Zip Cord: Which conductor is which?

Zip Cord: Smooth or Ribbed the Hot Conductor?

• Total voters

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Upon close inspection the two conductors are different--one has ribbed insulation, one smooth. The ribbed is the neutral; and the smooth the hot.

I have learned that the ribbed was hot and smooth is neutral. Is there a standard theatrical convention to follow? I have seen polls on CB where people seem pretty slip 50/50 over a standard practice.

So which is it? And how do we educate everyone to follow our consensus?

Last edited:
I've never actually thought about it because usually when I'm running zip cord it is for a light and it doesn't really matter which is which.

I'm all for having a standard way to do it, but again it's something I've never thought of.

Just did a quick survey of all the clip and desk lights at hand. All are factory wired (molded) with the neutral on the ribbed side.

I've always used the ribbed side as the neutral. The only reason, though, is because that is what the googles said the first time I needed to use zip cord.

Last edited:
One might think that NEC 2011 400.22 and 400.22(F) would be the definitive answer, but somehow there's still room for confusion.

XXXX

I, too, noticed a long time ago that manufactured lights use the smooth as hot and the ribbed or marked with a stripe as neutral.
I follow the same pattern.
I, too, feel it IS IMPORTANT to ONLY SWITCH the Hot conductor. Some manufactured lights bond the neutral and the chassis, so if the conductors are not polarized the fixture body can then be energized.

So you're saying that in an E26 (medium screwbase) socket, it doesn't matter which (hot or neutral) goes to the center contact and which goes to the threads (screw shell)? 2011 NEC 200.10(C).

That has always been my been my understanding. Although I'm open to being wrong about it.

Upon reading 2011 NEC 200.10(C) I would say that it would matter, but with zip cord since there are only two wires which would act as the ground?

Huh? Is hot black or white? Is that the question?

No, he asked if WHITE was Hot or Black.

But I think he meant which color is which.

/snark

I thought the question was asking about when attaching the zip cord to a fixture (like a sconce, for example) that has two cords coming out the back, a white and a black. And, if the poll is to be believed, wouldn't that mean that the ribbed side goes to the white, and the smooth side to the black?

chausman said:
wouldn't that mean that the ribbed side goes to the white, and the smooth side to the black?

Yep.

Extra characters

This all has to do with the evolution of the table lamp!
Back in the 60's, two prong outlets actually had no size variance between the hot and the neutral. Few of these are left. Once the change was made to having the neutral blade larger, the next logical step towards safety was to try to get the neutral routed to the larger surface area of the screw socket. This is when "ribbed" zip cord started showing up. As long as I can remember, the rib has been on the neutral and has been connected to the threaded (easier to contact with finger) part of the lamp socket, and to the larger blade of the two prong plug.

I would suspect if the NEC was a person, the old Edison medium screw base on the table lamp would be the bane of its existence, causing much rage! :)

Talk about something that violates every safety feature you can think of! But there it is, "grandfathered", so to speak. Still, at least we can make it a little safe......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back