XLR Covers/Protection?

cceprod

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the world of audio/intercoms/DMX and I have a bit of a problem. I work at an outdoor theater and we have numerous cables run haphazardly without any sort of protection or covering. Now I came out to do some maintenance and set up the other day only to find that our scenic department (bless their hearts) sprayed the entire stage area black. And I mean the ENTIRE area. They didn't bother to mention it to any other department, so not only did it put me out a few more days but they also destroyed numerous com lines, DMX drops and mic runs by painting on the connectors without covering them.

So now that I have fixed them all, reprimanded the scenic department, and set all my stuff up, I'm wondering if there is a solution you guys can think of to keep XLR ends (3-pin, 5-pin, male and female alike) covered to protect against careless painters and rain and all that fun nonsense. I'm hoping to avoid a half-assed attempt, such as gaff taping them or putting garbage bags over them. Does anyone know of a good solution?

(And before anyone asks, yes, I intend to fix our haphazard line runs nowthat I am in charge. )

I work at an outdoor venue fairly frequently. I waterproof almost all of our cables with 3 different size plastic bags (large plastic bags for large mult, medium plastic bags for small mult, and small plastic bags for XLR/Ethercon/Powercon). We buy the bags by the thousand, and e-tape them to the cable. It's important to keep the bag open or else condensation will build inside and rust out the connector. When the cable is actually connected to something and I need to waterproof the connection I use Glad Press 'N' Seal instead of a bag. If a cable has been tied up loose for a few months and I intend to use it, I generally throw a little canned air into the connector before plugging it in to ensure there's no trapped moisture.

Your be best bet would be some sort of connector housing. Off the top of my head a post that a number of connections could be made and then covered by a short capped pvc pipe. Anything that prevents water from flowing into the connection. Do an image search for (drip loop )
proxy.php

So whenever you can elevate the connection above the run, do so.
Let gravity do the work for you.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, the advice is much appreciated.

I agree, we will definitely be pursuing the conduit-outlet style connections as I go forward. The drip loop is a great idea also. In the meantime I suppose I'll have to splurge for the rubber covers or press and seal bags...

Final thing I also do that is moderately cost effective -- when I have many cables at a single location that patch to other things, I throw them in a Pelican case. I have a few dozen tiny Pelican cases (and the Amazon/Monoprice budget equivalents), I pop the purge valves out or drill a larger hole where the purge valve is and that's the cable inlet. There are some ridges on the top of these boxes and I drill a shackle into it, and hang the Pelican's up with safety cable.

I do this When I have a mult splitting out 10 different things and know I'll be changing patch every now and again when Press N Seal is too cumbersome. The box holds the Mult + Breakout. I also do this on all my outdoor intercom just because Clearcom is finicky after a rainstorm and I know I'll be chasing down issues after a heavy rain and don't want to litter a ton of plastic everywhere and then re-do waterproofing.

It's why I save the ends off old cords. If you have a connector dump, where there are in-line connectors to protect, I simply plug one of the old connectors into it. Surface mount connectors are a different story. Either a cover or a cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back