Wrench Leash

No but its going to look cleaner, and since any knots or bends remove 50% of the strength of the line the less bends and knots you put in the better.

What are doing with your wrench that you need the leash to have that kind of structural integrity? Do you throw it at fixtures from afar to knock them into focus and your wrench returns to you like a boomerang?

What are doing with your wrench that you need the leash to have that kind of structural integrity? Do you throw it at fixtures from afar to knock them into focus and your wrench returns to you like a boomerang?

Good Idea, but no, its more of the safer i can get my working gear to be the better i feel about working above people.

... since any knots or bends remove 50% of the strength of the line ...
Any knots? I don't think so. Clove hitch and bowline have documented efficiencies, and it's not 50%. What's the efficiency of a swage sleeve on unapproved, non-wire "rope"?
WrenchLeash.jpg
The top one is older than DuckJordan. The bottom one I bought a couple of years ago (from Duluth Trading but I think they've discontinued it and I've never used it--it's just two shock cords in a fabric sheath.) I know I have a swaged-phone cord version here somewhere, but can't find it.

Perhaps we can persuade Delbert to do a load lab test on a couple of different methods?

That would be very benificial. I'm not saying ones better than the other just saying what I feel more comfortable with

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Perhaps we can persuade Delbert to do a load lab test on a couple of different methods?

To be perfectly honest, if you were standing on top of a tall ladder and your wrench falls and puts enough force on the phone cord to break it, you're probably headed down right behind it. :twisted:

However, I too would be interested to see the results of this test. With all the attention we put on design factors and properly rated components in the rigging world, it's actually pretty surprising that we feel totally comfortable using a tool 100' over people's heads with only a piece of tie-line to keep it from falling.

Coiled phone cord is actually relatively easy to break. There have been many instances where I have just pulled on it and it ripped apart. I have also experienced this while tying knots in it to attach to a wrench. So, while I was probably putting more force on the cord then a falling wrench would, I think the debate on swage sleeves or knots is moot since odds are that will not be the point of failure. Consider that with phone cord the bulk of the load bearing is probably done by the jacket of the cord, not the four tiny gauge wires inside.

I use a length of phone cord with a quick link swaged to either end. I threw a piece of tie line on the end of the wrench so I can quickly pull it out of my pocket and leave it on my wrist.

The only downside is trying to hand off the wrench to someone.

I ordered 3 leashes from the web site allsafetysupplies.com. I got one leash, one winter ski face mask, and one pair of needle nose pliers! I originally tried to order from Production Advantage but for some reason it wouldn't authorize my credit card (plenty of money and worked elsewhere). Just a word of warning, don't order from these guys. I'm calling them Monday morning and I feel confident they'll make it right, but what a cluster...

I just don't drop wrenches.
:rolleyes:

If I'm on a ladder/scaffolding/lift/ground I like tie line for most, I just bought one of Setwear's and I like it better than the phone cord ones I have made, but not enough to pay $18 each.

For harness work, I have a pair of industrial ones with closed fixed loops at each end. Normally I find these to short but when clipped into a tool/positioning ring they have the perfect amount of reach and I trust them much more than I do tie line I think they are rated at 10-15 lb for working load.

I ordered 3 leashes from the web site allsafetysupplies.com. I got one leash, one winter ski face mask, and one pair of needle nose pliers! I originally tried to order from Production Advantage but for some reason it wouldn't authorize my credit card (plenty of money and worked elsewhere). Just a word of warning, don't order from these guys. I'm calling them Monday morning and I feel confident they'll make it right, but what a cluster...

I take it you are advising against ordering from allsafetysupplies.com not Production Advantage, right?

I also use the phone coil tied and then in my case E-taped to make pretty. My carabiner to attach it to my belt is actually one rated for climbing, so quite a bit overkill for this purpose.

Part of the reason I use a full size carabiner is that I attach it to my BELT. This A. locks the biner firmly in place and B. is significantly safer than attaching to a belt loop that can be ripped out by a falling tool. I can't be the only person to have ripped a belt loop out while pulling up my pants, no? :twisted:

Part of the reason I use a full size carabiner is that I attach it to my BELT. This A. locks the biner firmly in place and B. is significantly safer than attaching to a belt loop that can be ripped out by a falling tool. I can't be the only person to have ripped a belt loop out while pulling up my pants, no?

And if somehow you end up with the wrench attached to something and you hanging in midair, then you have several milliseconds longer to pull yourself back up because the wire will have to break rather than your belt loop.

My leash is a piece of tie line, clothes line and some other nylon rope about the same diameter as the other two braided together, with the ends spliced back through and then zip tied with red/green zip ties (I use red/green to mark my tools). Then I put heat shrink over the tailing ends of the three cords. It's got a $0.99 carabiner at each end, one for the wrench, one for the belt loop.

Overkill? Why yes. What can I say, I was bored. On the other hand, everyone knows which one is my wrench. I just tuck the part that hangs down into my pocket when I'm wandering around so it doesn't snag on stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back