Control/Dimming ETC Eos to Cobalt. Crash Course.

TheTheaterGeek

EOS Addict
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I am currently working on a production at Cal Poly Pomona. We have a congo jr w/ cobalt running a mostly conventional rig with 8 S Faders and 2 Right Arms W/ S4-36s + DMX Irises. I have figured out patch and direct selects. I am pretty sure I have the presets idea figured out but I am not 100%.

I currently consider myself a proficient EOS Family programmer. (at least I hope so :p)

I would love anyone's input on what they would suggest I know for this gig.

I would really like to know Cobalt's version of copy to/ move to. And if there is something like magic sheets that I am missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

I am currently working on a production at Cal Poly Pomona. We have a congo jr w/ cobalt running a mostly conventional rig with 8 S Faders and 2 Right Arms W/ S4-36s + DMX Irises. I have figured out patch and direct selects. I am pretty sure I have the presets idea figured out but I am not 100%.

I currently consider myself a proficient EOS Family programmer. (at least I hope so :p)

I would love anyone's input on what they would suggest I know for this gig.

I would really like to know Cobalt's version of copy to/ move to. And if there is something like magic sheets that I am missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

There is something similar to magic sheets, the channel layout tool Browser > Channels > Settings and Tools > Channel Layout. After you build the layout you will see in your live screen an option to switch between channel mode and layout mode. (Click where it says all channels in the top of the window) In EOS speak your Channel Layout becomes a Flexi Mode...

Copy commands are pretty intuitive depending on what you are trying to do, to copy a level select the channel and its <preset#> ON/FETCH to copy a color its <preset#> ON/FETCH & COLOR, to copy everything its ON/FETCH & ATTRIB.

You can also do a lot of this through the organizer if you are doing notes or cleanup.

There is something similar to magic sheets, the channel layout tool Browser > Channels > Settings and Tools > Channel Layout. After you build the layout you will see in your live screen an option to switch between channel mode and layout mode. (Click where it says all channels in the top of the window) In EOS speak your Channel Layout becomes a Flexi Mode...

Copy commands are pretty intuitive depending on what you are trying to do, to copy a level select the channel and its <preset#> ON/FETCH to copy a color its <preset#> ON/FETCH & COLOR, to copy everything its ON/FETCH & ATTRIB.

You can also do a lot of this through the organizer if you are doing notes or cleanup.

Also that big '?' button is your friend... :)

Haha. My best friend's name is Jason Perry hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried making a layout, but can't seem to be able to use it.

We also have video tutorials on the basic functions on our YouTube channel (ETC Video Library - look for the Cobalt play list). Jason described Fetch well, there's also the option to go the other direction - # CHANNEL & RECORD will record intensity from selected channels into the preset # you enter at the beginning of the command, and # RECORD & ATTRIBUTES does the same for device parameters. This would be like a copy to, rather than a move to. If you want to move bits of looks around, I recommend grabbing a mouse and using the Organizer tabs - in these tabs you can drag and drop bits of your show to other locations and choose to copy or move that data to the new location. It also allows renumbering. And yes, if you join the Cobalt forum over on our site as Steve mentioned above, you might get faster answers (mainly because your posts get emailed to experts who have subscribed to the forums.) :) However, I'll keep checking over here as well. Have fun!

I watched the cobalt tutorials on YouTube. They are great, I just wish there were more of them. I have been scouring the help menu on the console itself and that has helped. It's always the protips that help the most though.

Reactions: Ric
Also, I just attended the EOS training in Hollywood. I can't wait until there is a cobalt one.

Snipped
Thanks in Advance.

If you are doing a theater style show, treat the presets like cues and give each a distinct preset #. It will make it easier on the rest of the production team. Reusing Presets is a great feature, but for a North American style theater show, it can confuse things.
I love the Cobalt and am in Cerritos, so if you have questions, we can connect locally as well as on the ETC Cobalt Forum.
jopalmer[a@t]cerritos[d.o.t.]us

Reactions: Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back