New fixture choices

bmcewing

Hello, looking for some advice/opinions pls. I work in a 2200 seat concert hall and we are looking to replace all existing lighting fixtures over the next few years. The new fixtures must be LED to tick the 'green' requirements and we'd rather spend a bit extra for higher quality/reliability. Fixtures for the FOH truss must be movers as we have been banned from climbing to focus. We use a genie to focus stage truss. Stage is 17m wide by 12.6m deep.

Our old strand 530i has died so a new desk is required. We currently have an avo pearl on hire until we decide what to buy. Options are avo sapphire touch, etc cobalt 10 with fader wing or a jands vista L5, all very different desks I know but we wish to explore all options. We mainly have to busk most shows, only actually programme cues a couple of times a year. Will prob get each desk in for a demo.

As for the lights we are replacing 20yr old strand 2k alto fresnels, strand nocturne floods and big ole strand alto profiles. We are thinking 8 robe DLS profiles FOH and 6 Robe 600 LED wash fixtures.

Onstage we are thinking 12 robe 600 LED wash, 12 robe 100 LED beam (a semi par replacement, we can have more fun with these). 6 etc s4 lustr+ Version 2 for various applications and LED cyc fixtures. We currently also have 5 Chauvet rogue R2 spots and 6 visage LED pars. A new DMX/cat5 network will also have to be installed as we currently only have 1 universe.

Sorry for the long winded post but anyone with any hands on knowledge of these fixtures or alternatives, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Cheers!

I think you're pretty well on track with everything... another LED profile to look at might be the SGM G-Profile. It's an 850W LED Engine and has framing shutters for your FOH Lighting requirements. I'm also a big fan of Mac Auras for a wash, especially with the new brighter XB out.
BEye K10 or K20s would also be a cool substitute for the US Effects/Wash light.

From the consoles listed the Avo would be my preference with busking in mind. A desk not on the list that would be worthwhile to look at would be an MA2 Lite of course.

First, see this thread that I started for the movers. We are now looking at the DLS Profiles to purchase. They are exceptional instruments. You cannot go wrong with them. Depending on your budget, the DLX Spot is a slightly cheaper alternative, but I would really do with the DLS if possible. I demo'ed them, and was AMAZED! We also have the Apollo LED Multiform Pars. I like them to some degree, and the price was right, but I am guessing that you can probably get a better instrument these days with the better LED technology.

If you're looking for a good non-profit to donate your old fixtures to... :)
I'm sure you'd change your mind once shipping costs from Scotland to NY were calculated! I'm not sure what's going to happen with them, we have an affiliated theatre that I'd imagine would be quite keen to get them....

I think you're pretty well on track with everything... another LED profile to look at might be the SGM G-Profile. It's an 850W LED Engine and has framing shutters for your FOH Lighting requirements. I'm also a big fan of Mac Auras for a wash, especially with the new brighter XB out.
BEye K10 or K20s would also be a cool substitute for the US Effects/Wash light.

From the consoles listed the Avo would be my preference with busking in mind. A desk not on the list that would be worthwhile to look at would be an MA2 Lite of course.

Thanks for the suggestions, I was just having a look at the Aura XB and they look great, as do the clay paky fixtures. Hard to keep up with the LED fixtures, they are constantly improving. Just have to jump in at some point. The avo is my choice, I've also heard that there is to be a MA dot2 to be unveiled soon? Going to Plasa focus exhibition in Glasgow next week so hopefully get a good look at whats new.

First, see this thread that I started for the movers. We are now looking at the DLS Profiles to purchase. They are exceptional instruments. You cannot go wrong with them. Depending on your budget, the DLX Spot is a slightly cheaper alternative, but I would really do with the DLS if possible. I demo'ed them, and was AMAZED! We also have the Apollo LED Multiform Pars. I like them to some degree, and the price was right, but I am guessing that you can probably get a better instrument these days with the better LED technology.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a read through that thread cheers. We were originally looking at the DLX but would rather push for the DLS sor the shutters, we need these lights to cater for rock n roll, conference, orchestral, ballet etc so shutters would be a nice feature to have. Cheers

Update: we have eventually taken delivery of 8 robe DL4S profiles and 6 Clay Paky b-eye k10 cc. And we are awaiting delivery of a grand ma2 ultra light with fader wing and additional touch screen.

On the limited time I've had with them, the DL4S is very impressive. Bright in every colour with a decent set of gobos and the framing shutters are excellent.

The b-eyes have left me a little underwhelmed, not as bright as I hoped, should have gone for the bigger k20s. Think we will move them to the OH stage truss and put Robe DL4Fs FOH, 6-8 should cover it.

Have been asked to submit the shopping list for the stage truss so if anyone can recommended good LED cyc fixtures......

A 2nd for Aura's or the newer XB. I have 9 Aura's and they are workhorses. Martin reliability as well.

Just installed some Source 4 Series 2 with cyc adapters and was completely impressed. Very even coverage top to bottom.
This could well be the way to go, as they are near silent and adaptable with zoom lenses etc for other applications. I had a demo of the cheaper colorsources (pars and S4) last week and was impressed, although they don't have the advanced 7 colour mixing of the lustr+ 2.0

A 2nd for Aura's or the newer XB. I have 9 Aura's and they are workhorses. Martin reliability as well.
I think I'm going to have to get a selection in for a demo/comparison. I'm also mindful of fan noise given that whatever fixtures we choose will have to be suitable for orchestral, corporate etc along with rock n roll. I certainly wish we'd went with the bigger b eye k20. First gig with the new fixtures tonight so I'll have a better idea after that....

Do you find these fixtures bright enough? I'm needing it to replace 2kw strand fresnels. The strands give out around 410 lumens at 9 meters. I think it might have to be the quantum wash for us. Are the aura's quiet? Whatever we buy must be quiet enough to light an orchestra.

I have my local martin rep visiting next week hopefully with a selection of fixtures.

I'm going to throw in recommendations for the new Robe DL4 series, the DL4S would be a great unit for your FOH stuff, with shutters, great set of gobos, and a nice zoom. DL4X would be a good general purpose spot unit, and DL4F would be good if you need a genuinely fresnel-quality light. I've seen the DL series in person and run them through their paces. They're incredibly fast yet also can pull of theatrical fades of any parameter with ease. They've also got a color presets for calibrated white that are dead on.

For wash, the Robe LEDbeam 1000 would definitely be a fixture to look at. I've seen it in person and it is pretty amazing as far as output, quality of light, and zoom are concerned. It would definitely be a fixture to consider for a venue of your size.

Robe is absolutely rock solid and the engineering they put in to their hardware, software, and everything in between is impressive.

The Aura XB & Quantum Wash are definitely good units to consider, that lens system is time tested. Auras are still some of my favorite units.

I haven't seen it in person, but I've also heard good things about the High End Solaspot 1500 Pro, which has framing shutters but has a mechanical CMY system so more moving parts so more possibility for issues.

If you're looking for more budget units, the Rogue R2 Washes are really impressive for a wash unit. Significantly brighter than the original Aura. Definitely something to get a demo of in your space.

As far as the console goes, I would highly recommend the GrandMA 2 Light as my top recommendation, with my second recommendation being the Martin M6. The Martin software has really come a long way since the Maxxyz It's really impressive.

I'm going to throw in recommendations for the new Robe DL4 series, the DL4S would be a great unit for your FOH stuff, with shutters, great set of gobos, and a nice zoom. DL4X would be a good general purpose spot unit, and DL4F would be good if you need a genuinely fresnel-quality light. I've seen the DL series in person and run them through their paces. They're incredibly fast yet also can pull of theatrical fades of any parameter with ease. They've also got a color presets for calibrated white that are dead on.

For wash, the Robe LEDbeam 1000 would definitely be a fixture to look at. I've seen it in person and it is pretty amazing as far as output, quality of light, and zoom are concerned. It would definitely be a fixture to consider for a venue of your size.

Robe is absolutely rock solid and the engineering they put in to their hardware, software, and everything in between is impressive.

The Aura XB & Quantum Wash are definitely good units to consider, that lens system is time tested. Auras are still some of my favorite units.

I haven't seen it in person, but I've also heard good things about the High End Solaspot 1500 Pro, which has framing shutters but has a mechanical CMY system so more moving parts so more possibility for issues.

If you're looking for more budget units, the Rogue R2 Washes are really impressive for a wash unit. Significantly brighter than the original Aura. Definitely something to get a demo of in your space.

As far as the console goes, I would highly recommend the GrandMA 2 Light as my top recommendation, with my second recommendation being the Martin M6. The Martin software has really come a long way since the Maxxyz It's really impressive.
Thanks for your reply! We already have 8 of the new Robe DL4S fixtures hanging from our FOH truss. Your correct, they are absolutely fantastic fixtures and we are very happy with them. Very quiet also. Our GrandMa2 ultralight with extra touchscreen and fader wing should be arriving before the end of the month.

The Martin rep is visiting a week today to show the quantum and aura fixtures, robe are a bit harder to get hold of as they are busy with PLASA at the moment. We'll go with the fixture that can get closest to our 2kw fresnel output at its widest angle.

For the cyc lights it looks like 8-10 ETC colorsource spots with cyc attachment. Will get some zoom lenses for these also.....

We actually have 5 of the Chauvet rogue R2 spots and think they are fantastic units especially for the money. The downsides are: no zoom, it uses a colour wheel and there's no fan control. But they are very very bright.

Cheers, again!

The R2 washes are actually what I was suggesting - the R2 spots are great too, the company that I work for has 18 of them in rental/production stock now and they are a hot item. We have another gobo to replace that "stick men" gobo, Apollo MS1041 "Crazy Blocks" that really slices through haze nicely and also is great for a stage breakup gobo as well as something to throw out in to the house for a preshow look on the ceiling/walls. If you already have 5 R2 spots, I'd recommend getting some more so that you have more of a full system of them. Maybe 5-7 more (the cost of one to two higher tier movers) so that you've got enough to make some nice big looks with. Replace some of the gobos with ones that you want - it really makes the fixture a lot better. I'm also partial to Apollo "Shaky Drain" gobo.

The R2 Washes are basically an Aura but without the "Aura" backlight effect with a lot more oomph but also section control - you have control of 5 discrete sections of LEDs on the unit, which means you can do ring effects, just have the center pixel or center 7 pixels on, just have the top or bottom half of the fixture on, &c. Pretty slick. You should definitely get a demo to check out.

I have 12 of the Chauvet R2 Washes on an opera right now, the designer originally got them because they couldn't afford auras, but now he is singing a different tune now that he has used them for himself. I consider opera designers to be the most picky, so if those lights keep him happy, that say's a lot!

Do you find these fixtures bright enough? I'm needing it to replace 2kw strand fresnels. The strands give out around 410 lumens at 9 meters. I think it might have to be the quantum wash for us. Are the aura's quiet? Whatever we buy must be quiet enough to light an orchestra.

I have my local martin rep visiting next week hopefully with a selection of fixtures.

Yes, plenty of punch in the R&R colors as well as medium tint range. Not quite as bright in N/C as an S4 wide PAR with a 750 lamp, but punchier in all other colors so I'm plenty happy with them.

Plus with the 9 units at the zoom range 11-55, they replaced a 6 color conventional rep hang of mixed S4 Pars and zooms, saving 45 minutes of JLG focus time for each event. It's possible they've paid for themselves in crew time by now.

They are reasonably quiet, much quieter then the MAC 700's that sit alongside. When I use the Aura's alone, I get no complaints from Audio, where as for some events I have to set the 700's to regulated fan mode so they don't come on unless they get hot.

Would I use these for orchestras though ?. No. I don't think the white, even in color corrected mode is as nice as what you get out of an incandescent or a Selador 7 color system, which I demo'd and was impressed with. Personal choice though and a demo will let you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back