120/125v 100w par20??

Does anyone happen to know where I can locate some 100 watt par20 lamps?? Narrow spots and wide floods. Using google for this type of search is pretty much useless. Thanks for your help.

Neither Osram/Sylvania nor GE appear to make a PAR20 greater than 50W. Would a 100W 120V MR-16 "JDR-type" lamp work, at least for the wide?
US JDR120V-100WL/W #1001017 | USHIO | Halogen
JDR Type Medium Base (E-26) / MR16 2 Diameter Flood / Line Voltage / 100 Watt: Light Bulbs Etc, Inc.

I can't seem to find a narrow version at 100W. Here's a 75W spot (14°) version: http://www.bulbamerica.com/ushio-fsa-75w-120v-sp14-e17-base-mr16-halogen-bulb.html .

One caution on the 120V MR-16s: Those suckers get HOT! Almost as hot as a 1K FEL I'd guess.

Last edited:
It was my understanding that most MR lamps operate at lower voltages, such as 12 out 24 volts, and a transformer is needed to run them on 120v.

That being said, my biggest concern is whether or not they will be dimmable with a cd80 pack. The second concern is the faceted reflector. That pretty much requires that I use diffusion gel to obtain a smooth beam spread, and also will reduce the output.

I may have to use these style though. I have been using 50 watt par16 lamps, bit they just don't have the punch I want, in order to use them with some of the darker gels I use.

These are being used primarily as back lighting, in small clubs, for bands.

Does anyone happen to know where I can locate some 100 watt par20 lamps?? Narrow spots and wide floods. Using google for this type of search is pretty much useless. Thanks for your help.

I can tell you where to get a 60w version, but often production types jump thru hoops in pleasing the lack of say English languate type technology info provided from those requesting the gear in speaking even if the same = broken English if it's still giberish in not making sense by way of reaity.

No, in jumping thru your loop there is no such thing as a 100w PAR 20.

Now back to your challenge in saying - nope.. don't exist what you want, attempting to educate and figure out what the heck is requested - but not stepping on toes in some presteen concept of someone that is sending you money but don't know what the heck he/she is talking about.

Often as a concept, it's like me in understanding DMX in a programming way. Yea, I get the 512 channel and channel per feature but when one comes to the dip switch or actual programming... I can do it but even if I do so,it's not something I do thus remember later in need to know. For me, lamps I know and I often run into club owners that often are best pressed to say remember that they need a 750w HPL lamp as good for them at least. After that and as similar to me, black hole in what they have bought for the past say at least half dozen years.

Granted I tend to learn stuff but more focus on the lamps as opposed to at times which stripper is sick or ready also in problems for them. Don't onyl sell to stip clups but often prime example of was it a ELC or ELC/5 or ELC/10 you last bought in helping them type stuff.

Can understand such a distraction in some cases (even if explained and a month later fogotton) and what the heck sell them the high output lamps in making money and not requesting the cost effectiveness - this concept after having been discussed.

For designers requesting such a lamp, I would play it cautious in some places will adapt this request to other stuff without asking. Say a 100W JDR/MR-16 E-26 lamp. Yep, it's a MR-16 lamp lamp with a screw base inside a PAR 20 fixture and you wouldn't believe how many even pro-designers don't have a clue. It's just expected
That's a stock concept mostly especially for inside truss lighting and for other things. Normally, the PAR 16 fixture don't exist these days I think, but the 100w lamp for a PAR 20 is like DMX for me in a detail or two or three that I just miss.

Assuming the designer knows fixture/lamp technology these days is perhaps too much to ask as a concept given the amount of fixtures to the market and especially for conventional types, ability to re-lamp.

Educate and re-clarify without demeaning but helping somehthing like... did you mean going with like a JDR - MR-16 lamp at 100w wihin this PAR 20 fixture? What beam spread did you want for it? Such a question in clarification yet reinforcing your help to them and in general getting what the want will help a lot.

That simple interaction in refinement helps establish your help, knowledge and concern for the production. Correction yet education. Than after that, what beam spread would you like in offering three gets the deal done in figuring out what the designer wants and helping in that way. (Often in it mostly not mattering what specified beam spread is negotiable beyond that concept.

Hope it helps.... been thru many similar problems, twelve years later I have tact but also authority in giving them what they want even if not able to specify it. Communication. Took time but often the designers refine their request thru my tact and or at times saying it don't exist and with that education further. At times I take it easy on them but oveall they get an education for help I think in even if I know they mean a PAR 20 fixture with 100JDR-MR16-E-26 lamp within it, there is still three beam spreads to offer.
Let's refine your request in all of us able with training refine this request.

Last edited:
Locally I use:
Visions In Color Inc
2101 West Burbank Boulevard, Burbank, CA 91506-1231
(818) 566-1114
or
Bulbtronics
[email protected]
1-800-654-8542
Fax: 631-249-6066

on the interwebs i found: mr16usa.com (I've never used them)

Let's refine your request in all of us able with training refine this request.

I would guess you mean an mr-16...
I would venture to state mr-16's come in 'hundreds' of different configurations.
1w to 300w.
Less than 12v to 120v.
Bases vary also, such as GU5.3 2-Pin Base, GU4 2-Pin Base, E-26 med screw base, E-17 etc.
Par16 cans hold the bi pin type mr-16's, but JDR E-17 don't fit. Par20's hold JDR E-17 types.

I've noticed the low voltage bulbs use a round bi pin, the line(120v) voltage bulbs use a flat blade type bi pin. When I've used the 300w mr-16's in par cans, they melt the plastic yoke knobs & friction rings. Stinky:oops:
But hey, that's me on a film set, not a stage show. As far as spread goes, I find Par16 & Par20's are inherently limited. That's why I never use them to light bands. It takes too many to get good coverage. I'll use Par 20's as curtain or truss warmers or other specials. For a band I have other fixtures @ my disposal, like the rest of the par sizes, 36, 38, 46, 56 & the work horse 64's.

Last edited:
To clarify what I am looking for,...the highest lumen output i can get in a 120v e26/27 base that will fit in a par20 can. Preferably a parabolic reflector, opposed to the faceted ones. I limit it to 100 watts for reasons such as heat & power limitations of the small clubs. As far as beam spread, ... I'll have to choose from whatever is available.

I have found a few websights that have them. donsbulbs has a very limited quantity (no where near the number I need), and a sight for a business in argentina (I'm always wary dealing with third world countries).
I'll check with the places you mentioned, Gern.

The low ceilings really prohibit the use of my 38s, as does the tables and seating very close to the performance areas. The 38s are being used for front lighting (spots/washes).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back