Adj Dotz Par Problem

Jrmuffun

I have a problem with the adj Dotz Par where I plug them in with dmx on dmx mode. They respond to what we tell them to and everything it's just they flash a white about every half a second. I truly have no idea what's going on. I have a show tonight that I would like to use them for but I just can't have them flash during blackouts and stuff...

I have a problem with the adj Dotz Par where I plug them in with dmx on dmx mode. They respond to what we tell them to and everything it's just they flash a white about every half a second. I truly have no idea what's going on. I have a show tonight that I would like to use them for but I just can't have them flash during blackouts and stuff...
Is your console or something else on the DMX line using RDM? If so, try turning it off. Sounds like the fixtures might be interpreting RDM messages as DMX.

I do have the signal terminated but I have an etc ion, would you know how to check if it's running on rdm. I have it plug into a raceway, the model is "entertainment technology IPS-IRW" if that helps. If you want pictures I can give you some.
Assuming that you are outputting DMX directly from the ports on the back of the Ion and not through a node or gateway via the network:

It depends on what software version you are running. Before version 2.8, you need to exit to the shell (File> Exit the EOS program and click "Settings")
In version 2.8 and later, DMX output configuration is done within the EOS program in Setup>System>Outputs

In both scenarios, find the setup option for RDM and uncheck it to disable RDM. You may need to restart the console.

-Todd

Assuming that you are outputting DMX directly from the ports on the back of the Ion and not through a node or gateway via the network:

It depends on what software version you are running. Before version 2.8, you need to exit to the shell (File> Exit the EOS program and click "Settings")
In version 2.8 and later, DMX output configuration is done within the EOS program in Setup>System>Outputs

In both scenarios, find the setup option for RDM and uncheck it to disable RDM. You may need to restart the console.

-Todd
Thanks you for the help. I'll try that out once I get back into the theatre but I also wonder if that might fix the problem with our moving lights. When we turn the ion off the lights move and turn on randomly through the night. If that dosent help our moving lights then it's probably the dimmer rack not shutting the light off properly but I honestly don't know. Anyway, thank you for the help!

When we turn the ion off the lights move and turn on randomly through the night.
If the Ion is off then it is not sending RDM or DMX anywhere. Something else is sending a signal that the lights are acting upon. It may be one or more of the fixtures themselves if they have a master/slave mode that kicks in on loss of DMX, for instance.

In any event it is considered a good practice to power off moving lights completely overnight.

In any event it is considered a good practice to power off moving lights completely overnight.
We can't power the lights off because they are hanging below our catwalk and we would have to hang off of the catwalk to power them off and it's only a high school. When we get the lamps replaced do you think there would be something in the menu on the light to change what it does in the event of loss of dmx? These are just problems that I have had for a while and we can live with it if it can't be fixed but it would just make shutting down easier. Thanks for your help again, this forum is quite great on how fast people respond.

We can't power the lights off because they are hanging below our catwalk and we would have to hang off of the catwalk to power them off and it's only a high school. When we get the lamps replaced do you think there would be something in the menu on the light to change what it does in the event of loss of dmx? These are just problems that I have had for a while and we can live with it if it can't be fixed but it would just make shutting down easier. Thanks for your help again, this forum is quite great on how fast people respond.
@Jrmuffun Can you not find and access the circuit breaker(s) powering the receptacles in use on your catwalk(s) , clearly label them and turn them off when the lights are not required? Not all (most) circuit breakers are not rated for switching duty: a; Would this solve your overnight problem? b; Even with labor, replacing a circuit breaker or two is likely more affordable than replacing your lights.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The IPS IRW raceway is a connector strip with built-in dimmers. It is not good practice to connect LED fixtures (unless specifically "mains dimmable" like the Altman Pegasus series) or moving lights to dimmers, even if they are parked at full. Unless there are non-dim (constant AC) outlets built into the raceway, connecting your LED fixtures to a dimmer is probably your issue here.
I haven't plugged the led fixtures into the stage pin, there is a dmx port on the side and I plugged the dmx into there. I'm getting power from an Edison plug on the front of the raceway that has constant power. Turning off RDM didn't work. I went through the manual and realized that two of the 4 channels had an rdm error. Now that rdm is off there is less flicker but it's still there when the lights are at 0% intensity. Would you have any other ideas on what I can do?

I haven't plugged the led fixtures into the stage pin, there is a dmx port on the side and I plugged the dmx into there. I'm getting power from an Edison plug on the front of the raceway that has constant power. Turning off RDM didn't work. I went through the manual and realized that two of the 4 channels had an rdm error. Now that rdm is off there is less flicker but it's still there when the lights are at 0% intensity. Would you have any other ideas on what I can do?
@Jrmuffun If you have the cable to try this, try connecting a DMX output directly from your console to one of your flickering lights and plug a terminating resistor into the light's DMX pass-through connector. Test extensively. If you're good at this point, unplug the terminator and extend the first fixture's pass-through to another light and plug your terminator into this second light's DMX pass-through connector. Test extensively. If still good; repeat as necessary. If not; pray.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

My first thought would be that the led pars are not in the correct mode IE: they are in a 6-channel mode which includes some preset chases, instead of 4-channel R,G,B+Dimming.

Second thought would be that maybe an xlr mic cable got mixed in with the 3-pin dmx cable, using the wrong cable can cause some weird behavior like this.

Third thought is tricky... Do you have house/work lights that can be controlled from a wall panel as well as the board? It seems like there is another device outputting dmx signal into the system that is mucking things up. Maybe, -after testing everything as Ron said- you can run a separate home run from the LEDs and Movers to the board to bypass whatever is the problem... The lights on the conventional dimmers don't randomly flash? Do the LEDs do this when moved to a different address range?

So a little update: I have gotten them to not flash, we got it to work for tonight while they were flashing but I think it's what Lynnchesque was saying about the wire. I grabbed to wire from our sound closet so that's most likely the problem but I go back in tomorrow morning so I'll test a bunch of things. I'll probably test what Ron was saying and plug it strait into the board and test it like that first and then I'll test the cables but past that I feel like it would just be the lights... Thanks for all the help, you guys are amazing!

My first thought would be that the led pars are not in the correct mode IE: they are in a 6-channel mode which includes some preset chases, instead of 4-channel R,G,B+Dimming.

Second thought would be that maybe an xlr mic cable got mixed in with the 3-pin dmx cable, using the wrong cable can cause some weird behavior like this.

Third thought is tricky... Do you have house/work lights that can be controlled from a wall panel as well as the board? It seems like there is another device outputting dmx signal into the system that is mucking things up. Maybe, -after testing everything as Ron said- you can run a separate home run from the LEDs and Movers to the board to bypass whatever is the problem... The lights on the conventional dimmers don't randomly flash? Do the LEDs do this when moved to a different address range?
Another update for you too. When we put the lights in a mode that on the screen starts with an r, the on electric we had it plugged into started freaking out and flashing but if they are in normal DMX mode then the conventional lights don't flash or anything, sense I last posted we plugged them into a dmx port on the wall and that didn't make them stop flashing but we were able to unplug them when we didn't need them. We do have another look lighting control system but it dosent usually ever interfere with other LED lights. Also, no matter the address, they always flash. Depending on some of the things we did it changed the flashsing intensity, I'm pretty sure when I turned off RDM it made them flash lighter but I don't know past that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back