Wybron Coloram II Scroller issue?

nic1993

Hi all!
I've got this peculiar issue with my wybron coloram 2 scrolling unit.

What I am trying to do is have the coloram PSU set so I can control the color on the strip inside the scoller with a fader on the lighting console (this is normal right?), then have our normal dimmer pack chained after it.

Anyway, my issues is this:
I assigned my PSU to dimmer 1 and plugged it into my lighting console (an old strand console), plugged in a scroller and everything was recognized well, (the scroller scrolled through all of its colors)
but when i went to control it on the console, after I bring up one fader to max the scroller moves to one color (only when the fader is at 100 does it move), and for only some of the next 12 faders that i bring up it moves to another random position on the gel string.

All I want to do is be able to control my scrollers!! Can anybody help me?

It has been a long time since I have worked with RamIIs, but here are some questions and thoughts. First off, what console are you using?

When you set up RamIIs you need to set the DMX starting address on the PSU and then set each scroller to an address. If I remember correctly, the average Ram PSU could control up to 12 scrollers so each scroller got an address between 1-12 which corresponded to the 12 DMX addresses the PSU is set to. This means that if the PSU is addressed as 1 then the scroller addressed as 1 is DMX address 1. If the PSU were addressed as 23, then scroller address 1 would be DMX address 23.

Then on your console you would have to patch the DMX address of the scrollers to channels. If you are using a 300 or 500 series console then you can patch them as attribute channels which will make them easier to control. You need to make sure that your patch is done without and profiles or as non-dims, his could be the cause of the single move.

Also, just for clarification, you said that you are connecting DMX from your console to the PSU then to your dimmers. This is fine, just make sure that the DMX addresses of your PSU don't overlap your dimmers. Most places have the starting dimmer as 1, so starting your PSU at 1 might overlap your dimmers.

Remember you could take the cable to the PSU first then to the dimmers but still make the dimmers start at one and the scrollers a higher address number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back