Just wondering what everyone around here uses as a wrench leash. I've tried a handful of things, but I've almost always had one complaint or another. Just tieline tends to get caught under my feet when I kneel. $20 for one of these seems a bit much and the constant tug seems like it would be annoying. I'm trying one of these right now, but I'm always afraid the weight of my wrench will break the spring, and it's only got a belt clip, so it could conceivably come off the belt at any time. What do you guys use?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a homemade wrist leash. Less than a buck with shock cord and plastic thingy from the local outfitters store.

IMG00669-20110328-1543.jpg

Some telephone handset cable, shrink tubing, and a biner or snap link. You can make 3 for about $10. Stretch the cable out so that the piece is slightly longer than your arm's reach clipped to the opposite side of your body. I tie a knot and cover it with the heatshrink tubing to make it look nicer and keep the knot.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I use this one (Squids 3100 Tool Lanyard, Standard, Black). It is durable enough and it is way better then using tie line which is what I used to do but it is not quite as stretchy as I would like. When I am wearing a fall restrain harness I can clip to that which work great but clipping it to my belt is just a hair shorter then I would like it to be. I have worked at a venue that had the Setwear ones and they are awesome. Next time I will either get one of those or make one from phone cord.

Great thread! I've needed to buy a wrench leash for some time now, just never have come across one that I like.

$20 for one of these seems a bit much and the constant tug seems like it would be annoying.

I like this, but not so much the wrist band idea. I would want the carabiner attached to my belt loop or something and I'm not sure if that leash is long enough. Anyone use this or see where it says how long the leash is? One of my problems is that I run out of pocket space. I like to keep my phone, wallet, knife, and keys (bulky) in my pockets at all times. This doesn't leave much room for a wrench. I would love to find a wrench leash with a holster to go on my belt along with the multitool and flashlight that I currently keep there.

I use this one (Squids 3100 Tool Lanyard, Standard, Black). It is durable enough and it is way better then using tie line which is what I used to do but it is not quite as stretchy as I would like. When I am wearing a fall restrain harness I can clip to that which work great but clipping it to my belt is just a hair shorter then I would like it to be. I have worked at a venue that had the Setwear ones and they are awesome. Next time I will either get one of those or make one from phone cord.
Did you know they have a longer version: 42" - 54"? I just bought these, one for my speed wrench and one for my crescent. I haven't used them long enough to make an informed decision, yet. I hope I like them. :)

-Tim

Did you know they have a longer version: 42" - 54"? I just bought these, one for my speed wrench and one for my crescent. I haven't used them long enough to make an informed decision, yet. I hope I like them. :)

-Tim

That's the other thing I'm looking for, is a good way to use multiple tools with only one leash. Right now, I just clip whichever one I'm not using to my belt, but then it tends to bounce around awkwardly(especially the ratcheting UFT).

I bought a bunch of tool leashes from Grainger, they were like $15 each. They have a bunch of different choices if you search "tool lanyard." People seem happy with the ones that I got, they aren't super long and they have some elasticity to them. Pretty nice.
proxy.php

I use the Belt Clip Lanyard from Tools For Stagecraft (ELECTRICIAN SPECIFIC HANDTOOLS). While it is a little pricey at $20, I got my first one over four years ago and I still use it every day. I recently did a series of experiments to try to break my original lanyard, and nothing I did could make it break, so I went ahead and bought two more so that all my tools can all be tied off to be at the same time. It's short enough that it usually doesn't get caught on other objects, but I can clip it to a low spot on my belt and it stretches easily to above my head and well beyond my arm's reach.

Was it long enough to clip to your waist and extend to overhead heights?

I'm a taller guy, and haven't had many problems with its reach. At least, not enough to make me find another solution. So, +1 to the Setwear lanyard.

What I have had trouble with is the regular carabiner becoming unclipped while in the air. Since I'm not doing as much freelance work these days, I haven't invested in a self-locking carabiner, but that's definitely next on the list for my tools.

Some telephone handset cable, shrink tubing, and a biner or snap link. You can make 3 for about $10. Stretch the cable out so that the piece is slightly longer than your arm's reach clipped to the opposite side of your body. I tie a knot and cover it with the heatshrink tubing to make it look nicer and keep the knot.

proxy.php

Except we use Nico press sleeves to attach both to the carabiner and the wrench.

I use the setwear one and like it. I've had it for at least three or four years and I use a beaner instead of wristband. I taped the beaner closed on the wrench end so the wrench can't fall off. It can stretch way more than my reach and I never noticed it "tugging" the wrench back. It has held it's original shape and isn't stretched out. Phone cord has a tendency to get stretched out over time.

Except we use Nico press sleeves to attach both to the carabiner and the wrench.
Great idea Duck. I hadn't thought of that and I'll implement that design change soon.

As for the discussion of the cords being too short, this is why the home made phone cord version is superior. It's fitted exactly to my reach.

I use the setwear one and like it. I've had it for at least three or four years and I use a beaner instead of wristband. I taped the beaner closed on the wrench end so the wrench can't fall off. It can stretch way more than my reach and I never noticed it "tugging" the wrench back. It has held it's original shape and isn't stretched out. Phone cord has a tendency to get stretched out over time.

My setwear leash is exactly the same way. it actually came binered to the wrist strap, so i just removed the strap and biner it to my belt. i love it and it has never failed me, even when i clipped to a drill and dropped (safetly with my td watching) from our catwalks, and it hasent failed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back