The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

$70 all in one mumble server and wifi

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by jtweigandt, Dec 9, 2017.

1. jtweigandt

jtweigandt Active Member

Unfortunately, until they change the firmware/software bluetooth headsets won't work with the pi :-( One guy did some very heroic investigation/programmng/trials. Bluetooth out OK bluetooth in nope... however it works with just about any usb headset. Or bluetooth with a dedicated dongle like the logitech H800 .. the difference is that the dongle presents itself as a usb device, and the bluetooth stuff is all handled pre pi in the dongle itself. Like your cordless mouse. I also can't get bluetooth wireless headsets to work with the mumble app on the phone... which was a real bummer as well.

2. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

Crap; really? Bummer.

3. jtweigandt

jtweigandt Active Member

The logitech H820 usb/wireless headset is absolutely da bomb.. 300 foot range from base. Works with the pi.
    I have gotten some used for 50 bucks a pop Normally about 100 bucks new. Total theatrical freedom for us. You run the mumble audio wizard, and it will seem like the mic is working but the
    audio isn't, until you shut down mumble, and reboot.. then all is happy from that day forward.

4. jtweigandt

jtweigandt Active Member

Jay Ashworth likes this.
  5. Jay Ashworth

Ah... Lennart Strikes Again.

Will no one rid me of this troublesome programmer?

6. jtweigandt

jtweigandt Active Member

I just googled him He cost me 2 days of my life once. I see he was a major contributor to avahi, and various zeroconfig schemes that work like apple's bonjour. They use a domain name called .local Turns out that some ISP DNS servers expose you to a non local .local domain.. If that happens, suddenly your printers will drop out of sight, along with other network browsing mischief. 2 days of digging to see why my network worked disconnected from the internet, and would go to hell in a handbasket connected to the internet. ISP gave me an alternate DNS address once I googled and cursed enough to figure it out.

7. Jay Ashworth

I can beat that.

I had a couple of Windows networks go Tango Uniform a few years ago, when -- without warning -- Verizon DSL's DHCP servers started supplying a domain name to the modem (and hence, my router's DHCP server and my workstations), where they never had before.

Took me almost 2 hours to figure it out, and come up with a solution.

Well, ok, maybe it doesn't beat 2 days... ;-)

RonHebbard likes this.
  8. jtweigandt

jtweigandt Active Member

One more piece to the puzzle of making a pi zero into a reliable headless station. Turns out if I left the zero on a long time the OS screen blanking would evidently kick in. Then some setting would keep it from re booting
    with the GUI active. Setting higher vid memory seemed to help.. but eventually would go into no gui mode. I installed xscreensaver, which disables the native screen blanking, and then set the screensaver to none..off.. Voila. Up now for a week.. no drops. did sucessful reboots multiple times just to torture test them. Mame is going well.. up to 8 stations logged in at a time. Mostly just booth SL and SR actually active and talking The server Pi3 has yet to show any stress or problems running since this winter. Now with all the clients reliable, I"m having some great fun. I have a tablet with all their vnc logins pre entered, so we can check the status of any station from the booth... or even reboot.