Automated Fixtures 1 Moving Light

Using $ 4000.00 as a budget, you wouldn't necessarily be limited to one moving head if you look outside of the box.

Chauvet's new Q-Spot 260 LED is an impressive fixture feature wise, output wise and price wise.

If Flash & trash is the intended application this may be the fixture, and you could own 4 of them.

This actually sounds like a better idea than 1 light, 4 or 5 is doable with our budget. Is there anyone that has had problems with this light?

In regards to the console we are using it is a Strand 300 series, with a trackball. I know it isn't the best but most of the time we are running a cue stack so I can deal with it.

I'm going to throw my weight behind getting a VL1k or the Studio Spot 575, if you are going for just 1.

However, I do like BillESC's idea.

Now, I know it's not a ML itself, but if my school had the budget for one moving light, I think I would have to recommend Apollo Right Arm+Scroller. (Or Arms and Scrollers.) Personally, I think that it would offer more, as you don't always have to have the same instrument on, thus allowing you to change your look from show to show.

If you aren't using it for front light you could get 2 Elation Vizi 5R Platinum or if you don't motorized focus, you could get 3-4 of the standard Vizi 5R.

You could get a couple of Robe Plasma 300 fixtures.

There are a ton of options if you don't need to mix them with tungsten sources as front lights.

Mike

That's like saying I want to buy only one shoe ....

What's your throw distance?
What type of shows?
What lighting board?
Where will it be mounted?
Do you need quality or just want students to learn how to control it?
Who near you can repair it when (When, not if) it needs repaired?
What is the overal goal of having it?

You may be able to buy two clay-paky or two g-lights for the price of one Martin or Vari-lite so do some soul searching as to why you actually need or want it.

Since it sounds like you're looking for something teachable rather than something to fill a specific production need, I might start looking at local shops in the area to determine what's available and what brands are stocked. In my area, specing anything other than a certain manufacturer's moving lights puts me over 6 hours away from any shops which can either repair the unit onsite or provide me replacement parts. Since you're in Chicago, that may not be as much of a factor, but still something to consider. Also, maybe look for a shop that can help you with the educational element. If you can establish a good relationship with a shop where your students can come in to be professionally trained on a variety of moving heads, that would definitely be a big bonus. This to me seems like one of those situations where spending slightly more for the same product from a local vendor could pay off big-time in the long run.

This may not be possible, but I wonder if a shop would let you exchange your unit periodically for a different one? For example, maybe they have an old VK1KTS that's seen its share of rentals but that no one wants to buy. You might be able to negotiate to purchase it for a lower price, and then maybe swap it out for a VL3K from rental stock halfway through the year to give your students experience on multiple moving heads. This may not be feasible or cost-effective, it's just an idea that suddenly popped into my head.

That's like saying I want to buy only one shoe ....

What's your throw distance?
What type of shows?
What lighting board?
Where will it be mounted?
Do you need quality or just want students to learn how to control it?
Who near you can repair it when (When, not if) it needs repaired?
What is the overal goal of having it?

You may be able to buy two clay-paky or two g-lights for the price of one Martin or Vari-lite so do some soul searching as to why you actually need or want it.
You definitely can't get two Clay-Pakys for the price of a Martin or Vari-Lite. In most cases, CPs are more expensive than a comparable wattage Martin and about the same price as a Vari-Lite. I love Clay Pakys but their Alpha Spot 300 HPE lists for $8k (the wash is a few grand less) so they are NOT a budget option. I would look at Elations for a budget conscious choice.

Depends on the use. We are buying 1 ML so that students can learn how to take them apart, work with their guts, and fix them, along with the basics of how to patch/control a multi-parameter fixture. Its being bought for a specific class, not to be used in shows. In the grand plan, next year the theatre is buying LEDs and then year after that 8 moving heads. But for now, 1 ML is enough to start teaching students how to do basic functions.

That alone is a good enough reason. Most professional companies won't even hire you if you do not have moving light experience. Having one to learn from and giving the students that experience is better than no experience at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back