Design Adding LED Lights to a Theater

A few things.

Looks like a lot of good advice so far. As far as powering your fixtures goes, given the low power requirements of LEDs, the simples thing to do, and probably the most cost effective is to get a couple relay modules for the dimming system that exists in your theatre. If it is an ETC or Strand system, it should be quite easy to get relay modules from your local dealer. If it is a leviton or other second tier brand, it may be harder.

Others have mentioned adding portable relay packs, but this doesn't solve the issue of running appropriate power to the lighting positions. Portable packs usually require two non-dim circuits anyway, so if you were going to go this route, you might as well skip the portable packs and just run power to the LEDs... Saves cost and removes a point of failure in the system.

As for running data to your units, as people have mentioned, one of the most common ways to do this from an Express is to use the second DMX output. However, if your console is in a booth in the back of the theatre, you are talking about quite a long run of DMX cable to get to the stage and up to your electrics. It may also require pulling cable through conduit and such, which may require facility electricians.

If it is inconvenient to run a whole second DMX line from the booth to the stage, you can probably add an opto splitter into the DMX line that feeds the dimmers. Assuming that the DMX line is not hardwired into the rack and there is a connection that you can just unplug, all you would have to do is disconnect the feed to the dimmers, plug it to the input on the splitter, and then plug one output from the splitter to your dimmers and use the others for your LEDs.

While there are wireless options available, I would suggest not using them unless there is no other solution. I have had great experience with the wireless products I own (RC4 from Theatrewireless), but they only come out when there is no way to do a hardwire setup (moving scenery for example).

We're in the process of doing something similar. We switched out some modules in our Sensor rack to the constant power relays to provide power to the units. Our catwalk has DMX loops every 10 feet or so. We just tie into those when using LEDs in that space. We have another building on campus that doesn't have the loops. We did the same to provide power. For DMX, we have a Doug Fleenor Isolated Splitter in the booth. One line out of the console into the splitter. One line out of the splitter into the building's data input port. Then I have every other output from the splitter to run through the ceiling to wherever I need signal. It takes a lot of work just to do a specific hang in the space, but it's totally worth it to see everything in the end.

For LED power and DMX yes. I wouldn't recommend daisy chaining a bunch of 120v fixtures.

Yep own Reciever and Transmitter on a 2.4ghz band.
Going back to the discussion of how to power all this and stage pin plugs... What Brand/model of dimmer rack do you have? Are you familiar with the idea of swapping modules? I recently added some LED's to my theater. I swapped the modules for constant power modules. Then took some old stage pin two-fers and converted them so they were stage pin male and eddison female on the other. I've added a remotely controlled power strip (made by Stanley) so I can kill the power strips from the deck. Now my LED's safely run off of non-dimmed power out of a stage pin plug and I can easily turn them off for the night.
Not sure what dimmer rack I have, but that sounds like a decent solution, though I don't like the idea of having to sacrifice stage pin plugs for it

though I don't like the idea of having to sacrifice stage pin plugs for it

I didn't either, but then I saw how much it was going to cost to get an electrician in to run plugs. Sacrificing one channel per batten seemed like a fair compromise, and left more money in the budget for the purchase of the actual LED instruments instead of blowing it on the infrastructure to support them. Keep the old modules by the rack. If you ever need those channels to be dimmable again, changing out the module is easy enough.

Not sure what dimmer rack I have, but that sounds like a decent solution, though I don't like the idea of having to sacrifice stage pin plugs for it
As Tim and Les have said. When you do the math on the load and discover you will only need to give up 1 or 2 circuits per electric to power your LED's you will change your mind. I want to add LED downlight to my stage to free up circuits so I can have room for more specials and better frontlight on stage.

Very few, if any, installed dimmer racks have a DMX512 output/pass-thru.

In my experience all DMX devices have a 'thru', including every installed dimmer rack I've seen. Not many have the an outlet wired up to them, but the possibility is there. Even if there isn't a dedicated termination for it you can continue a DMX run with 'touch-n-go' wiring. A short piece of cable, j-box and a wall plate can be pretty inexpensive.

Getting someone who knows what they are doing to stick their hands inside your dimmer rack is the hard and expensive part.

In several theaters I have retrofit a second DMX line to the stage managers panel. This is especially useful if you have an Express type board but no DMX outlets on stage.

The short description is to use the spare pair of wires in a DMX run from the booth to the stage.

First, there must be a properly wired DMX input jack at the new location.
Secondly you must be willing to give up use of the 2nd data pair, that usually isn't used, and technically violate the letter of the DMX standard.
Third you need to find/make what used to be called a 'universe saver'. It's a break-in/out for the 2 data pairs in a standard DMX 5-pin system.
Lastly you get all the plug in the right place. Presto: addresses 513-1024 come out at the new plug, wherever it might be.
If that doesn't make sense then hire someone with the know-how and soldering skills to make it happen.

In several theaters I have retrofit a second DMX line to the stage managers panel. This is especially useful if you have an Express type board but no DMX outlets on stage.

The short description is to use the spare pair of wires in a DMX run from the booth to the stage.

First, there must be a properly wired DMX input jack at the new location.
Secondly you must be willing to give up use of the 2nd data pair, that usually isn't used, and technically violate the letter of the DMX standard.
Third you need to find/make what used to be called a 'universe saver'. It's a break-in/out for the 2 data pairs in a standard DMX 5-pin system.
Lastly you get all the plug in the right place. Presto: addresses 513-1024 come out at the new plug, wherever it might be.
If that doesn't make sense then hire someone with the know-how and soldering skills to make it happen.

While it won't make the DMX purists amoung us happy, that is a really good idea Rick. I wish I would have thought of that back when I was running a high school theater on no budget desperate to add some DMX options.

Others have mentioned adding portable relay packs, but this doesn't solve the issue of running appropriate power to the lighting positions. Portable packs usually require two non-dim circuits anyway, so if you were going to go this route, you might as well skip the portable packs and just run power to the LEDs... Saves cost and removes a point of failure in the system.
If you can't get a relay module for your dimmer rack but can get a constant power module, then the portable relay pack makes a lot of sense. The portable packs also make sense if you want to control power to different things on a batten separately that can be safely powered by the same circuit. While some packs require multiple input circuits so that they can control more total power output, there are also plenty of packs that use just one input circuit. Certainly a relay module in the rack is an economical way to get power for LEDs to the grid that can easily be cycled on and off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back