Wybron Autopilot Parts(???)

avkid

Not a New User
Fight Leukemia
I bought an awesome road case that I made into my work box.
It was full of Wybron Autopilot parts that I don't need or even know what their function is.
proxy.php

As I have no idea what this stuff does I'm offering it cheaply.
The whole lot (minus case) $60 US plus shipping.

Because I'm weird like that, it is actually very interesting to me!

Of course, what would shipping be from NY to WA!

No more than $25 I would think.

I'm such a geek...now to find about $25 more

I wouldn't be able to use it anywhere anyway. The only place that I know of that has any kind of moving light uses ETCNet to communicate, so this wouldn't work anyway.

Last edited:
I bought an awesome road case that I made into my work box.
Small world isn't it? Funny isn't it? Small and funny and fine.

I'd bet anything that STEVETERRY used to (indirectly) own your awesome new workbox.:)

If it was the II system I would be all over it. However, I have been told the I system worked only if certain planets aligned. Good project for someone though. If your in a rep house and have time on your hands you could probably get it working.

That's definitely an Autopilot 1 setup. However, it is not complete. Do you have a 3-rack space box that goes with it? Without it, none of the gear will do you any good.

I'll describe what's shown:
Target on stand - placed around stage to setup the system and align the movers
IR Boxes - IR transceivers used to triangulate the position of the person wearing the transmitters.
White Keypad - Input device to the rack unit used to set the stage size, calibrate the system
Cable on bottom left - temperature sensor for the rackmount unit
Tranmitters - looks like there are 3 out of 4 transmitters (unless the 4th is in the black pouch)

If you have the rackmount piece with it, then I'd definitely be interested in it. But without the rackmount, you have a pile of gear.

Here's a link to Autopilot II (the rackmount unit looks very similar)

Wybron, Inc. - Autopilot II

Jon

...Cable on bottom left - temperature sensor for the rackmount unit...
This may be a dumb question (but since that's never stopped me before), Why is the temperature of the rackmount unit important? I have a widget that tells me the temperature of eight different locations inside my MacBook, but I've never cared about any of them.

This may be a dumb question (but since that's never stopped me before), Why is the temperature of the rackmount unit important? I have a widget that tells me the temperature of eight different locations inside my MacBook, but I've never cared about any of them.

I don't know about for the rack mount unit, but as far as the MacBook goes, look how thin the thing is. The MacBooks run about 50° C up to over 90° C sometimes, and don't have a lot of room for air circulation, so they have to stay cool. The components like processors, HDDs, graphics cards, and battery can get too hot, so they shut down. I'm guessing thats what that is for. If it gets to hot, it can ruin or "wear out" some of the components and (obviously) cause problems in how it runs.

Or I could be completely wrong!
(see below)

Last edited:

I'd bet that the sensor is not measuring the temperature of the rackmount unit itself, but rather the rackmount unit uses the sensor to measure the ambient stage temperature and adjust parameters accordingly.

:doh: Yes, it just dawned on me that a system of infrared receivers and transmitters might need to have some sort of temperature reference. Stage lights heating the space and all that. Except:
  1. My TV/VCR/TiVo remotes don't seem to care.
  2. I thought the Autopilot was ultrasonic. I remember a demo where they said the only outside interference they'd ever received was from a crash cymbal. Was that someone else's system?

:doh: Yes, it just dawned on me that a system of infrared receivers and transmitters might need to have some sort of temperature reference. Stage lights heating the space and all that. Except:
  1. My TV/VCR/TiVo remotes don't seem to care.
  2. I thought the Autopilot was ultrasonic. I remember a demo where they said the only outside interference they'd ever received was from a crash cymbal. Was that someone else's system?

Autopilot has always been IR. I think the tracking unit Martin had for a while was ultrasonic, but I don't know for sure.

As far as the temperature setting, yes, it was to calibrate information...not for the rack unit itself. If I remember, it was between 50' and 75' and usually you'd try and get it as close to the "performance area" as possible. Been a LONG time since I've played with the AP I units. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back