Microphones XLR Volume Control

AdamF1978

Okay, got the brain working again, which is scary... I've been a one man show for 5 years now, running my board 2 feet away for volume control. I'm getting into a band though and no clubs seem to have a soundmen anymore. I use a lot of vocal dynamics along with a compressor 5:1 and 1:6 (any higher then 1:6 I notice tone loss) Going from Journey to Johnny Cash requires somewhere around a 1-3dB increase, so I'm trying to build a foot pedal for xlr volume control.

I want it as a guitar pedal stomp box.(unpowered) I'm gonna start out with a potentiometer to figure out what is the best resistance I'll need. I might either tape it position once set, or just install resistors internally. I'll have it going through the resistors always, but wire the switch to be a closed link to bypass the resistor. I won't have phantom going through this, but I'm wondering what size potentiometer I might need, and which pin, or pins do I need to put the resistance to? I've seen dual pot potentiometers on ebay. I'm running a Shure Beta 57a through it which is 150 ohms output. Also being <5% signal change, should I worry about a popping much through a 5000w PA for hitting a hard switch?

I've seen the in line xlr volume controls for $120 but I think it's way overpriced, and I want to keep the control down on the floor without having to bend over. I even thought of converting a guitar volume pedal to balanced . Any thoughts or suggestions guys? Thank you in advance.

Where in the signal chain do you plan on inserting the volume control and do you really want it affecting any monitor or other pre-fader sends? You also realize that 1-3dB is considered a barely, if at all, perceptible change especially when viewed in the context of a change in one channel of the overall mix. If the venues do not provide anyone or it is not practical for them to address the control of the mix that you want then maybe you should consider a BE.

It's on the board on the channel fader that I'm bumping it from 0 to +2/3 usually for the low songs. (55 Hz being my lowest practical note) In order here's what I got in my vocal chain:

1. Shure Beta 58a
2. TC Helicon Voicelive (foot controlled harmonizer)
3. DBX 1066 Compressor (1st channel vocal: 5:1 1:6, 2nd channel is for guitar)
4. Mackie CFX20

I've tried bumping the expander higher then 5:1 but it seems to generate more hiss since the Voicelive has about a -65 hiss. I'll be putting this resistor on the floor by the mic stand after the mic, but before the harmonizer.

Also,Brad: it's too short(and common of a name) to come up with the right search results. What can I look up to find out what a BE is?

Last edited:
First of all top respect for wanting to build your own box its not everyone does it but for me for the small amount of change your after I'd buy one 120 dollars (about 60 euro here more or less) isnt too steep for something youl just plug in leave it alone and know itl work every night. I do put 1 nights money a month into a ready cash account for things that you find yourself needing now n again.

If you do go the route of making your own,make sure you add a dry out ....as the guy above said you dont want affecting your monitor/fx signal

Last edited:
It's on the board on the channel fader that I'm bumping it from 0 to +2/3 usually for the low songs. (55 Hz being my lowest practical note) In order here's what I got in my vocal chain:

1. Shure Beta 58a
2. TC Helicon Voicelive (foot controlled harmonizer)
3. DBX 1066 Compressor (1st channel vocal: 5:1 1:6, 2nd channel is for guitar)
4. Mackie CFX20

I've tried bumping the expander higher then 5:1 but it seems to generate more hiss since the Voicelive has about a -65 hiss. I'll be putting this resistor on the floor by the mic stand after the mic, but before the harmonizer.
This is exactly why I asked as it seems that currently the level changes involved don't affect the signal to your harmonizer, compressor or any pre-fader monitor sends while if you start changing the level right after the mic then those level changes will affect all of those devices and signals. For example, if you drop the level 3dB right after the mic do you then need to also drop the compressor threshold 3dB and raise any pre-fade aux sends 3dB to compensate?

A small change in microphone level is going to be lessened by the compressor. You might want to consider taking the compressor out and adjust your vocal level by moving a bit closer/further from the mic. Yeah, I know that's too simple, but skilled vocalists have done it that way for a very long time.

Any old guitar pedal won't work as they are designed for very high impedances and are un-balanced. The pad needs to be balanced, or it will add hum by the truck load. I would use a balanced "U" pad, with the variable component being the shunt R2. Here's a schematic some info about the math to calculate what you need.
Uneeda Audio - Build your own attenuator pads

I was surprised to find the following mic controls at pretty reasonable prices.
BlowsMeAway Productions In-Line Volume Control for Vintage Harmonica Microphones

I doubt you could build or modify something for less.

I've been a one man show for 5 years now, running my board 2 feet away for volume control. I'm getting into a band though and no clubs seem to have a soundmen anymore.
Don't know why this didn't stick out to me before but a band would suggest a mix of multiple sources with your mic being just one of those sources. And not only will you likely have multiple inputs to the mix but if you use house systems then every system and venue may vary. What you probably ideally want is a Band Engineer or BE that can work with you to understand your, and all the band members', goals and try to incorporate those goals in any monitor mixes as well as for the overall mix for the audience. They may find that in terms of the overall mix a change in EQ or EQ and level is more effective than just a change in level or that raising your level requires changes to other inputs as well.

The Audix Fireball V has a volume control, and it likely sounds better than the mic you are currently using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back