Rigging Speakers

albinotuba

I’m a sound guy, and I’ve never done a gig where I wasn’t using the house system. I have a few questions about events where you bring in your own sound system:
  1. Where do you drawn the line between audio and rigging? When designing the sound system for an event, the load capacity of the rigging, the availability of rigging points, and the weight of the speaker arrays has to be taken into account, so there has to be some communication going on between the rigging guys and the sound guys. Is there some overlap, or are the lines pretty clearly drawn? Is weight a factor? (I know that when hanging microphones above the stage there’s no need to get a rigger involved because they weigh a fraction of a pound at most. I did a gig once where I was told that anything above 50 pounds would require “approval.” Is 50 pounds some kind of official cutoff point or was that unique to that one venue?)
  2. How conversant in rigging terminology should the sound guys be? Do I just point at the ceiling and say “I want it to go there” or is there more to it than that? (I’m assuming there’s more to it than that but I don’t know).
  3. Who is responsible for rigging speaker arrays? I’m assuming sound handles them when they’re on the ground and the the riggers takes over when they go up. Is that accurate? Does that change based on the scale of the event? Are there events where the riggers would just install a hoist and leave it up to me to take it from there? Do you need special training to operate a hoist?
  4. What about permanent installation of speakers in a venue? Are the rules different if it’s going to be hung up and left for 20 years versus a touring show where the rigging only stays in place for a few days?
  5. What about safety harnesses? If I need to go up into the rigging, should I be trained to use a harness, or is that something that happens on the job?
  6. Ladders, scissor lifts, and scaffolding - do you need special training to use and of these? Can anyone operate a Genie lift or do you need training to do it?
Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks!

Dear rigger wannabe. Just kidding.

All good question. If your not sure, don't guess and don't do it.

Stacking speakers on the ground is fine as they are designed for that. But once you want to elevate them. Then, rigging and structural professionals need to be involved. It is not a weight limit. Even 10 lbs mounted overhead can be life threatening if not done safely. Plan ahead.
Liability comes into play. Be sure you follow code and standards.

In most cases riggers will come in, "float" the motors (hang bridles if needed, get the motors off the ground) , and after that each department will take over and get their gear attached to the motors and trimmed.

Yes, you should let them know how much each array weighs. You should let them know if you need any cable management picks. However, you should know your gear inside and out after the motor. You should know how to use your flyware. You should know how to fly and land your arrays safely.

If you don't, every manufacture will provide deployment training when you buy the gear. If they did not, call them. Every array goes up a bit different.

To answer by numbers:
1. How conversant in rigging terminology should the sound guys be? Do I just point at the ceiling and say “I want it to go there” or is there more to it than that? (I’m assuming there’s more to it than that but I don’t know).

Not particularly. You could always do a rigging course if it interests you. The simple fact is that normally a line array will be lifted by one, two or three hoists. These will clip onto the frame, in locations determined by the calculation software. All you have to do is work out where on the frame the hoists will be, and thus - based on your desired array locations - mark your rigging points onto the CAD of the venue. Each point should be mm accurate, and labelled with a point name, and the weight it will take. Don't worry about adding in extra - the riggers can do that. Just tell them the weights you will put on the point - you can get these from the calculation software too. You will probably also want to add in a cable pick or two, per array.

Don't point to the ceiling. Just draw it on the plot. It's easier for everybody.

Who is responsible for rigging speaker arrays? I’m assuming sound handles them when they’re on the ground and the the riggers takes over when they go up. Is that accurate? Does that change based on the scale of the event? Are there events where the riggers would just install a hoist and leave it up to me to take it from there? Do you need special training to operate a hoist?

Normal routine is riggers hang the points which will include the motor chains and will leave 1/2/3 motors hanging per array depending on your configuration. You'll then also usually be given a controller, and you'll be expected to operate the hoists, do lift the fly frame and the cabinets in the correct manner to link them all together. You will want to use the hoists yourselves, when setting angles etc there is a real need to be bumping back and forth to get the holes lined up. It's one thing on a little hang of dV-dosc to line them up with a podger, but if you're hanging J-Subs you will not manage. This is generally how it'll go on any event and certainly how touring shows do it.

In terms of hoist training - you need to be competent. That's the law. So you could do a rigging course, and also the manufacturer training for the array... or you could possibly get on the job training from your employer. But yes - bad rigging is very dangerous, so if you don't feel you're competent, you will need to partake in some sort of training to change that.

3.What about permanent installation of speakers in a venue? Are the rules different if it’s going to be hung up and left for 20 years versus a touring show where the rigging only stays in place for a few days?

Permanent installs are not different at all. The points need to be installed by competent riggers, and the sound kit installed by competent sound engineers. The only difference is that an inspections firm may be required to carry out periodic inspections on the equipment to note any issues.

What about safety harnesses? If I need to go up into the rigging, should I be trained to use a harness, or is that something that happens on the job?

You will need a safety harness to work at height in certain scenarios if not safer way of working can be achieved. To work in a harness - you must be competent. It's the law. It will also help you not to die. So again, this might involve formal training or on the job training - but the trainer should also be competent. Word of mouth is not enough. It's your life, and the lives of others... don't risk them to save yourself a few bucks on a course or from having to say no in front of your colleagues.

Ladders, scissor lifts, and scaffolding - do you need special training to use and of these? Can anyone operate a Genie lift or do you need training to do it?
Sorry for all the questions.

Again, you need to be competent (see a pattern forming here?). See above, about competence.

----------------------------------

Your questions are valid but naive to a point. To use any equipment which could be hazardous to yourself or others, you need to be competent. Whether that is a motor controller or a boom lift, it's something you need to know how to use safely otherwise you will endanger yourself and others. Don't insist on competence because the rule book says so, don't insist on competence because the internet said so... insist on competence because if you don't, you may well end up either dead, in a wheelchair, or in a court room explaining why somebody else is in one of the aforementioned places; or simply why you have done millions of dollars of damage to a building and/or equipment.

Don't do anything unless you know what you're doing. Live by that rule, and all of your questions will be solved for you. Don't rely on the internet for advice either... I don't mind answering, but any self-discerning show guest would, I'm sure, prefer to know that the 2-ton line array dangling over their head was hung by somebody truly competent in their discipline, not by somebody with an inquisitive mind and a Controlbooth account. I'm not putting you down mate, not at all. I had these questions once too. But seriously, learn it properly and do it right... this is not an area to learn from your mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back