6-Pin DMX In?

RayBratton

Got a call from a lady that says the DMX-In receptacles in her space have 6-Pins. Is this even possible? 3-PIN for XLR, 4-Pin for Scrollers, 5-Pin DMX standard, no? What the heck is a 6-Pin?? Is she mistakenly trying the comm port instead of DMX?

Last edited:
Although there are 6 pin XLR connectors, it would no longer be called DMX as the protocol calls for 5. Make sure there is not a miscount going on. If there are 6 pins I would worry that the original installer was doing something besides running DMX. Best to open up one of those wall plates and see what is connected. Since DMX only actually uses 3 of the pins, my concern may be that something is piggybacked on the system such as a Com system with a DC voltage on one of those pins. If it turns out that only 3 pins are wired and that it is DMX, then I would consider changing the wall plates to a standard 5 pin DMX. Probably cheaper than making up adapters that go from 5 to 6.
Note: Some systems do have a second pair of wires connected to pins 4 and 5, but DMX never set a standard for their use. (Although, some of us have got creative with them ;) )

Got a call from a lady that says the DMX-In receptacles in her space have 6-Pins. Is this even possible? 3-PIN for XLR, 4-Pin for Scrollers, 5-Pin DMX standard, no? What the heck is a 6-Pin?? Is she mistakenly trying the comm port instead of DMX?
@RayBratton Also, note that there are two different configurations of 'XLR style' 6 contact connectors. Initially Cannon had a 6 contact format. When Switchcraft began manufacturing 'XLR style' connectors, they made their 3,4,5 & 7 contact connectors compatible / intermateable with the Cannons but the Switchcraft 6 contact connectors, which ClearCom uses for some two-channel configurations, are NOT intermateable with the Cannons. The wise folk at Neutrik offer their 6 contact 'XLR style' connectors in both 6 contact formats. Choose thy 6 six contact 'XLR style' connectors carefully.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
Although there are 6 pin XLR connectors, it would no longer be called DMX as the protocol calls for 5. Make sure there is not a miscount going on. If there are 6 pins I would worry that the original installer was doing something besides running DMX. Best to open up one of those wall plates and see what is connected. Since DMX only actually uses 3 of the pins, my concern may be that something is piggybacked on the system such as a Com system with a DC voltage on one of those pins. If it turns out that only 3 pins are wired and that it is DMX, then I would consider changing the wall plates to a standard 5 pin DMX. Probably cheaper than making up adapters that go from 5 to 6.
Note: Some systems do have a second pair of wires connected to pins 4 and 5, but DMX never set a standard for their use. (Although, some of us have got creative with them ;) )
@RayBratton Alternatively, depending upon the exact model of he 6 contact connector, it MAY be possible to swap the actual contact inserts within the connector bodies and re-use the existing plates, connector bodies, mounting hardware and engraving / labeling. This MAY be an expedient method of changing the connectors to 5 contacts IF DESIRED.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
Alternatively, depending upon the exact model of he 6 contact connector, it MAY be possible to swap the actual contact inserts within the connector bodies and re-use the existing plates, connector bodies, mounting hardware and engraving / labeling.
Often, this is very do-able. With the old switchcraft (The type where the inserts were made out of that old brittle compressed turquoise powder/plastic) the inserts were all directly interchangeable. Did that many times! Same with the old XLRs from Canon. Not sure of the others. Would save a lot of work.

I'm thinking she is mistaken. Probably NOT DMX.
First guess would be RFU (and she doesn't know better)
or 2 channel clear com port.

Often, this is very do-able. With the old switchcraft (The type where the inserts were made out of that old brittle compressed turquoise powder/plastic) the inserts were all directly interchangeable. Did that many times! Same with the old XLRs from Canon. Not sure of the others. Would save a lot of work.
@JD; Do you think we ought to tell him about the left-hand, reverse, threaded slot-head machine screw locking Switchcraft's inserts into their mounts or should we leave that for his further enjoyment?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

RFU and ETC link are 6.

Good Afternoon!

Strand Lighting also used 6-pin for wired focus remotes as well as for Portable Outllook and Premiere control stations. I believe that they still use 6-pin for portable Vision.Net stations but that should be verified with Strand.

I think that it is very doubtful that these connectors are DMX512. An inspection of the console receptacle station in the booth would serve to answer this question. If there is a 6-pin connector there (and 5-pin connectors for DMX512 as well), then a continuity check between that connector and the one(s) on stage would confirm that the wiring was put in place to support the use of a wired focus remote. If the desk in the booth has jumpers going to the jacks, then see how the mating jacks on the back of the desk might be labled and that could answer the question.

In any event, the use of 6-pin XLR in our industry has pretty much ended. In fact, we have discontinued offering 6-pin modular receptacles in our cataloig and no one is complaining.

Best Regards,
Pathway Connectivity

Van Rommel
Director Business Development

Good Afternoon!

Strand Lighting also used 6-pin for wired focus remotes as well as for Portable Outllook and Premiere control stations. I believe that they still use 6-pin for portable Vision.Net stations but that should be verified with Strand.

I think that it is very doubtful that these connectors are DMX512. An inspection of the console receptacle station in the booth would serve to answer this question. If there is a 6-pin connector there (and 5-pin connectors for DMX512 as well), then a continuity check between that connector and the one(s) on stage would confirm that the wiring was put in place to support the use of a wired focus remote. If the desk in the booth has jumpers going to the jacks, then see how the mating jacks on the back of the desk might be labled and that could answer the question.

In any event, the use of 6-pin XLR in our industry has pretty much ended. In fact, we have discontinued offering 6-pin modular receptacles in our cataloig and no one is complaining.

Best Regards,
Pathway Connectivity

Van Rommel
Director Business Development
Strand were also using 6 contact XLR's for CD80AE (Advanced Electronics) dimmer rack hand-held remotes as well.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

@JD; Do you think we ought to tell him about the left-hand, reverse, threaded slot-head machine screw locking Switchcraft's inserts into their mounts or should we leave that for his further enjoyment?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
Nah! Too much fun discovering that for the first time! Some adventures you just have to experience to enjoy.

Just to confuse things a little: the wire used for an ETC RFU or for ETCLink is also suitable for DMX, so I have taken advantage of that a couple times to turn an unused RFU line into an extra run of DMX (using appropriate 5-6pin adapters on each end). That sort of re-purposing could be what's going on here...

Just to confuse things a little: the wire used for an ETC RFU or for ETCLink is also suitable for DMX, so I have taken advantage of that a couple times to turn an unused RFU line into an extra run of DMX (using appropriate 5-6pin adapters on each end). That sort of re-purposing could be what's going on here...

I could see repurposing the wire but why confuse it up with keeping the connector swap the 6 with the 5 and burn the sixth wire.

I'm gonna say the lady was mistaken and confused by her ports.

If memory service, a male 5 pin can plug into a female 6.

What have you used the other 2 pins for?

Old thread, I know.

Careful with this. If you've only got one RFU port it should work. If you've got multiple ports around your venue that all branch from the console, that's a no-no for DMX. The (Strand) RFU protocol was tolerant of this, but DMX isn't.

I'm aware this is an old post by this point, but are you sure? The programmer inputs on the front of our CD80-AE (inexplicably) use the standard DMX 5-pin connector, and the remote house control unit uses a d-sub serial connector
@EdSavoie Hi Ed; In one installation there was a Strand LP90 in its three piece configuration, main console controls with a separate 24 slider sub-master wing and common control tower. The tower used two runs of AMX-192 to drive 4 CD80 AMX-192 racks and had an XLR-6 for its LP90 console remote. The exact same hand-held unit with the same XLR-6 connector would plug into a different venue's CD80AE and function as its CD80AE rack remote. The EXACT, VERY SAME, hand-held unit with the ONLY difference being which plastic overlay was placed over the push-buttons to identify their functions. I first learned this trick from the crew in nearby Brantford, Ontario who were able to use their same hand-held remote unit with two different overlays to control their LP90 console or their CD80AE dimmer rack for its house and work light functions. Several times per year, I would loan Theatre Aquarius' LP90 console remote to another venue to control their CD80AE rack. The LP90 overlay was attached permanently to the remote by its adhesive backing. The CD80AE overlay was simply laid temporarily over the top whenever used. The remote belonged to Theatre Aquarius and lived there. The other venue kept their overlay and borrowed the hand-held about three times per year. That's pretty much all I can tell you.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back